articles publishing.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veteriarian

i need:a US+ACVS wife!;-)
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i read that many undergraduate students, or recent graduates publish articles.
i am intresteed in publishing so i ahve a better CV. but i dont know anything about publishing.
what do u know about it? what tips ur teachers gave u?

plz help me.
for example.:

1. which magazines are publishing "light" scientific articles (i dont think Journal of dermatology -ecvs-would ever publish an article from undergraduates)...
  2. good magazines wants the articles to describe something NEW. undergradiuates can't write such difficult articles.
I might have some more questions. if someone aswer these i ;ll ask more.
PLZ help me. cxause where i come from ,students dont publish anything and noone advise us to do so.

PS. i ll work all winter in a private clinic. so ill have patients for a good article. i dont want to lose a good case/article cause of my ignorance about publishing article..

have a nice day.
waiting your respod:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I got published twice in undergrad and all it took was working in labs as an intern. If you work in a molecular biology lab for at least a year and get results that the PhDs can use in their articles, they will usually give you credit for your findings.

good magazines wants the articles to describe something NEW. undergradiuates can't write such difficult articles.

Undergraduates are typically published by working with the PI who then include their names. To become published you'd need to play a role in the research being done.

PS. i ll work all winter in a private clinic. so ill have patients for a good article. i dont want to lose a good case/article cause of my ignorance about publishing article..

The articles being published are based on research being done primarily in controlled laboratory settings. People do not usualy write an article based off of something they encounter in a clinical setting, although perhaps an issue that you encounter in the clinic can become your research topic. There is a difference between a magazine article and a journal article.

Members don't see this ad :)
People do not usualy write an article based off of something they encounter in a clinical setting, although perhaps an issue that you encounter in the clinic can become your research topic.

Actually, many journals accept case reports and short retrospective studies. JAVMA (What's Your Diagnosis, Pathology in Practice), JDVI, Vet Derm, etc.

Undergraduates are typically published by working with the PI who then include their names. To become published you'd need to play a role in the research being done.

The articles being published are based on research being done primarily in controlled laboratory settings. People do not usualy write an article based off of something they encounter in a clinical setting, although perhaps an issue that you encounter in the clinic can become your research topic. There is a difference between a magazine article and a journal article.

so you say i should find a laboratory to do a small research or contribute to a research.
as long as for the case report you are right, but i could do a Review at something.

Well I didn't know that :) Do they accept them as actual journal articles or are they more snippets on the side?
i dont know if i understand what u ask correctly, but retrospactive studies are very difficult to be done and must be done by a good clinitian, as far as i know.

i dont know if i understand what u ask correctly, but retrospactive studies are very difficult to be done and must be done by a good clinitian, as far as i know.

Retrospective studies are easier to do at academic institutions/referral hospitals due to the caseload.

redhead - well, not really snippets, but not really full articles either. Usually 2 or 3 pages with pictures. They are commonly about new presentations of disease, diseases in novel species, a more complex analysis of the disease, etc.

Example

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20854228

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1939-165X.1999.tb01062.x/abstract

so you say i should find a laboratory to do a small research or contribute to a research.
as long as for the case report you are right, but i could do a Review at something.

Nobody is going to care about a review article you write unless you have already been published and are a known authority on the topic you are reviewing.

edit: and most undergrads are not the first author of the article they are listed on, and often did little to no actual writing of it themselves. About 75% of it at the very least is luck if you are an undergrad - be in the right lab on the right project under the right postdoc/grad student at the right time and you'll get in on an article.

i have posted this in an other questiom too.. but noone answer it. so i post it here too. its relevant with the subject we discuss.
is there webpages with infos about research programms? somethinig like this (scrool down til reaserch title).
or pages with funds for research.or competitions.
I am looking for pages that collect all research programms+ infos so to be easier to someone whoo want to do a reaserch to be informed.

if you want to do research, you need to identify a field you might be interested in doing research in and then talk to a PI that does research in that area.

In other words, the process of finding a lab and starting up is the beginning of you having to actually try to think for yourself and be worth anything in a research lab. So do that.

I am looking for pages that collect all research programms+ infos so to be easier to someone whoo want to do a reaserch to be informed.

If you're incapable of researching how to get into research... perhaps research might not be your thing. Just saying...

(sorry, that was kind of mean but I couldn't help myself)

If you're incapable of researching how to get into research... perhaps research might not be your thing. Just saying...

(sorry, that was kind of mean but I couldn't help myself)

epic Fail.
if u ever want an internship u want search virmp? virmp put all intern infos togeather.
does it mean that u arent capable to find a good intenhip? thats what i am asking. if there is any webpage that coollects all the has all the reasearch programms or AT LEAST all the infos for FUNDED research...
anyway thanks for reading and repling my post.:cool:

epic Fail.
if u ever want an internship u want search virmp? virmp put all intern infos togeather.
does it mean that u arent capable to find a good intenhip? thats what i am asking. if there is any webpage that coollects all the has all the reasearch programms or AT LEAST all the infos for FUNDED research...

You can go to the NIH website and search through grants.

Or go to an individual institution's websites and go through all the departments for all their research projects.

There is simply no way to have a single list of every research program out there. There are thousands and thousands of projects spread all over the country. You can't compare it to VIRMP, which is very specific.

Last edited:
epic Fail.

First of all, and this is a big one. Work on your English. I don't care if you are not a native speaker, you are just being lazy in your responses. While SDN is not really a professional forum, you will receive better responses if you run your post through a basic spell checker. You laziness is apparent by virtue of the fact that you spell a work correctly 3 times, then spell it incorrectly 2 more times. No one here is a grammar nazi (just look at my signature), but just try.

Second, no one in their right mind goes into research to improve their CV, unless they want a career in research or industry, at which point you need additional education in the sciences (MD/PhD), yes, you can do research with just a DVM; but only if you have a strong background in it already. I don't know of any DVM with NO research experience that wakes up one morning and says "you know what, I am going to go into research", without taking any classes or receiving an additional degree.

Third, and finally, published manuscripts are not going to help your CV as a DVM in the private practice field. Perhaps a minuscule amount, but it is far more work then its worth. Most students try to get a manuscript in an effort to bolster their vet school application, but as a vet, I cannot imagine how a manuscript would help you. Instead, become a self trained guru with ultrasound, or dentistry, or orthopedics. Put down a few techniques that you have mastered (you don't need to be boarded) and that will help you CV with respect to getting a job 10x more then a few publications.

EDIT: I see you are a veterinary student. Ignore the parts that refer to you as a veterinarian, I just assumed you were by your 'handle'.

First of all, and this is a big one. Work on your English. I don't care if you are not a native speaker, you are just being lazy in your responses. While SDN is not really a professional forum, you will receive better responses if you run your post through a basic spell checker.

DITTO!! Drives me nuts! I apologize, but I would try to work on your English much more before coming here.

Referring to your question, I would hate to see you forgo clinical experience in order to work in a lab with the HOPE that you MIGHT get your name on a published article. Unless, of course, your career plan is to be in research. If you see a very interesting case in the practice where you work and write it up REALLY well, there is a chance you may get published in the way that WTF describes, but I must say I think your chances are slim. I believe those articles are almost always from veterinarians. At the very least, you would need guidance from a vet in order to come up with an article of the caliber of those that are printed in such journals.

Last edited: