ASA Resident Component

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SexPanther

This could be a problem
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to the ASA Resident Component's website:

http://www.asahq.org/asarc

It has a link to a resident listserv on which issues are discussed as well as a lot of other info. It also has information for medical students interested in anesthesiology.

We have a vested interest in our futures, this is another way to be involved and express your concerns, thoughts, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is a link to the ASA Resident Component's website:

http://www.asahq.org/asarc

It has a link to a resident listserv on which issues are discussed as well as a lot of other info. It also has information for medical students interested in anesthesiology.

We have a vested interest in our futures, this is another way to be involved and express your concerns, thoughts, etc.

I urge you guys to stick together via the private forum and your own efforts.
The ASA agenda's is not yours and unfortunately, will result in the death of anesthesia as you see it today.

Blade

The ASA agenda's is not yours and unfortunately, will result in the death of anesthesia as you see it today.

Blade

do you have any specifics, ether? you appear to be very long at stating what you perceive to be problems in a vague manner, but very short on providing realistic, concrete, implementable solutions.

Members don't see this ad :)

Blade

Regardless of whether you want to admit it or not, the ASA, including the Resident Component Society, are still, by and large, the voice of the profession. You may not agree with everything they do, or you may not think they're doing enough to advance your particular viewpoints, but they still are the largest organization that represents you (and even me as an AA - and yes I'm a member of the ASA).

Just curious - have you ever attended the ASA Legislative Conference? If you haven't, you should. I did two years ago as a member of the Georgia delegation. It's a real eye-opener about real politics. The political side is not nearly as simple and straight-forward as you think it is. Everyone has their hands out wanting something from congress and there are countless viewpoints to consider. As much as you think your opinion is the right one, there are plenty of opposing viewpoints, and every one of them is there in DC getting face time or sending emails.

One of the things I learned there, and one that was reinforced last weekend at the AAAA meeting was that each of us needs to have a relationship with our own member of congress and local legislators. You need to know them, and they need to know you. Does your representative know you personally? Can he call you if he has a question about anesthesiology-related legislation? If not, why not? I know my member of congress. I sat in his office and chatted with him a couple of years ago during the ASA conference. He knows my name, and he and his staff have my contact information should they ever need information about AA's. (We do in fact have federal issues, such as our recent admission as a provider within the VA system)

You and I are intelligent guys - we think we know what's going on. But every time I turn around, I learn something about an issue that I never considered. I learn by being deeply involved in the AAAA, ASA, and GSA. The little tidbits learned on this board are often helpful, but I can't make a difference if I'm not involved with the very organizations that speak for ME.

do you have any specifics, ether? you appear to be very long at stating what you perceive to be problems in a vague manner, but very short on providing realistic, concrete, implementable solutions.

Volatile,

I am waiting for your input in the private forum. I even mentioned you there.

Blade

Regardless of whether you want to admit it or not, the ASA, including the Resident Component Society, are still, by and large, the voice of the profession. You may not agree with everything they do, or you may not think they're doing enough to advance your particular viewpoints, but they still are the largest organization that represents you (and even me as an AA - and yes I'm a member of the ASA).

Just curious - have you ever attended the ASA Legislative Conference? If you haven't, you should. I did two years ago as a member of the Georgia delegation. It's a real eye-opener about real politics. The political side is not nearly as simple and straight-forward as you think it is. Everyone has their hands out wanting something from congress and there are countless viewpoints to consider. As much as you think your opinion is the right one, there are plenty of opposing viewpoints, and every one of them is there in DC getting face time or sending emails.

The proof is in the puddding my friend. The ASA has two agendas and the primary one is maintaining the status quo. Where is our PR campaign? Where is the attempt to counter the ever increasing encroachment by the AANA on the practice of Medicine (they are already there in some states)?

Sorry, but the ASA has FAILED in this regard and in my opinon, will lead to the death of the specialty as you now see it. The best option is an infusion of "new blood' from the next generation of Anesthesiologists. People who have not been corrupted by the AANA agenda (lots of money to be made off of SRNA's and CRNA's) and the desire to keep the good times rolling.

In fact, when one organization fails to represent its membership properly a new one should be created to fulfill those goals. I am advocating the creation of such an organization and the details
are stated in the private forum.

The new organization will be much more limited in scope than the ASA. Over time many of us hope the ASA will come to recognize and incorporate those ideas.

Blade

Ether, it's been said before. A private, anonymous internet forum is hardly the most effective way to start a revolution. I really hope your passion for saving the specialty extends beyond the few hours you spend posting. If it did, I would hope you would get involved at the legislative level, as suggested.

Ether, it's been said before. A private, anonymous internet forum is hardly the most effective way to start a revolution. I really hope your passion for saving the specialty extends beyond the few hours you spend posting. If it did, I would hope you would get involved at the legislative level, as suggested.

Have you been on the private forum? Do you know the ideas being posted there? We need an EVOLUTION in the ASA and not necessarily a Revolution.

Blade