ARMY vs. NAVY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boboo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is harder to get a specialty in the military? If so, which one is easier to specialize? ARMY or NAVY? I've heard the Air Force is full.

Also, does the military tend to push Osteopaths towards primary care? Or is it a equal playing ground with allopaths?

Also, do they look at your MCAT in the selection of a residency? Mine sucks, but I hope to do excellent on the boards.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!! :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by boboo:
•Does anyone know if it is harder to get a specialty in the military? If so, which one is easier to specialize? ARMY or NAVY? I've heard the Air Force is full.

Also, does the military tend to push Osteopaths towards primary care? Or is it a equal playing ground with allopaths?

Also, do they look at your MCAT in the selection of a residency? Mine sucks, but I hope to do excellent on the boards.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!! :clap: •••••you are asking alot of questions.
First they are not going to push you into some specialty you do not want(atleast that is how it is in the Army).
The Army will not distinguish DO from MD. It just does not work that way. I think that there are other factors that are more important to them.

I can not answer any more of your questions, because I just do not know. What service are you with? Everything I said only applies to Army-- I never bothered to find out about the other branches because I liked the Army the best. HOO-AH

Here's another thing to consider: would you rather spend six months every other year deployed on a ship in the middle of the ocean (not necessarily a bad thing) or deployed to some place like Bosnia, Kosovo, Kuwait or Afghanistan (not necessarily a bad thing either, depending on your perspective)? Yes, you will most likely get deployed several times. When you are trying to decide between the services, I don't recommend choosing merely on the basis of where you can get the best residency- all the services are roughly equal in that respect, although the army does offer slightly more slots for some specialties. Rather, consider which service's life style would fit you best. If you don't like getting dirty occassionally, go for the navy. If you can't stand the idea of being stuck on a ship for 6 months (or worse, a sub!), go for the army.

I chose Air Force. However, while I was doing some research on possible residencies, I found a Southern Illinois University website that helped explain the USAF, Army and Navy residency programs. I don't have the website address, but I'm sure if you go to a search engine and type in military residency programs or Southern IU military medicine it'll bring it up for you. Hope this helps out a little