Arrowhead/Colton, CA (General Surgery)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_Surgeon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the program is associated with Western University? Being from DMU, I have seen that Mercy in Des Moines mainly selects graduates from DMU to fill their GS residency spots, does anyone know if this is also true for Arrowhead? Also I have heard that Colton isnt the greatest of areas...can anyone comment?

Members don't see this ad.

?????? :confused: ??????

I believe this program is affiliated with Western. I would appreciate input from anyone who knows the area (Colton/Riverside?), as I am not familiar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Though I can't comment on Arrowhead or the program there, I do know the area. It is about halfway b/w LA and Palm Springs, and is called the "inland empire" or also the armpit of southern california. It is hot as hell during the summer and twice as smoggy. However, there are nice communities in the vicinty and you are within an hour to LA, pasadena, Palm Springs. Another plus is that the cost of living is significantly less than LA. I imagine it would be a lot better than having to spend 5 years in Podunk, MI or OH.

This is an osteopathic general surgery program affiliated with Western University; this is a new program in its second year of inception, the provisional accreditation allows for acceptance of two residents per year through the AOA match. Vivian Davis, DO (chair of surgery @ western) is the program director. 1st year is an osteopathic internship year and the following four years are the general surgery years. Most rotations are @ arrowhead (san bernandino county hospital) with some rotations @ riverside county, transplant @ loma linda, and CT surgery @ St. Bernadine's; although this is a new program, the faculty is very academic oriented (this also serves as major teaching site for loma linda general surgery, residents will be working side by side with loma linda surgery residents), lots of pathology and trauma, new county hospital (one of the nicest hospitals I've seen).

:oops:

well..with cuts in resident hours many allopathic residencies are losing manpower.

So they have to spend money on hiring PAs or to be associated with some new residency to get help...

Nothing wrong with new residencies but someone them were created to back some allopathic residency manpower shortage...gee

Scut monkey all over again.........

Ask the prograrm if they are affiliated with another university program cuz they always have something...

Tired of seeing DO residents to be scut Monkeys.....
That is why community program is better..since it is closer to a real practice.

Now, Riverside gee boring place like 55 miles from LA...
I was there like two months ago not bad if you like some lame suburban venue...I guess you can hang in LA on weekends reading by the beach....