As a PT, how would you run your business?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BASuperman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are a few physical therapy practices in the area around me, and they all have a different scheme and hire a different variety of clinical staff.

All seem to employ at least a staff physical therapist, a PTA, and a medical office manager.

But the rest is when it starts to diverge. Some offices run as joint fitness/rehab centers and also employ a variety of aquatic therapists, massage therapists, personal trainers, or exercise physiologists.

I have seen others run as more of a "medical office" and hire rather physiatrists, nurses, occupational therapists, PT aides, medical assistants, chiropractors, athletic trainers, or nutritionists.

My question is, how would you run your practice if you were to start one? I know if money grew on trees and we were all wealthy we'd probably employ all of them, but I'm asking for a more realistic scenario.

What type of practice would you run, and who would you hire?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends a good bit on the environment you'll be in, and the kind of clientele you're targeting.

If I were to open my practice in an area where there are a lot of older people, I would try to get a massage therapist on my staff. Older people often have aches and pains which could be relieved by therapeutic massages. An occupational therapist would also be useful.

If I were in a college town with a lot of younger folks, I would consider adding an exercise physiologist or an athletic trainer to my staff.

I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all solution, although at an absolute minimum, as you said, there should be an office manager and a PTA.

You might have to do this for a class someday. I did (it wasn't fun--too much work figuring out the budget and all the logistics). It all depends on your target group, how much money you have, your goals, etc. If you're outpatient, you might want to be a 'one stop shop' and have a massage therapist, nutritionist, athletic trainer, etc. With private clinics most start off small and with the basics and expand from there once they're in the green.