Artistic Endeavor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetRain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do we prove our artistic endeavor if we didn't join a club related to it? I enjoy doing book binding and mosaic art from time to time but it's just a hobby. Is is worth mentioning in my application?

Members don't see this ad.

OMGGG i'm the only person i ever met that does bookmaking as a hobby!!!!

i did not list it in my application activities. instead, i mentioned in my personal statement that i started out with an extensive artistic background and how my perspective is a strength in the medical field (creativity, attention to detail, combined with passion for humanitarianism and scientific methodology and technique...)

and beyond that, you have an opportunity during interview because they usually ask about what your hobbies are.. and that's when i mentioned bookbindery.
it's not worth mentioning otherwise if its only a hobby... unless you did some kind of community artistic endeavor in volunteering. i wouldn't fill up that space unless you really can't think of 15 extracurriculars/work experiences. i use my art skills in volunteering for gardening projects in the city, and helped design a water pump.. so i mentioned these things in my non-medical volunteering activities section. i also mentioned teaching arts & crafts at a kids camp. otherwise i didn't list that my hobby is bookmaking. i just talked about it in the interview.

i hope that helps!!

OMGGG i'm the only person i ever met that does bookmaking as a hobby!!!!

i did not list it in my application activities. instead, i mentioned in my personal statement that i started out with an extensive artistic background and how my perspective is a strength in the medical field (creativity, attention to detail, combined with passion for humanitarianism and scientific methodology and technique...)

and beyond that, you have an opportunity during interview because they usually ask about what your hobbies are.. and that's when i mentioned bookbindery.
it's not worth mentioning otherwise if its only a hobby... unless you did some kind of community artistic endeavor in volunteering. i wouldn't fill up that space unless you really can't think of 15 extracurriculars/work experiences. i use my art skills in volunteering for gardening projects in the city, and helped design a water pump.. so i mentioned these things in my non-medical volunteering activities section. i also mentioned teaching arts & crafts at a kids camp. otherwise i didn't list that my hobby is bookmaking. i just talked about it in the interview.

i hope that helps!!

Thanks a lot! I'm very glad to meet someone else who enjoys book binding :) It's a wonderful hobby that you can enjoy for a lifetime!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do a significant amount of it, you can list it as a hobby/artistic endeavor on AMCAS. I was (and still am) in the process of writing a comic book, so I went ahead and put that down. Lots of schools asked about it, too, so it was a good chance to demonstrate that when I go home from school, my textbooks aren't my whole world.:thumbup:

I discussed mine in my PS, because I have been an artist in my career, but a very good suggestion I got was to use one of the EC spaces and call it simply "Artistic Endeavors" and then, in bullet format, list it as one of your endeavors along with any other interests that have been a significant part of forming you as a person. Bookbinding is also really interesting and makes you unique and gives them something to talk to you about.

I also had another one for athletics, but also did not double up any listings if something is listed in leadership (ie varsity captain) I did not repeat it in the list for athletics

I discussed mine in my PS, because I have been an artist in my career, but a very good suggestion I got was to use one of the EC spaces and call it simply "Artistic Endeavors" and then, in bullet format, list it as one of your endeavors along with any other interests that have been a significant part of forming you as a person. Bookbinding is also really interesting and makes you unique and gives them something to talk to you about.

I also had another one for athletics, but also did not double up any listings if something is listed in leadership (ie varsity captain) I did not repeat it in the list for athletics

This works really well.:thumbup:

If you do a significant amount of it, you can list it as a hobby/artistic endeavor on AMCAS. I was (and still am) in the process of writing a comic book, so I went ahead and put that down. Lots of schools asked about it, too, so it was a good chance to demonstrate that when I go home from school, my textbooks aren't my whole world.:thumbup:

For the love of God, my fellow Hokie, PLEASE post your comics.