Ashamed in your lack of confidence??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't worry I feel like that about my two best friends. I honestly try to help them like telling them that they should take certain classes because it's a prereq, telling them to join SDN so they can get info & telling them what books I'm purchasing for MCAT prep. However they don't seem motivated. One told me that she didn't want to "compete" for her spot. She's always saying things like "if I get this score on the MCAT then I'll get in". I keep trying to tell her that no one's a shoe in but she doesn't seem to get it. Then my other best friend doesn't like to study. She's convinced that she can get in with just passing. The other day she calls me and tells me that her pre-med advisor said she needs more than C's to be considered by med schools. I said "yea I've been telling you that since freshman year". She goes "yea but I thought you were just neurotic I didn't know you were serious". I don't think I lack confidence or faith in my friends. I do believe that they can accomplish what they want in life. I just wish they were more motivated.

Members don't see this ad.

most already have an intricate well thought plan to boot.......
freshman chem lab convo....
"I premed....yeah, Im pretty sure I want to be a cardiologist and do open heart surgery and stuff like that....and Im shooting for Johns Hopkins...I cant really see myself going anywhere else" (background of crappiest grades in the class and mental breakdowns before every exam)

true story...........................and WABAMMMM!!!!!!! I was skeptical? I must be CRAZY!!!!!!!!!:D

you're not crazy. you just troll those who are.
hope it pays the bills.

I know how you guys feel. Many many times I meet other freshmen who brag about their 4.5 in high school but are doing terrible in their beginner bio and chem classes. I meet alot of those. So it sorta lessens my faith in the incoming pre-med freshmen.

Second of all, I also meet alot of sophomore and juniors who brag about being pre-med. But I know their grades (small school so you know who gets the A's and whatnot) and they can't get into med school for ****. I'm sorry buddy, but ure a junior with a 2.7 gpa with two failed classes that you retook and have no volunteer exp? Aside from the stupid clubs? Lol. If it happens in front of me, I tend to call them out. I ask whats ure gpa and ure ec's, mcats etc. ;p edited out jeeeeez peopleeee

I hate these type of people because they like to brag about their pre-med major and two things will happen. 1) people will admire them for absolutely nothing. 2) people will associate their **** work ethic with the medical profession. Thus they become skeptical of all the pre-meds.

Now when someone asks me what I am, I usually say Im undecided. Sometimes my friends pipe up and say im pre-med. And I get the ooooo's and ahhhs which i find irritating. Then some bitch asks me my gpa, and i usually give it out to validate my "pre-medness" if you know what i mean. I hate giving out my gpa, because I hate to sound elitist. Anyways, end of story is to avoid it and just say undecided and let people judge you as a person, not as a major.

Edit: I used to be worried as to be considered stupid for being *undecided* but in reality, the people that judge you on ure major are worthless. I know tons of these people that look down on other majors cuz it might be not as glamorous or hard. Don't associate with these people, they are immature and childish. end of story!

this is a good troll post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pride comes before the fall. It certainly would be ironic if some of ya'll pre-meds discussing the un/worthiness of your peer, associates & classmates didn't get into medical school yourself. :scared:

Pride comes before the fall. It certainly would be ironic if some of ya'll pre-meds discussing the un/worthiness of your peer, associates & classmates didn't get into medical school yourself. :scared:

I personally think that premeds like the ones we were speaking of are the prideful ones......by the way I adore your southern accent:love:

It's pretty gross reading how a seemingly large proportion of posters in this thread are on some marble pedestal. I was one of those freshmen who ended up with a 3.0 BCPM (3.3 cumulative) and was like "Meh, I'm pre-med." I was lazy and lacking focus plus I found I really liked philosophy courses which I aced while getting B+'s in orgo I/II (i could have done better), a B+ in pchem (tested out of gen chem), and a B- in Calc I. However a personal event slapped me back to reality and made me realize that I really wanted to pursue medicine and needed to stop being so lazy. I ended my sophomore year with a 3.5 BCPM and a 3.6 cumulative. I attest some of this to the fact that I began taking biology courses (my first love) sophomore year, but I also had to deal with physics which I had never been exposed to before (4 pointed both semesters). Please think before writing off those 3.0's because they're not out of the game yet (they still have 3/4 of their college careers ahead of them!!!!).

I personally think that premeds like the ones we were speaking of are the prideful ones......by the way I adore your southern accent:love:

yeah by the same logic, she probably looks like a krispy kreme too

haha, i'm not pre-med. i'm pre-law actually. just supporting my boo. you know how that goes.
:laugh::laugh:

yeah by the same logic, she probably looks like a krispy kreme too

if thats the case then we should introduce her to chubbychaser :D (assuming his name has a literal meaning)

P.S. I love you chubster, if you're out there, no harm intended

Last edited:
You guys honestly NEVER feel this way when a freshman tells you about wanting to be a doctor???? You make me feel like the devil or something

Haha, I feel like that quite often. I'm always nice and supportive though.

There are different paths to enlightenment. And many paths to raising kids and paying the bills and making the spouse pleased with your effort. Medicine is one path, not for everyone, and not more important than tending flowers or raising tomato plants, or teaching small kids how to play soccer, so put your ego in a small box, and bury it in soft dirt, next to your grape vine, and hope you are as healthy and sprout as many green leaves as that grape vine.

It's pretty gross reading how a seemingly large proportion of posters in this thread are on some marble pedestal. I was one of those freshmen who ended up with a 3.0 BCPM (3.3 cumulative) and was like "Meh, I'm pre-med." I was lazy and lacking focus plus I found I really liked philosophy courses which I aced while getting B+'s in orgo I/II (i could have done better), a B+ in pchem (tested out of gen chem), and a B- in Calc I. However a personal event slapped me back to reality and made me realize that I really wanted to pursue medicine and needed to stop being so lazy. I ended my sophomore year with a 3.5 BCPM and a 3.6 cumulative. I attest some of this to the fact that I began taking biology courses (my first love) sophomore year, but I also had to deal with physics which I had never been exposed to before (4 pointed both semesters). Please think before writing off those 3.0's because they're not out of the game yet (they still have 3/4 of their college careers ahead of them!!!!).

You are definitely not out of the game. Actually you are just deciding what game you want to play. Just make sure the game you decide to play is the game you really should be playing. You will get alot of pressure regarding this, but just step back and figure it out if you want to be in the medicine game and make sure you understand the rules of this particular game. As you said, it is just a game, and there are many games. But in the end, it really is not a game. It is not a game at all. But, that said, you have options.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that I could major in "pre-med" until the end of my freshman year. I think undergrad advisers or even high school counselors need to do more to expose the realities of "pre-medicine." But obviously not discourage students from trying.

So many students have their mind set on medicine, and they fail gen chem I, twice. Then what...?:( Some one's gotta help.

It's okay to think that house_vs_god. A lot of people in my gen bio class thought that as well. I'll admit that it DID annoy me but that's because my hs guidance counselor did tell me that there was no such thing as a premed major because there's no such thing as a premed degree. So sitting in gen bio and hearing 24 people say one after the other " hi my name is so and so and I'm from anytown usa and my major is premed" prompted me to say "hi I'm Tamar from anytown usa and I don't know what my major is because I was led to believe by my guidance counselor in HS and the undergrad catalog of this school that there was no such thing as a premed degree. I do however plan to minor in Italian. Uhm yea that's it". Probably wasn't the nicest way of letting them know this. I'm sure I came across as rude but when we went to our next class (we had all our first semester courses together because our school had blocks for the first year to help students transition better) not one person when introducing themselves to the English teacher said that they were a premed major.
Posted via Mobile Device

:( ouch! hahahaha.....

well can we still be friends???:hardy: I like Dunkin Donuts though....sorry

Fixed it for ya. If dunkin donuts had seen how you spelt her name she would've been pissed. That's like calling the wrong girls name out in bed.

I don't know...I just 'recently' (8 months or so ago) decided that I wanted to become a physician. That doesn't mean I am less dedicated to or even at this point less informed about the process of application, competition, etc. It just means that maybe I thought about other things instead of being "ZOMG I WANTED TO BE A DOCTOR SINCE THE MINUTE OF MY CONCEPTION" like so many pre-meds I know. For some reason people give me **** for it. Oh well, that's just one "recently converted" pre-med's opinion.

Last edited:
I'm also a recent pre-med convert. I'm amused that people discount me just because I haven't wanted to be a doctor since I was five. It's particularly amusing because prior to my decision to pursue med school, I was planning on going to pharmacy school. Granted, pharm school is far less "hardcore" than med school admissions, but still, it's not as though I've been slacking off the ONE YEAR I've been in college. I would still have to have a good GPA, good PCAT, good EC's to get into pharm school, etc. but now that I'm pre-med....suddenly it's unattainable and I should think twice. Meanwhile, I go to a private college that has an emphasis on health sciences and I take science classes with a million pre-meds....and I'm kicking all of their butts.

Dang....I'm rambling today.

Anyway, to summarize, my point is that it's rather ridiculous to discount someone solely on the basis that they recently decided to pursue medicine. Now, if you want to lose confidence because they recently decided to be a doctor AND they are hopelessly unmotivated and digging themselves into a hole...then okay, maybe you have a point. But still...judge not lest ye not be judged?

oh honey, i've been slacking off for more than a year. but, it's after i graduated. muhahaha