Article about the Pathology Blawg and Theranos takedown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

He deserves plaudits.I loved his BLAWG as it was informative and accurate on a multitude of pathology subjects including financial ones.I bet he was threatened by THERANOS.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I watched CSPAN last year and Carreyrou was on there talking about his book. He referenced the Pathology Blawg during his interview and he was kind of dismissive of the site. He said something along the lines that the site only had a few readers. I don't agree with him. That site had a pretty strong following and was a topic of conversation quite a lot in my circle. Too bad it became too time consuming.

They should get Woody Harrelson to play this guy in any Theranos movies.
 
I believe what he says in the article, that it was too time consuming.

He essentially had a walk off home run, helping take down Theranos. Great way to end it.

Wonder who did contact him with cease and desist letters. On another Pathology listserv/website, I was contacted by some goons years ago myself.
 
I believe what he says in the article, that it was too time consuming.

He essentially had a walk off home run, helping take down Theranos. Great way to end it.

Wonder who did contact him with cease and desist letters. On another Pathology listserv/website, I was contacted by some goons years ago myself.

My bet was a certain dermatopathologist of Caris/Miraca fame and then Strata Dx. His blog ended not long after he published some unsavory articles about some of their practices.
 
I wouldnt be surprised if organized pathology pressured him (CAP, ASCP, ABP, etc...). There was one string I remember right before he pulled the plug that was highly critical of ASCP and some reporter (who was not anonymous) was on the string trying to get information for a potential story. I thought the timing was very curious. Anyone else remember that?
 
There is a long list of suspects for sure. He did target in-office labs quite frequently. Seems like he had an exchange with the former owner of OurLabs as well.

I do remember him posting the salaries of people within the ASCP but don't remember any reporters looking for a story.
 
I wouldnt be surprised if organized pathology pressured him (CAP, ASCP, ABP, etc...). There was one string I remember right before he pulled the plug that was highly critical of ASCP and some reporter (who was not anonymous) was on the string trying to get information for a potential story. I thought the timing was very curious. Anyone else remember that?
I do. He published the annual report of the cap which showed, very clearly, that they're bankrolled by biglab (their revenue from pt is 50x more than their revenue from membership)
He also showed the cap executive were paid handsomely in the millions and received expensive perks like vacation homes. His work showed me that the cap really does work against our interests.

Shortly after that expose, he was taken down. I wouldn't doubt if cap pressured him.
 
Yea, he was doing a great service shining lights on cockroaches. Glad he isn't stuck in an Ecuadorian embassy and is enjoying life now.