Does the criminal background check (where you were accepted) list arrests?...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

space cadet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
...or just convictions?

That is, if someone was arrested for a misdemeanor but never convicted of it and the charge was dropped is there a record of the arrest made known to the school where you've been accepted?

I was arrested for disorderly conduct a few years ago and eventually the charges were all dropped and the record sealed at the county courthouse. I'm wondering if arrest records will show up on the standard ADEA criminal background check or on any of the other criminal background checks any schools might run.

I'm losing sleep at night :scared: because although I was able to truthfully answer "NO" to the question on the AADSAS application, "Are you currently under charge or have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, other than minor traffic violations?"...

...I am worried about the next part, "...You may also be required to report one or more of the following types of records directly to your designated dental school with details about the judgments or disciplines: misdemeanor convictions, arrests for misdemeanors and felonies, adjudication withheld, nolo contendere, plea bargain"

I ran an official state background check and the official result came back "No Criminal Record Found"

Next I plan on getting an FBI criminal background check done.

I can't be dishonest with the school where I've been accepted but at the same time I don't want to disclose something that went away entirely thereby getting off on the wrong foot for the next 4 years of dental school.

If I have some information about this specific problem I have, maybe I can sleep better at night. Thanks:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

If you weren't convicted then it shouldn't be in your record. Hence, innocent until proven guilty.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys worry about silly things.
Answer all questions truthfully. Only include details absolutely necessary.
Were you convicted of ... No.
If the question is Were you arrested... Then it's Yes.
Explanation. Charges dropped, or whatever. They probably won't want any more details. If they do ask, generous spin doctoring of the basic details, big finish with charges dropped.
The end. If you did something bad enough to really worry about you would likely have been convicted. Multiple arrests, etc is a different story. Serious crimes (rape, felony assault, possession with intent to distribute, etc) are also tricky as your probably not going to be presumed innocent. That bias alone can make them give the thumbs down.

It won't show up on the background check. Don't lose sleep, you were not dishonest. The only time you might have had to bring it up is in some secondary applications they ask if you have ever been arrested. I think that's what the 'You may also be required to report...' statement is alluding to.