ASDOH housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Manyak222

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, let me say hello to all of my future classmates. I am excited to meet each and every one of you and look forward to spending the next 4 years with all of you.

I'm from california and am looking for a nice location close to campus but am having a somewhat difficult time deciding which area I want to look at when I go there next month. I've looked into the Gilbert area, but am a little worried about the high mormon population. I am not at all religious, nor do I come from a conservative background.
West of campus I've been told is kind of ghetto. I was hoping for this not to be the case, since it seems like there are many attractive apartments there.

I wanted this thread to be a housing information thread, so feel free to post any thoughts, opinions, or knowledge about anything related to housing within 15 miles of campus. If you have seen some apartments or areas and think they are nice (or not), please share. Any info would be much appreciated by me and probably many others in our class.
Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Dude...you know me and I'm mormon. I'm as standard as they come. West of campus isn't that ghetto. I live in downtown Mesa and it's pretty ghetto so I wouldn't recommend that area. Look for an area and I'll tell you my opinion of it. I grew up in Mesa and know the area very well so I can be a resource.

Dude...you know me and I'm mormon. I'm as standard as they come. West of campus isn't that ghetto. I live in downtown Mesa and it's pretty ghetto so I wouldn't recommend that area. Look for an area and I'll tell you my opinion of it. I grew up in Mesa and know the area very well so I can be a resource.

Thanks for the reply. I guess ive been told by a family friend one too many times that she didnt think id like it there and it kind of stuck. She hates Arizona lol. Where exactly is downtown mesa?

Looking online for apartments, Vista Grove (1320 South Val Vista Drive
Mesa, AZ 85204) and University Green (265 North Gilbert Road
Mesa, AZ 85203) were ones I liked. If the area is a good one, I wouldnt mind living there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. I guess ive been told by a family friend one too many times that she didnt think id like it there and it kind of stuck. She hates Arizona lol. Where exactly is downtown mesa?

Looking online for apartments, Vista Grove (1320 South Val Vista Drive
Mesa, AZ 85204) and University Green (265 North Gilbert Road
Mesa, AZ 85203) were ones I liked. If the area is a good one, I wouldnt mind living there.

If it came down to those two, I would go with Vista Grove. Both are good areas. You could also check out Tempe near ASU. There is never a dull moment living next to that campus.

Manyak222 - Hi. Are you Russian...because manyak means crazy person in Russian...Let me know. PM me. I live in Arizona and unfortunately I didn't get into ASDOH or any other dental school this year (late applicant). ASDOH is an excellent school and I had a good interview - but better luck next year! I'm currently doing a Master's program at A.T. Still University in Mesa though. I'm applying to dental schools way early this next cycle for 2008 - trust me!~ Well, PM me when you get the chance. Later! :D

If it came down to those two, I would go with Vista Grove. Both are good areas. You could also check out Tempe near ASU. There is never a dull moment living next to that campus.

It may be more interesting, but you don't want to be that far away from campus. After a long day at school, it's nice to have a 5-minute drive home rather than a 25-minute commute. Just my opinion.

I've looked into the Gilbert area, but am a little worried about the high mormon population. I am not at all religious, nor do I come from a conservative background.

If you are afraid of those mormons you might need to watch out for your classmates not your neighbors. You can avoid talking to a neighbor, but you may have a hard time ignoring the 20% of your class that is mormon. Good luck

Hey guys, I will be attending ASDOH as well this summer. I am starting to look at apartments/roommates etc. Have any of you looked at the ATSU portal for information about apartments? I briefely looked on there and they give a list of some apartments and how close they are to the school.

I was also wondering if there's a place for all the incoming first years to post on the portal about housing and roommates. Does anyone know anything about the portal?

If you are afraid of those mormons you might need to watch out for your classmates not your neighbors. You can avoid talking to a neighbor, but you may have a hard time ignoring the 20% of your class that is mormon. Good luck

I have no issue with mormons, or any other race, creed, nationality for that matter. I never said anything about avoiding any particular people due to their beliefs or where they come from, so I don't know where you got that from. Im probably the most tolerant person you could ever meet. I simply wanted to know where a young, diverse community exists around campus. I say this because, being a jew, I doubt there would be ways for me to go to temple or buy kosher food in a town where there are no jews at all. I would probably have an easier time in a more diverse city.

I know this having lived in a city in Nevada where most of the population was caucasian. I had absolutely NO issues with that, but trying to find a temple or kosher stores was difficult.

Hey guys, I will be attending ASDOH as well this summer. I am starting to look at apartments/roommates etc. Have any of you looked at the ATSU portal for information about apartments? I briefely looked on there and they give a list of some apartments and how close they are to the school.

I was also wondering if there's a place for all the incoming first years to post on the portal about housing and roommates. Does anyone know anything about the portal?

I tried to follow that link as well, but can't find a message board for housing. Ill be there in the next 3-4 weeks, and ill post whatever experiences I have with the housing there, good and bad.

I tried to follow that link as well, but can't find a message board for housing. Ill be there in the next 3-4 weeks, and ill post whatever experiences I have with the housing there, good and bad.

Sounds good. I will look forward to hearing what you have to say about the housing there. I am also hoping to get down there in late April to check out some options.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no issue with mormons, or any other race, creed, nationality for that matter. I never said anything about avoiding any particular people due to their beliefs or where they come from, so I don't know where you got that from. Im probably the most tolerant person you could ever meet. I simply wanted to know where a young, diverse community exists around campus. I say this because, being a jew, I doubt there would be ways for me to go to temple or buy kosher food in a town where there are no jews at all. I would probably have an easier time in a more diverse city.

I know this having lived in a city in Nevada where most of the population was caucasian. I had absolutely NO issues with that, but trying to find a temple or kosher stores was difficult.

Interesting enough, I will be starting at ASDOH this summer. Long story short, I am mormon as is my wife. My wife's sister however, converted to Judaism years ago. She is in the process of moving here to Arizona from Montreal and is looking for an area close to us (I live 10 minutes from the school), where she can also find a Jewish temple and kosher shopping. She will be moving here in the next couple of weeks, so I will keep you informed as to what she finds.

I found out that the closest Jewish temple is about 15 miles from the school. It is located in the city of Chandler (3400 N Dobson Rd, Chandler, AZ), which is a nice area. It is also located in an area that would offer you a little more diversity than Mesa. I hope this helps Manyak, and look forward to meeting you.

You'll basically want to avoid dentistry altogether if that's the case.

hey, i live in the phoenix area but am looking to get a house within 5 miles from school with a couple roommates (male or female... doesn't matter). please let me know if you're interested.

Hey guys, i'm interested in a couple of roommates as well. I have heard the housing market is good in Mesa right now, so it may work better to rent a house with a few other students. Here is a link to a nice 3 bedroom house within 5 min drive from the school. Let me know what you guys think.

http://arizonahousing.vflyer.com/1/index.html

Why don't you buy instead of renting and charge people to rent from you! PM if you want more info on how to buy a house..I can give you some info on options on different way you can finance...I'm buying right now in scottsdale but there are tons of houses next to the school....my family does real estate in phx so it helps alot
Hey guys, i'm interested in a couple of roommates as well. I have heard the housing market is good in Mesa right now, so it may work better to rent a house with a few other students. Here is a link to a nice 3 bedroom house within 5 min drive from the school. Let me know what you guys think.

http://arizonahousing.vflyer.com/1/index.html

right now the houses i've been looking at are about 1600-1800 square feet, 3 bedrooms... so i'm looking for 2 roommates. i'm looking at houses that are no more than 5 miles from school.

I am also attending ASDOH class of 2011 and looking for roommates and housing. I am not going to Arizona to look at apartments, just using the web. Any suggestions?

I am also attending ASDOH class of 2011 and looking for roommates and housing. I am not going to Arizona to look at apartments, just using the web. Any suggestions?

If you want to live close to the school i've heard sandbridge apartments and sonoma landing apartments are pretty nice. They are both close to the school and i think quite a few ATSU students live there. Check those out online. I will be going down there to check out apartments and maybe a few houses at the end of this month, so I will let ya know what I find out.

Hey 2011ers,

Im coming down to Az tomorow morning and will look for an apartment the whole day thursday and most of the day friday. If anyone wants to meet up and hitch a free ride around town to look at different places around mesa/gilbert, feel free to pm me.

Dave

If you want to live close to the school i've heard sandbridge apartments and sonoma landing apartments are pretty nice.

Lots of students at both of those, and they are about 1/2 mile away from the school. Pretty nice places, as far as I know. I actually think Sandbridge got renamed (but I could be wrong). Sonoma Landing are only 2 years old, and Sandbridge (or whatever they are now) are about 4.5 years old.

Update on my 2 day search for a place at Az:

The Groves: Definitely one of the nicer places I visited, but there is an income restriction issue. They don't have any 1 bedrooms available, only 2, but the price for those is 680. No W/D in unit, only the connections for it. Very large units, though. You also can't live there alone and be a full time student, as at least one occupant must work. The area that the Groves is in is barren when traveling farther south. There seems to be a lot of planning for construction in the future around that area.

Sonoma landing: Walk in closets seem to be the norm in Arizona apartments, but the roman tub was a nice addition. Decent gym, comp room, and DVD room. The only turn off was the extremly small living room (not much of a living room at all). This automatically disqualified it for me. $30 Dental student discount. Special is 100 off a month or 1.5 months free on 12 month lease. rent would be in the 600s for a 1 BR.

San Montego: only a mile away from school, I was really impressed with this place and put a deposit here. Beautiful apartments, nice layout, tiled kitchen & bathroom, roman tub, W/D, WIC, large apartments, ceiling fans, gym, and all kinds of crazy deals. They waive the app fee (40), admin fee (100), halve the deposit fee to 100, and give u 2 free months PLUS 500 bucks off. This cut the rent from 808 to 616 for a 12 month lease. Good luck trying to find a place there though, when i was there everyone and their mother wanted a place there. Im probably gonna live here, as it's close to campus, restaurants, shopping centers, malls, etc.

Stone Canyon: Nice place overall, but 3 stories high. I put a deposit here as well. Very affordable:1 BR is 630 for 727 sq. ft., or 646 for 817 sq ft. 2 BR from 729 plus. They have tennis courts and all appliances included. There is a 1.75% tax here and you must have renters insurance (13 a month). they do waive 500 deposit OAC.

Aztec springs: Probably the nicest place online ( I was really excited about this place) but the ugliest place I saw while at Az. Cheesy cabinetry, it looked like a 1970's bad joke. Plus they had no units available and thus no specials. Wasn't in the greatest looking area either. Total waste of time.

San Angelin: I think this is the closest possible complex to the campus (right on baseline west of campus). Lower income housing a la Groves so you better meet income restrictions. I didnt like the layout. 1BR is 614 2 is 730.

Sandbridge: Now callled colonial properties. Overall it was pretty nice. 5% student discount. Not a bad place to live as it's right next to San Angelin. rent before discount is 760 for 1br, 805 for 2. worth a visit.

San Montero: Rent is too high here imo. It's 809 for 1 br.

Places I didnt go to: Lakeview (bad reviews online), Bala Desertscape (rent too high), serena shores (scorpion issues), broadstone, wyndhaven, Island Palms and anything else farther from campus. gentry's walk and cortona at Dona park were close to Stone canyon but I didn't bother going. too tired from looking at all the rest. All apartments included W/D except groves, pools, gyms, walk in closets and appliances etc. Almost all didn't pay for water or electricity. If you guys have any specific questions let me know.. I hope this helps at least somebody...

Thanks for all the great info Manyak! That will definitely help me since I will be down there doing the same thing this weekend! So, did you put the deposit down at San Montego for a 1 bedroom? It seemed like from your post that you are not looking for a roommate. Did Sandbridge have any apartments available to rent?

Update on my 2 day search for a place at Az:

The Groves: Definitely one of the nicer places I visited, but there is an income restriction issue. They don't have any 1 bedrooms available, only 2, but the price for those is 680. No W/D in unit, only the connections for it. Very large units, though. You also can't live there alone and be a full time student, as at least one occupant must work. The area that the Groves is in is barren when traveling farther south. There seems to be a lot of planning for construction in the future around that area.

Sonoma landing: Walk in closets seem to be the norm in Arizona apartments, but the roman tub was a nice addition. Decent gym, comp room, and DVD room. The only turn off was the extremly small living room (not much of a living room at all). This automatically disqualified it for me. $30 Dental student discount. Special is 100 off a month or 1.5 months free on 12 month lease. rent would be in the 600s for a 1 BR.

San Montego: only a mile away from school, I was really impressed with this place and put a deposit here. Beautiful apartments, nice layout, tiled kitchen & bathroom, roman tub, W/D, WIC, large apartments, ceiling fans, gym, and all kinds of crazy deals. They waive the app fee (40), admin fee (100), halve the deposit fee to 100, and give u 2 free months PLUS 500 bucks off. This cut the rent from 808 to 616 for a 12 month lease. Good luck trying to find a place there though, when i was there everyone and their mother wanted a place there. Im probably gonna live here, as it's close to campus, restaurants, shopping centers, malls, etc.

Stone Canyon: Nice place overall, but 3 stories high. I put a deposit here as well. Very affordable:1 BR is 630 for 727 sq. ft., or 646 for 817 sq ft. 2 BR from 729 plus. They have tennis courts and all appliances included. There is a 1.75% tax here and you must have renters insurance (13 a month). they do waive 500 deposit OAC.

Aztec springs: Probably the nicest place online ( I was really excited about this place) but the ugliest place I saw while at Az. Cheesy cabinetry, it looked like a 1970's bad joke. Plus they had no units available and thus no specials. Wasn't in the greatest looking area either. Total waste of time.

San Angelin: I think this is the closest possible complex to the campus (right on baseline west of campus). Lower income housing a la Groves so you better meet income restrictions. I didnt like the layout. 1BR is 614 2 is 730.

Sandbridge: Now callled colonial properties. Overall it was pretty nice. 5% student discount. Not a bad place to live as it's right next to San Angelin. rent before discount is 760 for 1br, 805 for 2. worth a visit.

San Montero: Rent is too high here imo. It's 809 for 1 br.

Places I didnt go to: Lakeview (bad reviews online), Bala Desertscape (rent too high), serena shores (scorpion issues), broadstone, wyndhaven, Island Palms and anything else farther from campus. gentry's walk and cortona at Dona park were close to Stone canyon but I didn't bother going. too tired from looking at all the rest. All apartments included W/D except groves, pools, gyms, walk in closets and appliances etc. Almost all didn't pay for water or electricity. If you guys have any specific questions let me know.. I hope this helps at least somebody...

Hey Dakota,
I did end up putting a deposit at montego. It's in the middle of many businesses, shopping centers, banks, and right next to campus. They did have apartments at sandbridge, but you should call ahead as thats the only way you can find out. this should save u trips to places that are full (like aztec springs). Overall, most of the places were pretty similar, so it was all about location and price. the only problem with montego is the rent goes up to 808 after 1 year (unless they have a special at that time).

I am not looking for a roomate as I already have one (gf). ps, if you find a roomate who isnt a full time student, you may be able to get into lower income housing.
See you in July!