Arrests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPGator3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was arrested 3 times over five years ago for underage drinking offenses. Does anybody know how dental school admissions handle arrest records? Is this something that is going hurt me dramatically?

Members don't see this ad.

I was arrested 3 times over five years ago for underage drinking offenses. Does anybody know how dental school admissions handle arrest records? Is this something that is going hurt me dramatically?

It depends how you can convince the admission that it won’t be happen again in next five years! :cool:

It depends how you can convince the admission that it won’t be happen again in next five years! :cool:

You can probably convince them based on the fact that no one in dental school is under 21... :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I address it in my personal statement or should I wait until it is brought up?

You can probably convince them based on the fact that no one in dental school is under 21... :cool:

Says who? I have a friend who's 19 and starting med school this fall. Uncommon, but not impossible.

Should I address it in my personal statement or should I wait until it is brought up?

I wouldn't mention it unless it somehow led to some epiphany about how you needed to buckle down in school or something and positively influenced your grades. If it just happened, then don't call attention to it. If the application asks about any run-ins with the law, you should mention it there. You don't need to make a big deal about it, but it's not good to lie about it or hide it. But if they don't ask, no need to mention it.

Should I expect each school to do a criminal background check?

That depends on how eager ds are to see one of their colleagues on the 5 o'clock news.

Should I expect each school to do a criminal background check?

prior to matriculation, yes. prior to interview, probably not. but that doesn't mean they won't be afraid to let you go after acceptance either if they found out you were not up front on that section of AADSAS.

prior to matriculation, yes. prior to interview, probably not. but that doesn't mean they won't be afraid to let you go after acceptance either if they found out you were not up front on that section of AADSAS.

The AADSAS doesn't mention anything about criminal history. It only asks about disciplinary history from your school.

Yeah, I mean, heaven forbid that underage kids drink alcohol........