Aromatic compounds question

Started by Leester
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Leester

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
upload_2014-5-16_18-32-47.png


Hey everyone. This is one of the questions from DAT bootcamp's question of the day series. I thought the only possible answer would be III. The answer turned out to be D (I and III). I thought compound 1 would not be aromatic because is is non-planar (Above 7 Carbons). Is compound 1 considered planar?

Thank you
 
I think the reason the first one is considered aromatic is because it follow's Huckel's Rule of 4n+2 (there are 14 pi electrons 4(3) + 2 = 14), is in a conjugated cyclic system, so it's most likely planar.
 
I talked to my orgo teacher about this question and he said it is a bad question b/c can be interpreted in different ways for which is aromatic or not bc not because like u said it could be non planar
 
Ah I see. I just remember in Chad's videos he said something like anything > 7 carbons in structure is non planar so this question was confusing. Appreciate it.
 
Ah I see. I just remember in Chad's videos he said something like anything > 7 carbons in structure is non planar so this question was confusing. Appreciate it.
Considering anything over 7 carbons as non planar and not aromatic is an OK way to think about it in a test prep sense, but there are quite a few compounds that are aromatic with more carbons. But yes, if you have 8 or 10 carbons then it won't be aromatic, so those are good to know and what the ADA will likely test on the planar concept of aromaticity.

Also, compound 1 is an aromatic annulene, it's large enough to accommodate all the double bonds and still be planar. You can see more information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclotetradecaheptaene