Army Vs. Navy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RT0223

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am wondering which branch would give me a better chance of touring around the globe? I'm single and I don't mind to go to the poorest places if I have to for a short period of time. I contacted both branches and already started my applications but I want to make a decision soon so that I don't wast their time. Any opinion is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I am wondering which branch would give me a better chance of touring around the globe? I'm single and I don't mind to go to the poorest places if I have to for a short period of time. I contacted both branches and already started my applications but I want to make a decision soon so that I don't wast their time. Any opinion is greatly appreciated.

As the phrase goes, join the Navy see the world...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

If youjoin the Navy and get stationed on a west coast carrier, you will do a Pacific Cruise and will stop at places like Hawaii, Guam, Japan, Austrailia, Singapore and sometimes other places that I went to like South Korea, Hong Kong, and Thailand. If you get on an Eastcoast carrier, you'll do a Mediterranean cruise and stop at places like Crete, Greece, Portugal, UAE, Bahrain, Italy, France, Spain, etc.

If youjoin the Navy and get stationed on a west coast carrier, you will do a Pacific Cruise and will stop at places like Hawaii, Guam, Japan, Austrailia, Singapore and sometimes other places that I went to like South Korea, Hong Kong, and Thailand. If you get on an Eastcoast carrier, you'll do a Mediterranean cruise and stop at places like Crete, Greece, Portugal, UAE, Bahrain, Italy, France, Spain, etc.

WOW!!! Is it easy to get that position once you're done with dental school? Do you stay in a ship the whole time? How many days you get to stay in each countries?

Army can give you a pretty good chance of being stationed overseas(mainly Korea or Germany). Navy can give you a chance of both being stationed overseas - or being on a ship that stops in at different ports.

I heard once you get deployed, you'll stay in that country for about 2 years before you get to relocate again, is that true?

I heard once you get deployed, you'll stay in that country for about 2 years before you get to relocate again, is that true?
Deployed isn't the term I would use - stationed or assigned is a better word. When you get stationed overseas it will be for a minimum of 2 yrs if you are single or 3 yrs with your family. It can be extended if you like it.

I'm wondering how often and how long does the ship stop at varies places?

As far as the dental equipments go, which branch has better/more advanced dental technologies?

I'm wondering how often and how long does the ship stop at varies places?

As far as the dental equipments go, which branch has better/more advanced dental technologies?

Port visits vary in length. Anywhere from 1-2 days to about 10. If you are on a carrier, the amount of and legth of your visits shirink. Small boys pull in more places and sometimes stay longer. And not all ports are liberty ports. Sometimes they are what is called "working ports," where you will have normal work days.

Please let me know if this is correct...

If you want to travel, join the Navy cuz you can station in ship or on land, Navy has many ports all over the world.

If you want to specialize, join the Army cuz they have more funding and more slots for specialties.

Please let me know if this is correct...

If you want to travel, join the Navy cuz you can station in ship or on land, Navy has many ports all over the world.

If you want to specialize, join the Army cuz they have more funding and more slots for specialties.

I would agree with that. If anyone disagrees with the chance to specialize I would say to look at 2 things:

1) Navy and AF are downsizing while Army and Marines are increasing (if you downsize one branch you have to add to another)

2) I have personally called Navy Graduate Education and you can't get a straight answer about how many spots they have available. AF and Army have been able to post what they have (see other threads), but Navy seems to keep their numbers very secret)

The only addendum I would add is that if you want to see Korea or Germany join the Army :)

As the phrase goes, join the Navy see the world...

Yes, the Village People did give the best life advice.

Personally, both branches will give you the opportunity to see the world. What makes the difference is how you communicate with your assignments officer. If you tell them "Hi, I'm a young Captain and I want to go to the deepest darkest hole you can find" your wish will be granted :) All kidding aside, if you're up for an adventure, and you tell the assignments officer you don't mind where you're going, you may get the least popular destinations: Korea, Alaska, boondocks Louisiana, etc. Or if your desired post is one of the least popular, you'll get that assignment no problem.

A lot of the nicer places are reserved for those coming back from deployment, or somehow have earned a carete blanche on their next assignment request.

Thanks guys.

How often do they let you change the location? Say after 6 months stationed at Korea, I'm really to move on to the next adventure/station, how likely will that happen?

Thanks guys.

How often do they let you change the location? Say after 6 months stationed at Korea, I'm really to move on to the next adventure/station, how likely will that happen?
Not likely. Korean rotations are usually hardship (without family), one year duration, but with an almost guaranteed follow on assignment after that.

Most HPSPers without an AEGD stay in one duty station for the duration of their term (2-4 years).

But if you're thinking career, you're basically moving every 3 years or so.

Thanks guys.

There is a minimum amount of time you have to stay in certain locations. 1 yr is the minimum amount of time at any location. A 12-month AEGD, Korea, Kuwait, or Sinai (only 1 yr assignments I am aware of) you will almost always stay someplace at least 3 yrs.

If you do any post-graduate training, you will stay at that place until you graduate, then you will move.

If you go overseas (Alaska, Hawaii, Europe, Asia), it will be for a minimum of 3 yrs (not including Korea - unless you are single or go without your family, then it can be 2 yrs).

Typically most people are staying at a base 3-4 yrs.