Arrowhead Regional Medical Center (Colton, CA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_Surgeon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the general surgery program? I found no information about the program on their website.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering the same thing. their website said nothing of it, but it is on DO-online

Anyone?

94 views and nobody has any info. Does the program actually exist?

Members don't see this ad :)
DO_Surgeon, I just PM'd you.

ba da bump! :clap:

info?? anyone?

I was a third and 4th year medical student, at Loma Linda University and Rotated through surgery there and I did a 1 month sub I in general surgery there as a 4th year student. The Loma Linda Surgical residents rotate through there and take trauma call. The experience there is just unreal. Your in the number 1 county in teh nation for crime. tons of penetrating and blunt trauma and burns. great burn unit also. My month there we averaged 75 patients we have to round on every day, insane. i usually got there at 3:30 am and residents showed up at 5-5:30 am. We had a huge group so everyone saw around 7 patients. Attendings are all about getting work done so rounding was done usually by 7:30-8 am. When i was there, was lots of talk about starting a DO program becuase there were not enough Loma Linda residents, so i dont know how the MD and DO residents get along or if they have different roles.

I'm a PGY1 @ MCO in ohio, I didn't apply to the loma linda program bc it was so huge, i wanted a smaller program.

Hope this helps.

I didnt realize this post was here...what is the area like? I know it is near San Bernadino (which isnt exactly 'rated' highly). Anyone ever live nearby?

I did a OB/GYN rotation there and had some contact with the surgical staff and interns. It seems as of now there is one upper level resident, an R-3, or R-4, or something like that.

Last I heard, there was only 1 expected DO spot per year. The program might also be selecting out of senoir resident pool instead of pgy-1 pool. Hence the reason, if you look on the DO intern match, no one matched for surgery at ARMC.

The area is as pretty crappy. Of course if you grew up in that area then it's beautiful. No offense. Lots of crime. Cars get stolen out of the hospital parking lot every month. It seemed quite a few patients in that general area had some drug abuse history of some sort. Hospital records were electronic, but still at times, services and so on seemed chaotic. It is a county hospital afterall. On the good side, there is definitely a lot to do, and the hospital is fairly new.

Please take this all with a grain of salt. These are just things I've heard from the interns at the hospital. They may have changed. It would seem to me that there are better surgical residency programs out there that are more established with better teaching. Loma Linda is right next door and would be a very good option.

So far, very little information is out there about this program that I've seen. You may want to call and ask the medical education dept. at that hospital about the program.