Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

ASDOH vs UCSF

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by MrEcon, Dec 22, 2008.

1. MrEcon

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Ok so lets hear it. I would love to get some thoughts from those with these choices if your here. After living expenses tuition is about the same at both schools due to SF high cost of living and scholarship from ASDOH. Thanks for any constructive input. I'm leaning toward UCSF heavily but had really started warming up to ASDOH.

Thanks
    Withdrawing from Iowa (good luck Andrew) and Western Wednesday

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. prydA

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i'd say ucsf all the way.. just because it has a better name, sf > mesa, and bigger student life

4. Dentgirl09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    that's tough... but I guess if you are actually interested in ASDOH's mission it'd be worth going there. Otherwise... USCF seems the way to go.

Off tangent: Holy sh** pryda.... mind throwing some of those acceptances my way?? Jk.. Congrats!

5. Andrew324

7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Yay! Thanks for the luck, yeah I was checking out your predents the other day and saw you got UCSF and I thought well you are going to UCSF for sure, I know I would anyway. But either choice is great. You might want to think about if you are considering specializing or stay a general. ASDOH would be great for General but UCSF might have some major perks for when you apply to specialty programs. Other people will probably have deep insightful things to say but I would say UCSF as it is a top top school.

Congratulations!!!

6. Quattro DMD

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What kind of scholarship did you get to ASDOH? WICHE? I guess it depends if you're married and have a family. If you are then Mesa is a lot cheaper than SF.

7. xpheene

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    scholarship wins!!

8. eternalxdemon

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I say sf only cuz i remember your wife writing that poem and how much you talked about how you wanted to go to sf. if that was your initial reaction i'd say go with the initial thought and don't second guess your choices. :) gl with w/e you choose!!!! :thumbup:

9. MrEcon

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yeah, married with one son and another due the first week of July. ASDOH starts July 19th or 20th. UCSF starts in Oct so thats helpful. We live in Sacramento so UCSF is closer to extended family. The thought of us living in 750SF is kinda scary. My understanding of the P/F system at UCSF is that everything that is taken assignment/class/quiz needs to be passed. You are allowed a retake on tests but there is no chance to average a bad test with a good one. I'm not planning on doing poorly so its only a minor thought but I think we all have some bad test days. I think the P/F is a little more complicated than some think. Thanks for all the input. As for the scholarship at ASDOH the only thing I can say is "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" fits very well. Even with the scholarship the tuition is still cheaper at UCSF its just a two bedroom place in SF is crazy expensive. Just looked up some preschool costs and they are up around 800 a month ouch.

10. Quattro DMD

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well it sounds like you have a tough choice. Either school is going to make you a competant dentist, so I guess it's just a matter of what fits your needs. Good luck w/ your decision.

11. iJackTeeth

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    both schools are great, but with your family situation, ASDOH is definitely the best choice in terms of housing/preschool and just the overall cost of attendance

12. lafuturedent82

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I've been thinking about the same thing a lot lately. I'm not in the same boat (yet - yes wishful thinking) but I have done some comparisions and I would have to definitely say that having a family in SF would be MUCH harder and more EXPENSIVE than in Mesa. Also, I have been talking with some UCSF students and I'll just say that it seems like the school is having trouble with retaining faculty and some people aren't happy with the clinical experience they are receiving. That being said... if I was accepted there, I'm not sure what I would do - the name and rep are appealing.

13. Imbetterthanyou

Imbetterthanyou Seriously, I am!
    2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    No one chooses ASDOH over UCSF. If money's a problem, the wife can get a job. Unless she one of those....

14. xpheene

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    when you are married, the wife means more than the world son. Think about the family and kids before yourself.

15. Doc Ock

2+ Year Member

Dentist
    But you don't have to live in SF. East Bay has some affordable and family friendly areas. Commuting can be done with BART. Or are there no close BART stations to Parnasses?

16. Imbetterthanyou

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Does she mean so much to you that you let her do nothing all day? Sit around at home all day while you do all the work. Could be love. Could be someone taking advantage of you. Your wife sounds like she's one of those....

17. xpheene

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    yes she can be a housewife. she cant really take advantage of you if she had your kid before dental school. Its L-O-V-E son, <3.

18. blissy07

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    ASDOH has an extra emphasis on community dentistry, but I do not think you will find UCSF lacking in outreach opportunities. If it was my choice, I would go to UCSF

19. Imbetterthanyou

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Stop doing that "<3." Only girls write that. It's effeminate, son.

Still, no one chooses ASDOH over UCSF. The woman can get a job if money becomes tight. You can still love your wife, but you'll just love her while she's at work.

#18 Imbetterthanyou, Dec 26, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  20. xpheene

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I refuse son, me no <3 u no more! I think op would be happy wherever he chooses. Sf the city is tough. I don't know if it would be a good place to raise kids.

21. MrEcon

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I have heard similar stories from the fourth years at UCSF. My take on it was that this group had some transitions to work through. They had an in-term dean and now have dean Featherstone officially although he was both i think. They also had some changes in the kit and fee structure. As a soon to be D1 I think we will not know any different and Dean Featherstone will have worked out any kinks. I have heard some of the morale from faculty and students was down a little due to some faculty leaving. But I have no clue about specifics and by the time I get to clinic I'm sure any the issues will be resolved. I was also told by a fourth year that they are getting the classes into clinic earlier each year. All these changes sound positive. I can't wait for city living.

ASDOH has the great fourth year clinical rotations. Also their systems approach sounds perfect for me. The problem I see with the rotations is that room and board are extra. They say that you might be able to room with somebody but if not the cost is on you. That could get pretty expensive for 24 weeks. Just another cost not put into the budget.

I will practice in Ca so the network I create will be beneficial for me. We plan on living on campus for year one or until after the 1st board exam and then move out and take Bart in.

Thanks for all the input guys. Wife may are may not work depends on income and cost for childcare. Trade offs... life is full of them:)
    UCSF Class of 2013:woot:

22. Andrew324

7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Congratulations on your Choice! It is a great school

23. Hyphy Dentist

Hyphy Dentist Doctor of Hyphy Dentistry

Pre-Dental
    living in the bay area could be a bit dangerous for a family, (CHOOSE A SAFE NEIGHBORHOOD)

too many people, too little cops

try living in san francisco tho, commuting would be tough in dental school, especially if you plan on driving to school, too much traffic

plus there a bunch of hooligans out here

exhibit A: highway 580 takeover (THESE FOOLS SHUT DOWN ONE OF THE BUSIEST HIGHWAYS IN THE BAY AREA FOR A SIDESHOW)

[YOUTUBE]5Ic20LTREr8[/YOUTUBE]

exhibit B: highway 880 takeover

[YOUTUBE]Buao419tPps[/YOUTUBE]

exhibit C: dont be out late at night, in areas you shouldnt be in

[YOUTUBE]X5qGVE9ElsI[/YOUTUBE]

living in these areas for me, im aware of my surroundings, and thankfully i have able to avoid the crazys out here

stay safe...

#22 Hyphy Dentist, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  24. Quattro DMD

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, that's a very good point. Plus I've heard the places that offer you free room are like shacks attached to the clinic, or trailers w/ limited amounts of electricity per day. That's why I'm moving back in with my parents for my fourth year (No point in paying for an apt. if I'm not gonna be there!) UCSF is a great school, my old lab partner goes there.....congrats on the the acceptance/decision!

25. BakeNeat

BakeNeat UCSF Class of 2013

Pre-Dental
    Join me at UCSF. =D

26. lafuturedent82

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Are you serious?!? the OP said that his wife ("the woman") is PREGNANT and due in JULY. She's going to be taking care of one kid plus a NEWBORN... you clearly have no idea what you're talking about and I almost feel sorry for whoever ends up with you in the future... you are acting as if she's going to be sitting on the couch eating bon bons! And you seem a little too worried about sounding like a tough guy when really you're sounding pretty unsure of your manhood.... <3 <3

27. Imbetterthanyou

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Dramaqueen, who said anything about her getting a job at this very moment? Not I. Apparently, some women get emotional or deeply resentful when faced with the concept of getting a job.

#26 Imbetterthanyou, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  28. Jessi4eve

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Dude, hiring a nanny to take care of the one, two, three or four year old or even sending the kid to a pre-school in SF + eating food out of home instead of cooking food, besides cutting from many different things the wife can save by staying at home would cost much more than the wife could bring home by getting a job. Go get a life instead of showing off your fake manhood over here. What is an Md/pHD doing on the dental forum by the way?

29. Imbetterthanyou

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Two words...job training. Yes, you're right. People without marketable skills don't have high earning potential. One of the negative aspects of marrying someone with only a face.

30. Jessi4eve

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    What is your point now (Besides being a total jerk on the forum)?

31. Imbetterthanyou

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    There's no point beyond what you suggested. I'm just agreeing with you. Sometimes, a person can't earn enough money because she's not trained in the higher paying fields, so it'll cost less money to be a nanny than to hire one.

32. tissy

U.S. Public Health Service 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I know many students who have chose ASDOH over UCSF :) Several in my class and a handful of upperclassman. Actually one the upperclassman has at least 10 interviews for oral surgery...

33. Imbetterthanyou

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Once you go to school, everybody says everything. Oh, I got a 29 DAT. Oh, I was accepted to such and such school. Verbal accounts of their own records become meaningless. Those friends of yours decided to go to a new school with close to no established reputation while turning down a very established top notch school. On top of that, they're paying many tens of thousands more. So if someone says they chose ASDOH over UCSF, I call BS.

Having one student who's doing really well doesn't surprise anyone. Every school has their 95-99 Part I student. It's not something to consider when choosing a school. You consider the average student, not the best possible scenario.

34. Quattro DMD

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Everyone has their own reasons for choosing their particular school. I really don't understand why you're getting so worked up about it. Have you even been to ASDOH? Have you ever interviewed at a dental school? I know UCSF is a kick-ass school but many people go to the school that makes them feel the most comfortable. So if someone is more comfortable at ASDOH than UCSF then they'll probably go to school there. In the end you still get a DDS/DMD, and patients could care less where you went to school.

35. Imbetterthanyou

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I have no affiliations with either school, but I've visited both. ASDOH has a newer feeling, since it's a brand new institution. But it does feel isolated from everything, since it's just two buildings in the middle of a desert. UCSF feels a bit cramped since the med center's all on one street in a quasi-residential zone.

I'm just calling BS on what I feel are lies. Why would you pay nearly 70k more over 4 years to give up a top notch institute for a newbie school with no rep? Under the "specialty school" reasoning, you go to UCSF by far. Under cheapest school theory, you go to UCSF by far. I guess there's always the "I want to be near my family" theory.

36. Quattro DMD

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just to clarify there's actually 3 1/2 buildings now! :laugh:

37. shoombol tallah

shoombol tallah Big Boy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    UCSF without a doubt. I think its a no brainer. 4 years living in San Francisco beats 4 years of living in east mesa any day of the week. Take it from me I've been living in AZ all my life.

#36 shoombol tallah, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  38. lafuturedent82

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think that this all depends on where you are in your life. If I was younger and single, I wouldn't think twice about living in SF. But at the point I'm at in my life (approaching 30, about to get married, and with a big dog and boyfriend in tow), I would have to think long and hard about choosing to live in such an EXPENSIVE and crowded city over somewhere like Mesa where you can buy a 3bd 2ba house for $150,000. Take it from me, I've been living in Los Angeles for the last 8 years. But that's just my situation so again, it all depends...

39. shoombol tallah

shoombol tallah Big Boy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I guess to each his/her own. I just think four years at a great school in one of the best cities in the country is too good of a life experience to pass up. People forget your gonna be a dentist in four years, you'll make plenty of money to pay off a little bit of extra loans. UCSF is relatively cheap and its not like its USC or anything in regards to tuition. That 150,000 dollar house in AZ is gonna be there regardless, right now now there's a million of them laying around with noone to live in. Btw, if anyone is looking for a 2 bedroom two story lake front condo to buy/rent in the ocotillo area (close to ASDOH) let me know :)

40. Quattro DMD

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What do you consider close? B/C the ocotillo area in Chandler is like 20 miles from ASDOH...LOL

41. shoombol tallah

shoombol tallah Big Boy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    LOl well its east ocotillo right by the san tan 202. Id say its a 15 minute drive from ASDOH :)

42. Quattro DMD

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Oh well that's not bad, especially since the San Tan is rarely crowded. Sorry if I threw salt on your listing!

43. Chip Otle

Pre-Dental
    Hey, I know you wrote this post almost a decade ago, but I'm hoping to find myself in a similar predicament you were in. Our situations are obviously different, but I was wondering how life after dental school from UCSF has been treating you. How's the school to work transition been? Thanks!

44. I-hate-alginate

I-hate-alginate La Dolce Vita

The user your asking was last seen on August 1st 2010, I don't see you getting a response back from him anytime soon. Try to find other users who go/graduated from UCSF and I'm sure you'll find the answers to your questions.

artist2022 likes this.