BOTH As a DO Should I take USMLE Step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KVBane

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is another one of those threads that gets asked alot, but with the recent changes to accredidtation and the merger coming and no consistent answers in the past about Step 2 I figured I would ask again.

I took COMLEX Level 1 and did above a 660, and took USMLE Step 1 and did above 230. I am interested in applying ACGME emergency medicine. However, I will have only 2 weeks off between my last 3rd year rotation which is IM, and my 1st 4th year rotation which is EM, which means I wont have alot of time to study, and would like to save some money.

I would like to take Level 2 at the end of that 2 week gap. So should I take Step 2 before I take Level 2, or should I not take it at all.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is another one of those threads that gets asked alot, but with the recent changes to accredidtation and the merger coming and no consistent answers in the past about Step 2 I figured I would ask again.

I took COMLEX Level 1 and did above a 660, and took USMLE Step 1 and did above 230. I am interested in applying ACGME emergency medicine. However, I will have only 2 weeks off between my last 3rd year rotation which is IM, and my 1st 4th year rotation which is EM, which means I wont have alot of time to study, and would like to save some money.

I would like to take Level 2 at the end of that 2 week gap. So should I take Step 2 before I take Level 2, or should I not take it at all.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you

Take Step 2. This is not the time to save money. This is your future and you need every advantage you can get. You’re coming off IM which is fully 50-70% of the test. The rest of this is to encourage you to work hard, not demoralize, but you need to know where you stand. You want to do ACGME EM with a currently average Step 1 score. You’re a DO. Not as big of a disadvantage as being an IMG, but it isn’t like being a US MD. EM is getting more competitive every year. I think you might end up being below average on Step 1 if the trend continues towards ever increasing step 1 scores. One of the PDs told me that the average Step 1 last year was actually around a 234-235 for EM. So this year could be even higher. You need to buckle down last half of third year and crank out UW like nothing else if you want EM. If you don’t think you will score highly at that point on Step 2, based on the UWSAs, don’t take it. But I would gear up like you’re going to take it. You’re a bit behind the eight ball as a DO anyway, but you also have a lower Step 1. I have friends with 240s Step 1 who are hurting for interviews right now.

I say this as someone who is a DO, going through the process now, and didn’t get interviews at some competitive places. And I took both steps and both comlex levels and was near or over 90th percentile on all of them. Three acgme sloes, all honors. Didn’t apply to Denver or cinci, but did to other competitive places. Just got waitlisted at one. Still nothing from the other very competitive place.

My step 2 score and sloes got me my interviews. My sloes probably did more, but you have no guarantee that you will honor your rotations. The step 2 can slightly compensate for marginal or lackluster sloes. Not fully, as sloes trump all in EM. If you will bomb Step 2, obviously don’t take it. Otherwise, you’re hurting yourself and need to make up for a possibly below average Step 1 score. PM me if you would like more info or have other questions.

Take Step 2. This is not the time to save money. This is your future and you need every advantage you can get. You’re coming off IM which is fully 50-70% of the test. The rest of this is to encourage you to work hard, not demoralize, but you need to know where you stand. You want to do ACGME EM with a currently average Step 1 score. You’re a DO. Not as big of a disadvantage as being an IMG, but it isn’t like being a US MD. EM is getting more competitive every year. I think you might end up being below average on Step 1 if the trend continues towards ever increasing step 1 scores. One of the PDs told me that the average Step 1 last year was actually around a 234-235 for EM. So this year could be even higher. You need to buckle down last half of third year and crank out UW like nothing else if you want EM. If you don’t think you will score highly at that point on Step 2, based on the UWSAs, don’t take it. But I would gear up like you’re going to take it. You’re a bit behind the eight ball as a DO anyway, but you also have a lower Step 1. I have friends with 240s Step 1 who are hurting for interviews right now.

I say this as someone who is a DO, going through the process now, and didn’t get interviews at some competitive places. And I took both steps and both comlex levels and was near or over 90th percentile on all of them. Three acgme sloes, all honors. Didn’t apply to Denver or cinci, but did to other competitive places. Just got waitlisted at one. Still nothing from the other very competitive place.

My step 2 score and sloes got me my interviews. My sloes probably did more, but you have no guarantee that you will honor your rotations. The step 2 can slightly compensate for marginal or lackluster sloes. Not fully, as sloes trump all in EM. If you will bomb Step 2, obviously don’t take it. Otherwise, you’re hurting yourself and need to make up for a possibly below average Step 1 score. PM me if you would like more info or have other questions.

Thank you for your advice - and I think I can manage to do about as well as I did on Step 1 - so I'll start studying hard, and hopefully it pays off with my score. I'll PM you if I have any more questions - thank you so much and I hope everything goes well for you this round.

I would definitely take step 2. I’ve had multiple EM PD’s explicitly tell me that they value step 2 over step 1.

I’m a DO, with a Step 1 < 220 and a Step 2 > 240, with >10 ACGME interviews. Now... these places mostly aren’t super competitive programs, but I’m pretty damn pleased.

I would highly recommend taking Step 2, and even more so if you’re a DO applicant.

** edit ** I just realized that my post was really only relevant to EM applicants. For most specialties, Step 1 trumps Step 2, though my advice still stands.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above. As someone who works closely with both students and residents, Step 2 can be the difference in adding strength to an application for a student esp if you feel that your application may be less competitive for the area you are applying to. The key is to really nail the exam and show a score that is the same or better than Step 1. Good luck with your studies and your application process!

Background: COMLEX 524/545/PE-Pass all on 1st attempt. SLOE's: Top 10% and middle 1/3 with a strong traditional LOR. Total of 5 EM rotations: H/H/H/HP/H

Here's my question. I'm a DO, didn't match AOA this year, and pulled out of ACGME (only had 2 ranked). I took a TRI connected to an EM program with a PD who will do everything in their power to get someone matched. I'm taking Step 1 the week before my TRI starts, I'll get to take the EM inservice and COMLEX level 3 sometime in the fall. Should I try to squeeze step 2 in? or would focusing on the inservice/Level 3 be better?