You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
ASA San Diego: Who's going?
Started by PJF
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Nop
I like the part where half the sponsors are amcs
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I considered it. I’m at a point where it wouldn’t hurt to network a bit. Just not sure
Networking on sdn > asaI considered it. I’m at a point where it wouldn’t hurt to network a bit. Just not sure
I considered it. I’m at a point where it wouldn’t hurt to network a bit. Just not sure
Thought your job is pretty good though
It’s pays wellThought your job is pretty good though
It’s pays well
It's all about the benjamins
Yeah….but you can’t spend them if you’re always on callIt's all about the benjamins
Sounds like a lot of people aren't going but I'll be there over the weekend.
D
deleted87051
Yeah….but you can’t spend them if you’re always on call
That’s what family is for.
That’s what family is for.
Family is what call is for
Was curious who is going to ASA this year?
I honestly didn't think they were going to have it and didn't buy tickets until a couple weeks ago.
Pretty crazy seeing people still go to ASA. It is not for you folks, it's to milk couple grands every year out of your shrinking pocket and send out useless statements every time CRNAs are gaining more ground.
Pretty crazy seeing people still go to ASA. It is not for you folks, it's to milk couple grands every year out of your shrinking pocket and send out useless statements every time CRNAs are gaining more ground.
agree ASA is dumb
I don't disagree, but what is useful? I like San Diego.agree ASA is dumb
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I do believe there’s some nuance in this conversation. I’m not sure ASA meeting is dumb per se, in as much as, it doesn’t do much for us in private practice. I think it’s geared more for academic anesthesiologists.
You’re not advancing your career in PP by attending society meetings and getting FASA designated it certainly helps in academics
You’re not advancing your career in PP by attending society meetings and getting FASA designated it certainly helps in academics
I don't disagree, but what is useful? I like San Diego.
The meeting might be ok
The ASA as a society is dumb
D
deleted126335
Pretty crazy seeing people still go to ASA. It is not for you folks, it's to milk couple grands every year out of your shrinking pocket and send out useless statements every time CRNAs are gaining more ground.
I have been to four over a thirty year career. Evenly spaced out.
They are often in a nice city to explore. That I wouldn’t otherwise have visited.Nice restaurants
Good to reconnect with former colleagues from residency or previous practices
As a generalist, there is enough academic stuff that I find clinically useful.
If I spent all my time in a single sub specialty, wouldn’t find it terribly useful.
Last edited by a moderator:
The 2022 SCA meeting is Palm Springs. I might open the wallet for that one. Maybe a colleague or two will want to go to Joshua Tree for a vision quest lolI have been to four over a thirty year career. Evenly spaced out.
They are often in a nice city to explore. That I wouldn’t otherwise have visited.Nice restaurants
Good to reconnect with former colleagues from residency or previous practices
As a generalist, there is enough academic stuff that I find clinically useful.
If I spent all my time in a single sub specialty, wouldn’t find it terribly useful.
The 2022 SCA meeting is Palm Springs. I might open the wallet for that one. Maybe a colleague or two will want to go to Joshua Tree for a vision quest lol
Go before it burns down completely
I do believe there’s some nuance in this conversation. I’m not sure ASA meeting is dumb per se, in as much as, it doesn’t do much for us in private practice. I think it’s geared more for academic anesthesiologists.
You’re not advancing your career in PP by attending society meetings and getting FASA designated it certainly helps in academics
Hmm. I was an academic anesthesiologist. I think the use of ASA is for networking and giving presentations for your CV. As a learning tool not so thrilled. Re FASA I just don't get it. Seems like such a silly money grab. I know a PP anesthesiologist that has it...why I dunno.
D
deleted87051
I prefer smaller more focused meetings….with a theme….like echo or skiiing
I agree. Those designations mean nothing in PP. All people care about is “Can you provide this patient an anesthetic and can you do it fast?”Hmm. I was an academic anesthesiologist. I think the use of ASA is for networking and giving presentations for your CV. As a learning tool not so thrilled. Re FASA I just don't get it. Seems like such a silly money grab. I know a PP anesthesiologist that has it...why I dunno.
In many ways the ASA is just a giant review course of the cases you may come across in your daily work life. There’s very little that I came across and said “Oh, maybe I should do it that way”. The networking is good if an academic job is your plan because just about every department is there and you can talk to people in person. Going there to hook up with an AMC is a waste because you can literally email them from your bathroom and they’ll offer you an interview/visit.
Otherwise, go to connect with friends from residency and get away from the grind or work/family.
It’s in April 2022. It’s almost literally going to be Cardiac Anesthesia CoachellaGo before it burns down completely
It’s in April 2022. It’s almost literally going to be Cardiac Anesthesia Coachella
Based on pics I'm not sure that I would want to attend an anesthesia version of that
Similar threads
- Replies
- 26
- Views
- 9K