ASDOH. Accepted with LOW DAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MichealScott

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine was accepted to AZ yesterday with a 15 AA/13 PAT on the DAT. Has anyone heard of anyone with lower numbers getting in?

Members don't see this ad.

A friend of mine was accepted to AZ yesterday with a 15 AA/13 PAT on the DAT. Has anyone heard of anyone with lower numbers getting in?

wow are you sure? if that is true...there are a lot of politics going on behind the closed curtain

Yeah I'm sure. I think that he had a good interview. Not a horrible GPA...3.6. Very bright individual despite stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard of one person who had a really low GPA (D's in Chemistry) thinking that their dad could just donate money to their school of choice in order to get accepted. I certainly hope schools have better standards than that!

If you look at ASDOH they accept people with high and low stats...their stats are all over. I think they're looking for people that will fit in their school. Their overall stats are still pretty low compare to the other schools. But a 13 in PAT and a 15AA?...i think you can bubble things in and get close to that.

Were there any other extenuating circumstances to his or her acceptance? I mean, maybe that person did some outstanding extracurricular work...though I think he probably would have needed to go on some kind of life saving missions to antarctica in order to have gotten an interview with stats that low.

Oh well, good for whoever it is. I wish more of my friends with imperfect stats but amazing attitudes and other work could get some love from schools.

When I interviewed there, I talked to a D1 friend of mine and he said that the range of DAT scores for his class was 15 to 25. I definitely believe it.

Well, ASDOH certainly keeps what they want in a dental student a complete mystery while at the same time making butt tons of money by interviewing everyone and their mother!!!

Godspeed if you're applying to ASDOH and good luck!

No, actually I have 2 friends that got accepted with 15's for their AA. One even got a 14 on the PAT. They aren't even from Arizona and have 0 connections. One told me he called twice a week and even went down to Arizona and talked with Joyce Haynie. AZ typically has some of the worst entry scores. i guess that's why they had some of the lowest passing rates on the boards last year.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure where you got that info about boards, but only one person failed their boards.
I heard last years board scores were the best the school has had and averaged pretty high compared to other schools. I am also pretty sure no one releases actual board statistics but I feel pretty good about the education I am getting there.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Last year the pass rate was 94% and Ill tell you how it breaks down. 1 student had to retake the entire exam and 3 students just had to retake 1 section. I don't know other school's pass rates but I really doubt that would be near the bottom.

No, actually I have 2 friends that got accepted with 15's for their AA. One even got a 14 on the PAT. They aren't even from Arizona and have 0 connections. One told me he called twice a week and even went down to Arizona and talked with Joyce Haynie. AZ typically has some of the worst entry scores. i guess that's why they had some of the lowest passing rates on the boards last year.

Sounds like someone has issues with ASDOH...

Unlike many other dental schools, ASDOH looks at personality and whether you will fit into their program. My DAT score was an 18 and I graduated with a 3.34 GPA and I got accepted into the school. When I had my interview with ASDOH, they were looking at "personality" rather than merely "book smart". That's what makes ASDOH a unique school. They want people who are passionate about dentistry and who truly wanna make a difference after graduation. For example, ASDOH interviews 8 people at a time (much lower than the average dental school), they do a group session to watch how you interact with other students. They also do a presentation session and a manual dexterity. During the interview process, they don't ask difficult questions to catch you off guard (such as "why did you get a D in a specific course"). They understand that there is more to dentistry than someone who has great scores. If you get an interview in ASDOH, don't worry about your grades at that point and let them know that you are a passionate individual that want to give back to the community. I also recommend you volunteer at non-profit clinics to show them that you care about making a difference

Reactions: 1 users