As a physician what topics would you like to hear the student present during clerkship ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1119158

I bet you have heard the same topic presented a million times. I presented a topic this month and a physical said they never hear a student talk about it. They seemed happy.

So what topics genuinely interest you and you want us to research about?

Members don't see this ad.

How to get rid of old TFPs (and make sure you double glare at the old timers if they are in the room listening)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you present it on 4/1 - April fool's jokes that result in foot injury
4/20 - Can you fracture your calc from a fall while high?
5/5 - Most common foot bone injury involving tequila
7/4 - Encephalopathy from gunpowder induced metallosis

Reactions: 1 user
“How to bill 40+ RVUs for a bunionectomy”

Reactions: 1 users
Dennis Shavelson - The misunderstood SubTalar Joint

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Hi I'm Troy McClure.. You may remember me from such podiatry lectures such as "Dial M for Money:easy ways to exploit your associate" and "Shawshank Fraudemption: Escaping Nail Jail"

Reactions: 1 users
Why does podiatry have two board exams?

The morbidity and mortality rate of the private practice podiatry associate contract

Why does podiatry have so many different state scopes?

Why does the APMA not do anything?

Why do we have podiatry supergroups?

Why do podiatry schools accept too many students when they know they are accepting students who have no business being doctors?

Why do podiatrists work as secretaries at podiatry schools?

Why does Scholl biomechanics professor teach the same biomechanics that nobody ever uses in their careers....every year?

Why does the Scholl surgery department have professors in it that don't do surgery?

Why the AOFAS will ultimately win and make podiatry back into chiropody

Why do podiatrists love classification systems that nobody cares about or uses?

Why does podiatry need another podiatry school?

Why do the same 10-15 podiatrists lecture at ACFAS every year?

Why are podiatrists addicted to PM news?

Reactions: 11 users
#1 Pick a topic that you can handle. No one needs to hear about complex deformity correction from a student. A student is to early in their training to truly understand and teach complex topics.

#2 Know your audience. I personally did the equivalent of systematic reviews as a student and it was overkill for some of the community programs I rotated at. As a resident I heard DMU students present the holiness of the lapidus to a room of doctors that do not hold that view. Also I have seen students present on head osteotomies to a group of doctors that only do lapidus. I have witnessed presentations on proprietary products (presented at a hospital that has limits on what can be used).

#3 Careful about recycling. It is a small world and people talk.

Read the room. Look at the surgery schedule for the month. Talk to the residents. Ask what they like / expect. Look at how people are responding to your presentation.

Do not read the slides. Do not fill the slides with tiny numbers and minutiae. Everyone has their own very specific expectations concerning this. I'm personally of the opinion that the slides should either be pictures or a relevant easily read backbone while your presentation tells a story drawn only from your memory with the slides as cues.

Respect the time limit. Your presentation will likely be bad, but it should at least be short. You absolutely must practice giving the presentation and you must time yourself. Consider recording yourself.

Everyone in the room is more experienced than you. Try to avoid teaching something everyone already knows ie. the common knowledge portion of whatever you are talking about can probably be covered very quickly. Most people also care very little about the epidemiology slide.

You don't need to have a strongly held opinion. You are a student. You don't actually know anything. The attending who disagrees with you is likely to have an even more strongly held opinion.

Sometimes the selection process for a presentation is really stupid. Like someone will have an absolutely idiotic idea for a surgery or something and then a student will be told to look into it. I've a plural number of times heard an idea offered to a student where I think "there are zero articles on that subject because it is stupid". Start working on this early so that you can change topics or transition it or something.

I personally hate long presentations on ultra-rare conditions that will only happen once in a career. That said, if you are at one of those programs where people publish case studies on a single occurrence of a rare tumor in the foot - go crazy I guess.

I would love it if you showed some insight. Some awareness of the interconnected pieces and how they agree and disagree. Can the conclusions of the articles be supported by their methods.

In general, this is a stupid process. If you learn something while preparing your presentation - that's probably the biggest win that is going to occur. That also means that you will be rewarded for focusing the presentation something clinically relevant that falls in the main stream of podiatric practice.

If an attending repeatedly interrupts you - for whateverr the reason - to disagree. To ask for more information. To add their own point or a contrast. Whatever. Be gracious. Be humble. Do not get flustered. Continue confidently. And for the love of god, do not ask them to stop interrupting you.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
The more important thing than what you present is how you do it. Some people could have a professionally prepared PPT on TAR vs fusions and still make it a snooze fest, and others can do a good job even on a PPT on onycho or fasciitis. You know this when you think of your professors; some make the topic come to life and some always have a half full lecture hall since they suck at presenting the materials.

Be charismatic. Be conversational. Interact with the audience regularly with fairly easy slow pitches to build rapport ("am I the only one who needs a stronger cup of coffee on Mondays," "unless I hit the MegaMillions, I figure we all need to know how to do Weil osteotomies, so I'm summarizing the best studies on that procedure for us to discuss today," "do we think this fracture needs surgery," "how long would we wait before starting weightbearing," "what antibiotic does everyone prefer for punctures like this," "would we revise this fusion now at 6mo based on this XR... or give it more time to heal"). The "we" or "our" approach naturally builds commonality. It is best to call on actual people by name (with easy questions to make them look good), but that is better kept until you're a resident with more rapport with the other residents and slightly higher totem pole status. Just speak casually to the group when you're a student.

For the PPT file itself, use only high or very high contrast (yellow on dark blue, black on white, white on black, white on crimson, navy on pastel pink, etc). Those PPTs that think peach on green or some dumb combo will work are dead before they started since people just quit paying attention if they have to squint or struggle due to color scheme or sizing. All type should be bold font and large or very large and readable. Few words on the slides, basically just key words and phrases (do NOT just read slides). The slides with a paragraph nobody can read are also garbage. Roughly 1-2 slides per minute. Have at least one picture on every slide (clinical, XR, cartoon, snippet from a journal, whatever... makes it fun and visual, since this is a PPT and not a speech). Animation or effects in PPT for the pics or the words (Q/A or audience interact parts) are quite good for get/keep attention if used in moderation, assuming you know how to use them. Jokes - verbal or with pics in the PPT - are fine if that's your style.

I think you can select whatever topic you like. It is much more the presenter than the topic. "People will forget what you say, people will forget what you do, people will always remember how you made them feel." As was said, you are NOT doing a technique guide or presenting your results, you are just doing a boards review or a current lit summary for the topic. Simply present the text or journal article results/recs and stick to it ("Myerson's study resulted in X", "according to Y, the procedure was able allow Z"). It is smart to look for a topic that's fairly up-and-coming or at least one that's common for boards (and give a good, quick summary), and if you pick one you like, it's easier to do well and sound enthusiastic.

Stay under the time limit; leave them wanting more. You should get at least a couple of "good job" or questions afterwards if you delivered it well. I think quick case presentations are always good. I tried to do that on almost all of mine. I'd usually take a 2min case then 10min lit review or the lit review then a 2min case (usually from another non-local clerkship or from the journals with credit given to the program/authors). That shows them you can apply the knowledge, and it also accomplishes a humble brag that you are visiting other good programs and know what to read. That will appeal to any program's curiosity of what other top programs are doing, and it shows you are a student of value.

Again, nobody really cares if you present on calc fx vs osteomyelitis or hammertoe fixation vs triple arthrodesis. They will remember whose PPT generated good discussion, a laugh, showed confidence, or helped them out with a few pearls on a good new journal article or classic info for boards.

...i literally typed this and heybrother posted same stuff (topic matters less than delivery) concurrently, haha. It's the way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I am glad I am past this part of my life. This stuff is not important.
Lol I remember doing one on arthrodiastasis. No idea what the F I was talking about. Do residencies really make students do this stuff routinely? I think I did this one at grant don't remember doing other ones.

I recycled the same 2 presentations. They were solid. I put a lot of work into them so I wouldnt have to do another one.
I thought that it was the dumbest thing about rotations.
People in the audience also thought the same thing based on their facial expressions.

Reactions: 4 users