Serious about Music: Hobby or "artistic endeavor" on app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seldon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I spent most of my first two years in the lab. When I wasn't there, I was pretty seriously studying classical guitar. I've been doing it since I was 7 and I was taught at a pretty famous summer school during high school (think hyperband camp). It's more than a hobby and I want to get the most out of the EC listing (seriously spent a lot of time working on it), but I feel like a douche for listing as an artistic endeavor. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So, I spent most of my first two years in the lab. When I wasn't there, I was pretty seriously studying classical guitar. I've been doing it since I was 7 and I was taught at a pretty famous summer school during high school (think hyperband camp). It's more than a hobby and I want to get the most out of the EC listing (seriously spent a lot of time working on it), but I feel like a douche for listing as an artistic endeavor. Thanks!

I was in a touring rock band for 2 years, and went on to be a session vocalist for a recording studio during undergrad. Havn't really done anything serious w/ music in years, but I ended up listing it as an artistic endeavor because the experiences meant too much for me to minimize them to a hobby.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you've performed publicly or otherwise shared your musical talent with the world (CD, You Tube video), Artistic Endeavor is appropriate. If you have kept it to yourself (or the garage, with a band), Hobby is better. JMO. If you need more space to discuss it, then make it a Most Meaningful activity on AMCAS and get another 1325 characters for description.

For a Hobby, you don't need a Contact. For an Artistic Endeavor, you might use an old teacher.

Reactions: 1 users
Probably won't matter at all whichever you end up choosing. Will be a nice talking point in some interviews either way

I am a cover singer/guitarist. Gigging around my area has been my primary source of income since I was a freshman in college(now in grad school). I actually quit two jobs in the service industry at the time to put my full effort into music and create adeqaute study time while being financially independent as a young college student. That accomplishment and work history was a huge part of my life/my personal formation and I was quite vocal about it in my app. I applied to two different schools and had two very different responses. One told me that I was a High risk applicant under the assumption that working in bars equated with alcohol abuse. Not kidding. The other thought it was great and told me their school had groups for student musicians to continue playing.

I applied to DO schools, and I know they apps are different, but I was in a small touring band in my first three years of undergrad and I actually listed it as a paid work experience.

Nobody questioned it, and almost every school I interviewed at asked about it. I was barely ever actually paid because we essentially got money enough to pay for gas traveling to shows, but still.

Last edited:
I say if you performed in public call it an artistic endeavour

if you just played at home for teh luls and sanity and what have you, hobby

I don't know how you sleep at night with such a quandary.

Choose wisely. This could very well be a decision that lands you at Harvard or Ross.

I don't know how you sleep at night with such a quandary.

Choose wisely. This could very well be a decision that lands you at Harvard or Ross.
The stress is literally tearing me apart. I think I can see my mesentery.

Reactions: 1 users