ASA Disclaimer Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hypnos Doc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ASA Disclaimer Statement

Note to Gas Forum members from the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA):

Please note that a “private forum” to discuss anesthesiology issues is referenced throughout this site, and admittance to this forum requires membership in ASA. Please be aware that this private forum has no relationship to ASA, nor is the forum, or its contents, sanctioned by ASA. Participants on this Web site only speak as individuals and not on behalf of the ASA. The official spokesperson for ASA statements is the current President. I encourage you to logon to www.asahq.org to place any inquiries, offer any concerns, or to access official ASA positions.

To verify that I was the author of yesterday's message, logon to the ASA Web site tomorrow and look under 'What's New' section.

Sincerely,
Dr. Mark J. Lema
2007 ASA President
(Hypnos.Doc)

Members don't see this ad.

ASA Disclaimer Statement

Please note that a “private forum” to discuss anesthesiology issues is referenced throughout this site, and admittance to this forum requires membership in ASA. Please be aware that this private forum has no relationship to ASA, nor is the forum, or its contents, sanctioned by ASA. Participants on this Web site only speak as individuals and not on behalf of the ASA. The official spokesperson for ASA statements is the current President. I encourage you to logon to www.asahq.org to place any inquiries, offer any concerns, or to access official ASA positions.

To verify that I was the author of yesterday's message, logon to the ASA Web site tomorrow and look under 'What's New' section.

Sincerely,
Dr. Mark J. Lema
2007 ASA President
(Hypnos.Doc)

Well,

Dr. Lema this is really you. I applaud your interest in this site and issues that affect the next generation. I concur that the private forum in no way reflects the ASA or your views; in addition, this public site does not reflect your views or the ASA's. We are posting our opinions and are looking for a response to the continued AANA threat to our field.

I urge you to join the private forum simply to read our opinions. Perhaps, you could provide "balanced, conservative" input.

Thank You,
Blade
ASA Member
PAC Contributor (Federal and State)
Fighting Against the AANA

hey doc, why not bestow these troubled souls with your vast wisdom instead of quality controlling

Members don't see this ad :)
ASA Disclaimer Statement

Please note that a "private forum" to discuss anesthesiology issues is referenced throughout this site, and admittance to this forum requires membership in ASA. Please be aware that this private forum has no relationship to ASA, nor is the forum, or its contents, sanctioned by ASA. Participants on this Web site only speak as individuals and not on behalf of the ASA. The official spokesperson for ASA statements is the current President. I encourage you to logon to www.asahq.org to place any inquiries, offer any concerns, or to access official ASA positions.

Sincerely,
Dr. Mark J. Lema
2007 ASA President
(Hypnos.Doc)

Yes, and would these not, then, be considered part of your constituency? I would hope that you'd be interested in hearing about issues that are becoming very important to an increasing number of ASA members.

Yes, and would these not, then, be considered part of your constituency? I would hope that you'd be interested in hearing about issues that are becoming very important to an increasing number of ASA members.

The fact is he on this site at all proves he is interested and cares about the specialty. Please don't be too hard on him as that is my job.

Blade

The fact is he on this site at all proves he is interested and cares about the specialty. Please don't be too hard on him as that is my job.

Blade

I realize that we need to be cautious of disseminating information to the group that will become a target of our campaign. And that we must always mind the political ramifications of our actions/speech. But, does the ASA TRULY realize that we need to organize a targeted campaign against the militant AANA?? It doesn't really sound like it.

I understand that many veterans of the field have worked for years with CRNAs and I'm sure they call many of them friends. However, it's a fact that their "group" is a big problem to the future of anesthesiology. And, it's totally reasonable for the younger generation (and even med students like myself) of anesthesiologists to become more active in targeting, more specifically and aggressively, the AANA.

I know the dudes in my class alone that have displayed an interest in anesthesiology feel the same way.

I hope that Dr. Lema isn't suggesting that we fall in line while the CRNA's are doing everything they can to ruin the profession and our future job securities. It's no secret what the AANA is doing. If Dr. Lema doesn't see the importance that the future anesthesiologists are placing on this issue, then he's not listening to a large group of his constituents. If he's unwilling or unable to get the ASA to mount an effective counter-movement against the AANA, then I advocate that we support someone who does. This is about the future of the profession and our jobs.

I hope that Dr. Lema isn't suggesting that we fall in line while the CRNA's are doing everything they can to ruin the profession and our future job securities. It's no secret what the AANA is doing. If Dr. Lema doesn't see the importance that the future anesthesiologists are placing on this issue, then he's not listening to a large group of his constituents. If he's unwilling or unable to get the ASA to mount an effective counter-movement against the AANA, then I advocate that we support someone who does. This is about the future of the profession and our jobs.

It really does sound like it. I read into it less as a "hey guys, let's be careful with this kind of talk on public forums", and more of "wait a minute, this is NOT the policy of the ASA". I don't know the guy, and I'm not yet even an ASA member. But, if I decide to make anesthesiology my future, I'll sure as hell be even more interested in this topic.

These are exactly the issues being discussed in depth in the private forum. We need as many people to join the forum as we can so that all ideas and avenues can be discussed and explored. These ideas of course are those of the people suggesting them, and do not in any way reflect the official positions of the ASA itself. Which, to me, is part of the problem.

What IS going on in the private forum right now- civil, cordial, professional discussion of what we think the issues are, and how we can make our leadership aware of our level of concern regarding those issues so that they can ACT.

What IS NOT going on in the private forum right now- name-calling, flaming, trolling, etc. There is no guerilla war being waged. The ideas being advanced do not represent the thoughts of a radical sect of residents, rather, they are the voice of a growing number of us who recognize the AANA's intentions and do not intend to stand idly by while we are phased out of the profession we struggled so hard for so many years to enter.

These are exactly the issues being discussed in depth in the private forum. We need as many people to join the forum as we can so that all ideas and avenues can be discussed and explored. These ideas of course are those of the people suggesting them, and do not in any way reflect the official positions of the ASA itself. Which, to me, is part of the problem.

What IS going on in the private forum right now- civil, cordial, professional discussion of what we think the issues are, and how we can make our leadership aware of our level of concern regarding those issues so that they can ACT.

What IS NOT going on in the private forum right now- name-calling, flaming, trolling, etc. There is no guerilla war being waged. The ideas being advanced do not represent the thoughts of a radical sect of residents, rather, they are the voice of a growing number of us who recognize the AANA's intentions and do not intend to stand idly by while we are phased out of the profession we struggled so hard for so many years to enter.

Yes. You have it correct. But, can't we have a little fun on the site?

Blade

Well stated.:thumbup: I won't have an ASA # for probably a month or so. But as soon as I do, I'll be over there.

ASA Disclaimer Statement

Sincerely,
Dr. Mark J. Lema
2007 ASA President
(Hypnos.Doc)

There is nothing on the ASA website.
Is someone playing a childish game?

Members don't see this ad :)
i looked at well and there is nothing............

Then why tell us to look if he was indeed the author. I mean I would have made sure it was there before making that statement.

perhaps he has chosen not to draw more attention to this forum.

"The author and supporters of H.R. 1932 claim it helps both anesthesiology residency programs and nurse education programs. However, the bill was secretly conceptualized and crafted without any involvement or consultation with ASA or any other individual or group associated with anesthesiology. And while the bill does indeed include provisions addressing payments to teaching anesthesiologists, it also includes costly extraneous provisions creating new, untested payment policies for nurse anesthesia programs – the cost of which could halt ASA progress to fix the teaching anesthesiologist 50% payment penalty. ASA believes the inclusion of these extraneous provisions is inappropriate and not consistent with longstanding Medicare regulatory structures supporting separate and distinct physician and nursing education programs.

On multiple occasions, representatives of ASA offered to work constructively with Rep. Stupak and representatives of the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists to address recently identified issues with nursing education-related payments so long as those issues were addressed independent of ASA's longstanding efforts to fix payment problems facing teaching anesthesiologists. Those offers were declined.'

Goes to show the AANA as bladeMD states, is out to destroy anesthesiology. We need to fight back now! if this bill passes, it will be time to just stop training CRNAs even if all hell breaks loose. What more evidence will academic chairmen need to show the AANA is not willing to play fair.

ASA Disclaimer Statement

Sincerely,
Dr. Mark J. Lema
2007 ASA President
(Hypnos.Doc)

Did that....no indication you were here, thus I can only assume that you are not who you purport to be.

I don't think that was him.

Maybe youre right.

Actually youre probably right.

Regardless, a message to the ASA to be more responsive to every day anesthesiologist concerns was sent, albeit maybe to internet pergatory.

But the message was sent nonetheless.

Is this what Dr. Lema was referring to? Regardless, send out those e-mails folks...

I agree, send the emails. After the email is sent it will allow you to send the link to 6 more people. Send it to the residents that you work with and let them know about what it is and what it will mean to the programs. Here is a chance to make a big difference in our specialty and to reverse legislation that was pushed by the AANA.

Burntcrispy, MD

Dr Lema's response is now posted on the members only section of what's new on the ASA site. Appears that it was really him.

How come he didn't tell people where he posted that reply? He needs to tell the anesthesia community that there's a forum where people are talking about the issues affecting anesthesiology and a private forum where those interested can express their views and come up with a comprehensive solution to the problems affecting our specialty, namely the selling out and handing over of anesthesiology to midlevel providers.

Since I am on this rant, I want to say that the ASA, in combination with the ABA and other anesthesiology licensing and accreditation boards, needs to have the power to reign in those members whether academic or private practice that are engaged in the deliberate selling out of the specialty. Let us be realistic and admit that while academic chairmen put out the CRNAs, the private practice attendings are also guilty of their proliferation by hiring them and profiting off their labor.

How come he didn't tell people where he posted that reply? He needs to tell the anesthesia community that there's a forum where people are talking about the issues affecting anesthesiology and a private forum where those interested can express their views and come up with a comprehensive solution to the problems affecting our specialty, namely the selling out and handing over of anesthesiology to midlevel providers.

Since I am on this rant, I want to say that the ASA, in combination with the ABA and other anesthesiology licensing and accreditation boards, needs to have the power to reign in those members whether academic or private practice that are engaged in the deliberate selling out of the specialty. Let us be realistic and admit that while academic chairmen put out the CRNAs, the private practice attendings are also guilty of their proliferation by hiring them and profiting off their labor.

Lema wants us to quiety go away. He wants us to be quiet about the AANA problem and let the ASA handle the matter. In other words, "business as usual" and those of us who disagree with our leadership are "officially" disavowed.

You can read a lot into Lema's FAILED Response to our legitimate complaints.
The most important thing is the ASA is not ready to truly battle the AANA.
All you prospective and current Residents need to realize the future does not look bright (unless you are a CRNA of course).

Blade

His response is listed under a link called "Dr. Lema responds to recent blogs" and it refers to this as a "popular Anesthesiology Web forum".

On the site he doesn't give any explanation of his post or any indication why he responded, he just cut and pasted his passage from here.

What's he trying to portray to ASA members, that he is some tough guy who doesn't take any crap? Nothing constructive is in there.

And now I'm REALLY mad.

His response is listed under a link called "Dr. Lema responds to recent blogs" and it refers to this as a "popular Anesthesiology Web forum".

On the site he doesn't give any explanation of his post or any indication why he responded, he just cut and pasted his passage from here.

What's he trying to portray to ASA members, that he is some tough guy who doesn't take any crap? Nothing constructive is in there.

And now I'm REALLY mad.

I was on the ASA members only section. My previous post is in reaction to LEMA's failed response to THIS site's legitimate concerns. All he did was chastise us and disavow this forum.

Blade

We are just getting started on this. I promise you that all our concerns will be heard by many. I am working on that.