ASDOH Match Rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UltimateHombre

Doc Holliday D.D.S.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey friends! So i went to the ASDOH predental simulation course this weekend and Dr. Dillernberg (Dean) said that this years class matched 14/14 for Pedo. I thought that was pretty impressive, especially for a class of only 76 (might be smaller, i think they just barely increased a year or two ago). From talking to other students i think they also matched 3 or 4 into ortho and 5 or 6 into prosth. Don't know much about the other specialties, but i will update when i get more info.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey friends! So i went to the ASDOH predental simulation course this weekend and Dr. Dillernberg (Dean) said that this years class matched 14/14 for Pedo. I thought that was pretty impressive, especially for a class of only 76 (might be smaller, i think they just barely increased a year or two ago). From talking to other students i think they also matched 3 or 4 into ortho and 5 or 6 into prosth. Don't know much about the other specialties, but i will update when i get more info.

Wow is the school really that good because they're entry stats are so low. Just curious not being mean.

Wow is the school really that good because they're entry stats are so low. Just curious not being mean.

I think it is personally one of the best clinical schools out there. It is public health oriented and about 1/3 it's class every year graduates with a dual MPH. However, it is still a fairly new school, open 10 years. Their entry stats are on the lower end, because their whole philosophy on dentistry is different. They look for a lot of community service and look for very well rounded applicants. Their class profile is very diverse with many students who are: non trads, married, slightly older, and have a unique story.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will tell you exactly why ASDOH is matched so well.
Easy class schedule. I've heard it from multiple students that it is easier than their undergrad where they fought to be top 10% to get a A. 1 exam per week. Damnn can u believe that?
The module is set up in a way to target for board Part 1. Of course you take after 1 yr. Scores have to be higher than students taking in their 2nd yr from other schools.

Since they have so much time left, they get to do all kinds of volunteering events/programs. I've never seen any D1 and D2 students get to do that many ECs compared to those from other schools.

Think about it. Easy grade system, classes are targeted for part1. And then tons of volunteering. They have to get matched pretty much anywhere they wanna go. (which is good for them & they work hard too)

It is an awesome school with a lot of clinical training.
But I found it pretty funny that a school with no tenured faculty charges almost near 400k. It is so geared towards to public/community dental care (which is great and admirable) but then 40% students end up specializing.
And I wonder if anyone can survive from 400k debt by working at non-profit clinic and getting paid for ~120k. especially when public loan forgiveness is not guaranteed.

Anyhow a great school. if u wanna specialize, it is the best school to go to (IMO). I'm pushing one of my friends to go there for that reason next year.

Last edited:
I will tell you exactly why ASDOH is matched so well.
Easy class schedule. I've heard it from multiple students that it is easier than their undergrad where they fought to be top 10% to get a A. 1 exam per week. Damnn can u believe that?
The module is set up in a way to target for board Part 1. Of course you take after 1 yr. Scores have to be higher than students taking in their 2nd yr from other schools.

Since they have so much time left, they get to do all kinds of volunteering events/programs. I've never seen any D1 and D2 students get to do that many ECs compared to those from other schools.

Think about it. Easy grade system, classes are targeted for part1. And then tons of volunteering. They have to get matched pretty much anywhere they wanna go. (which is good for them & they work hard too)

It is an awesome school with a lot of clinical training.
But I found it pretty funny that a school with no tenured faculty charges almost near 400k. It is so geared towards to public/community dental care (which is great and admirable) but then 40% students end up specializing.
And I wonder if anyone can survive from 400k debt by working at non-profit clinic and getting paid for ~120k. especially when public loan forgiveness is not guaranteed.

Anyhow a great school. if u wanna specialize, it is the best school to go to (IMO). I'm pushing one of my friends to go there for that reason next year.

so basically its just easier... i wonder how much those grads actually know what they're doing...

so basically its just easier... i wonder how much those grads actually know what they're doing...

I am not in dental school, but have a hard time beleiving that their cirriculum is somehow any easier than most dental schools. Maybe the modular program makes it easier, but they still have to take the same courses as any other dental student. Also, don't most dental schools prepare their students to pass the boards... isn't that kind of the point. Finally, the tuition and fees runs about 50-60K a year, which is in the exact ballpark as most private schools.

Here is the list of courses for the first semester of first year, tell me if they are lacking in education:

Intro to Dentistry
Craniofacial Embryology
Genetics
Medical Microbiology
Craniofacial Histology
Musculoskeletal
Neuroscience
Endocrinology
Cardiopulmonary
Immunology
Metabolism
Digestive System
Renal
Head and Neck Anatomy
Profesionalism I

This thread after TheClutch's comment eerily reminds me of the UOP "cuts the fat" from dental curriculum discussion.

I'm not saying ASDOH lacks education. I was talking about how exams are set up. Most dental school have midterm and finals and students need to take 7 exams in 5 days or something like that. However, imagine taking an exam (mon) after learning from Tue to Fri. You study one part per week and have an exam every week instead of having multiple exams on a few days.
Of course you are gonna do better in ASDOH setting.

You probably heard of something like going to Harvard medical school doesn't mean you will get into best residency. Some students who went to average med school still secure top residency programs. Maybe it was relatively easier to rank high in class, who knows?
the bottom line is the way systems are set up at ASDOH is pretty good. Good for the students. Congrats to those who got matched.

uop is pretty rigorous actually. I have friends who are in first year and they are extremely brilliant and have crazy work ethics but struggles not to fall behind. Tests are pretty much everyday, and most of D1s go through hell I guess.

This thread after TheClutch's comment eerily reminds me of the UOP "cuts the fat" from dental curriculum discussion.
Well, you're sort of on to something in comparing ASDOH to UoP. ASDOH takes their boards after year 1 because they were originally designing their school program to fit into three years instead of four, like UoP. They opted to do fourth year externships instead in order to increase student proficiency and increase their skills and exposure to the field. I've met one of their grads, he was very comfortable with the procedures after graduation.

Well, you're sort of on to something in comparing ASDOH to UoP. ASDOH takes their boards after year 1 because they were originally designing their school program to fit into three years instead of four, like UoP. They opted to do fourth year externships instead in order to increase student proficiency and increase their skills and exposure to the field. I've met one of their grads, he was very comfortable with the procedures after graduation.

Sounds like a great place to go for specialization imho

I've worked with many D4's that were from ASDOH, and let me tell you they get loads of clinical experience. D3's are averaging the normal 2-3 patients a day at the on site clinic, but the big jump is for the D4's where they are seeing 6-10 patients a day, no joke. I volunteer at the CHC in Phoenix and the D4's were seeing a full load of patient base just as the residents were. The staff dentists also told me that their clinical skills were better than what they have been getting from residents from other schools. That is a huge reason why I chose ASDOH over a few other west coast schools that I was accepted to.

You can watch Dean Dillenberg's speech at the Pre-Dental Workshop here:

http://asdohasda.org/videos.html

Dean Dillenberg's a really colorful person, and one of the original founders of ASDA. He was recently the key note speaker at the 2011 Western Regional Conference in San Antonio, Texas.

@Member 444283
I wouldnt say ASDOH's curriculum/test schedule is any easier either. It is a lot more packed into one year. Whomever told you that it is only 1 test/week is incorrect. ASDOH students have some sort of exam every 2-3 days, and sometimes ever 4+/week.The module schedule, although allows for 1 class, for the most part, to be taken at one time, the material is given at a fast pace (like most schools), for longer hours, and a profound understanding is required to be recalled even quicker.