1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Asdoh

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by PChemGrad, Aug 6, 2006.

1. PChemGrad

PChemGrad I am a banana.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Did anybody else hear about A.T. Still University Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health possibly loosing their accreditation?
    According to the ADA they have an Intent To Withdraw ASDOH accrediation unless they fix their policy.
    Now I'm not sure how this changes my decision to apply to ASDOH, I just hope they keep their accrediation, otherwise it will be a big downfall for the school.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Da Bomb

Da Bomb Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    You really think thats going to happen?!? Interesting story but asdoh will not loose accredidation. Apply...by the time you are invited to interview i am sure it will be worked out.

4. KOM

KOM Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I got more rhymes than the bottle's got songs

5. 54807

54807 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Can anyone else feed the rumor tree?

I was quite impressed with the school, visiting it several times. I wonder what aspect of their curriculum is under review.

I thought the class did just fine on the boards so maybe it has to do with the clinics...

Any ASDOH students hear anything directly from your administration?

6. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I'm pretty sure it's "I got more rhymes then the bibles got psalms" ;)

7. KOM

KOM Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    HAHA. I've been singing that song wrong for a LOOOONG time then. :laugh: :thumbup:

8. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I hate it when I find out that I've been doing that, because usually at that point I like my version of the lyrics better. :D

9. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I just did a thread search and there is an old thread talking about another possible dental school in the Phoenix area and how it is not yet credentialled, possibly accepting students beginning next year. I searched the ADA website, ASDOH website, and a general google search. I found nothing other than the above thread. Short of calling the ADA and asking the credentialling office, I'd like to say ASDOH is doing fine.

10. bwestern

bwestern Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Midwestern University is building a new dental school that i think is supposed to open in 2008. Midwestern is in glendale, az which is pretty much northwest phoenix. so thats probably the school that need to get acredited

11. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    Here's the official scoop:

ASDOH currently has accreditation, as far as a new school can. Full accreditation cannot be granted until a class graduates (which happens in May for us).

There were 2 issues that were not fully reported properly by ASDOH to the Commission on Accreditation, and as a result a letter was generated and sent to the Dean (as well as other national dental officials) stating that unless the issues were fixed, CODA would recommend that accreditation be pulled from ASDOH.

ASDOH has until January to fix these two issues.

As I said, these issues are related to methods of reporting, NOT curriculum issues or anything of that nature. Therefore, in order to be fixed, ASDOH administrators simply need to present documentation to CODA. No policies need to change.

How does this affect current students? It doesn't at all. Anybody who is enrolled at a new dental school with accreditation will have accreditation throughout their four years. No matter what happens those students are graduates of an accredited dental school.

This could, however, affect incoming students if the issues aren't resolved. I don't see any way that the issues won't be, and I speculate they'll be taken care of well before January.

Dem's the facts!