ASDOH vs. MWU IL vs. Western U

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASDOH vs. MWU IL vs. Western U

• ASDOH

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • MWU IL

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Western U

• Results

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ariana.a

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I’ve been fortunate enough to be accepted into 3 dental schools. ASDOH, Midwestern IL and Western U in Pomona California! I’m currently at a crossroads trying to figure out which school to choose. I am a Texas resident and potentially want to specialize in the future.

I would really appreciate any insights, experiences or suggestions from those who’ve navigated a similar situation or have knowledge about these schools. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been fortunate enough to be accepted into 3 dental schools. ASDOH, Midwestern IL and Western U in Pomona California! I’m currently at a crossroads trying to figure out which school to choose. I am a Texas resident and potentially want to specialize in the future.

I would really appreciate any insights, experiences or suggestions from those who’ve navigated a similar situation or have knowledge about these schools. Thank you!

please list the total COA of each school...

please list the total COA of each school...
Cost of Attendance (Tuition, living expenses, other stuff):
ASDOH = $141,171
Midwestern IL (MWU) = $147,603
Western U = $136,092

ASDOH:
PRO:
  • Pass & Fail curriculum
  • 4th-year rotations
  • Focus on Public health
  • public health certificate and the possibility of a masters
CONS:
  • Hot weather
  • The location is very isolated (Mesa, AZ)

Midwestern IL (MWU):
PROS:
  • Strong clinical program
  • Great technology (CAD/CAM)
  • The school offers free root canals
  • Implant experiences

CONS:
  • Cold weather and snow
Western U:
PROS:
  • Diverse student body
  • Interprofessional Education
CONS:
  • The school is not located in the best area (Ponoma, California)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
ASDOH = $141,171
Western U = $136,092

That looks like COA for ONE YEAR at each school. Multiply by 4 and be prepared to add costs due to inflation or the usual 3-5% increase approved by each university's boards of trustees. I'm a little surprised that Western comes out cheaper, given that it is still the Los Angeles area.

ASDOH:

CONS:
  • Hot weather

Midwestern IL (MWU):
CONS:
  • Cold weather and snow
Western U:
CONS:
You are very fixated on weather.

Pomona isn't in the worst area of Los Angeles either so I wouldn't call it a negative.

It would help to know what matters to you. If it's weather, eliminate Midwestern.

ASDOH = $141,171
Western U = $136,092

ASDOH:
PRO:
  • Pass & Fail curriculum
  • 4th-year rotations
  • Focus on Public health
  • public health certificate and the possibility of a masters
CONS:
  • Hot weather

Midwestern IL (MWU):
PROS:
  • Strong clinical program
  • Great technology (CAD/CAM)
  • The school offers free root canals
  • Implant experiences

CONS:
  • Cold weather and snow
Western U:
PROS:
  • Diverse student body
  • InterprofessionalEducation
CONS:
2019 data 4 year cost of attendance
asdoh $509,861
mw-il $494,716
western $445,550

Reactions: 2 users
That looks like COA for ONE YEAR at each school. Multiply by 4 and be prepared to add costs due to inflation or the usual 3-5% increase approved by each university's boards of trustees. I'm a little surprised that Western comes out cheaper, given that it is still the Los Angeles area.

You are very fixated on weather.

Pomona isn't in the worst area of Los Angeles either so I wouldn't call it a negative.

It would help to know what matters to you. If it's weather, eliminate Midwestern.
Thank you so much for your input. I’m sorry for not clarifying but those are the COA for one year only. For the 4 years ASDOH will be $564,684.00, Midwestern IL will be $590,412.00 and Western U will be $544,368.00. Surprisingly, they are all in a similar range. I am leaning towards ASDOH because of the P/F grading system, the emphasis on community service, the block curriculum, and 4th year rotations which will hopefully increase my chances of specializing in the future. However, I am a bit hesitant because I feel like MWU has more of a reputation and I have heard really good things about the clinical program. But I’m also from Texas so I’m a little worried about getting seasonal depression there lol. I want to choose the one that will give me the best clinical skills and the chance to specialize! Do you know which school has a stronger clinical program and more students who go on to specialize?

Thank you so much for your input. I’m sorry for not clarifying but those are the COA for one year only. For the 4 years ASDOH will be $564,684.00, Midwestern IL will be $590,412.00 and Western U will be $544,368.00. Surprisingly, they are all in a similar range. I am leaning towards ASDOH because of the P/F grading system, the emphasis on community service, the block curriculum, and 4th year rotations which will hopefully increase my chances of specializing in the future. However, I am a bit hesitant because I feel like MWU has more of a reputation and I have heard really good things about the clinical program. But I’m also from Texas so I’m a little worried about getting seasonal depression there lol. I want to choose the one that will give me the best clinical skills and the chance to specialize! Do you know which school has a stronger clinical program and more students who go on to specialize?
MWU prepares you very very well for being a general dentists but I don’t think they have many students specializing coming out of their class. ASDOH might have more students specializing

I would choose ATSU if I were you. ATSU's program seemed pretty amazing (besides the cost). The P/F, block schedule, and externships your D4 year are great. Plus, the Campus at ATSU is really nice, with great weather too. With the P/F curriculum you don't have to worry to much/stress compared to a graded system, however, if you are able to perform in the top 10% of class a ranked gpa would be better for specializing.

Are you able to contact the programs you were accepted to and ask them what % of people get into the specialty you desire? I have been looking at current residences and find a lot of ATSU graduates in many different ortho programs.

You’re about to be a dental student. You won’t be outside much. Don’t worry about the weather too much.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm from texas and I'm choosing MWU because I feel like that besides the weather, the school is pretty great! The cost is the only part I'm sad about, but we can always make that up!

Your naivety is painful 😣
I'm not thank you very much. I have a background in Finance, so obviously I'm not extremely happy to be stuck with this much debt but sometimes we have to go with the only options we have, and you just have to be smart.