Ask a Navy dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toothus Rufus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I would start a new thread since it looks like the last one started by a Navy dentist is a few years old. Basic bio: 2000 dental school grad, Navy AEGD, numerous overseas assignments, previously deployed to combat zone for 9 months, appying for Navy endo residency. If you have any questions about the life of a Navy dentist I will be happy to answer them.

Members don't see this ad.

What does officer basic training (exercises, activities) during the summers of dental school consist of?

welcome to SDN, toothus. you might not have noticed, but the 3 sticky threads up top are still fresh and added almost daily. they are nice repositories of the questions and answers from the last couple of years, able to catch at newbie up in a relatively short period of time.

it nice to have another Navy dentist around though. welcome to the party...

for dion: during dental school, you have about three choices. #1 - a temporary active duty assignment to a Navy dental clinic, usually lasting about 40-45 days. #2 - if you dont have enough consecutive days off between years, you can request 'school orders'. this basically means that you have temporary active duty orders to stay at school and be a student. #3 - one of your summer activities is going to be taken up with a trip to Newport, RI for Officer Develpoment School. about 5 weeks long, you begin to learn what it means to be an officer, how to wear the uniform, march in formation, Navy customs and traditions. the difficulty of thos 5 weeks swings like a pendulum. every few years, the officer-in-charge decides to tighten things up and try make the ODS experience more resemble OCS or even boot camp. its not a bad introduction to Navy life...

Members don't see this ad :)
dheav005,

how exactly do you get your AD assignment? I will be at Minnesota and they go year-round, so my orders will be the "school" orders. Is that something I request? How soon before I'd like to start the AD school would I request it? Do I have any say in the dates?

as far as i know, AD school orders are written by the folks administering your scholarship in Bethesda. you just would have to email them and ask when they prefer to prepare annual orders.

just FYI, i waited until i graduated from school to go to ODS, so that it was written into my 'real' orders to my AEGD residency. it meant that i was already an active duty O-3 while at ODS, and when i purchased uniforms, i only had to buy stuff for LT insignias and stripes. kind of a minior thing, but there is some cost involved with upkeep of the uniforms. also, it meant that i reported to my residency with properly sized uniforms, not uniforms that i bought 2-3 years earlier, before boards, exams, and patients. (i may have... ahem... pudged up a bit when my daily attire became nothing but scrubs...)

If you do an AEGD at a marine base (Camp Lejeune or Pendleton), do you stay at the base for two or three years after the AEGD?

I thought it was only two years, then you would do 2 more years of shore duty to finish the 4 years of payback. But I've heard elsewhere that you actually do 3 more years after the AEGD, then 2 more years of shore duty (which would make it FIVE years of payback, which doesn't compute)

It'd be great if you could help clear this up!

Also, could you talk about where you were stationed during your time with the Navy?

as one who has never been over to the green side, i can't really answer how the Navy cuts orders for those who do PGY-1 programs at Marine bases. i do have a couple of friends who went to Pendleton or Okinawa for their programs, then stayed on at the same base for their first operational tour. i am not, however, at all clear on their time frame.

four years in the most that you might ever do for an HPSP/HSCP payback, since that is the kongest length of a scholarship you can get. that fifth year might be necessary if your scholarship contract does not allow for the PGY-1 program to count as a payback year (i am in this boat).

i did my AEGD in Norfolk and have been stationed on an aircraft carrier for 19 months. my two Navy stations have been a huge dental clinic and blue water Navy, very different environments.

If you do an AEGD at a marine base (Camp Lejeune or Pendleton), do you stay at the base for two or three years after the AEGD?

I thought it was only two years, then you would do 2 more years of shore duty to finish the 4 years of payback. But I've heard elsewhere that you actually do 3 more years after the AEGD, then 2 more years of shore duty (which would make it FIVE years of payback, which doesn't compute)

It'd be great if you could help clear this up!

Also, could you talk about where you were stationed during your time with the Navy?

"Camp Pendleton has 5 residents for the upcoming year. All five residents are currently assigned to the "green" side with two year orders - one year in the program and the following year assigned with the operational side of the Fleet Marine Force."

From the Naval Postgraduate Dental School website about the AEGD program at Camp Pendleton...
http://www.bethesda.med.navy.mil/careers/postgraduate_dental_school/AEGD_1_Yr/

Thanks Jim,

I wonder how old that website is, though, because it has Okinawa as an AEGD program when that program's been gone for a couple of years. I'm thinking that the website dates back to when the AEGD counted as one of the four years of payback, so you only had to be operational for one year, whereas now it doesn't so you probably have to be operational for 2 years, followed by two years of shore duty.

Another question: What is the year of AEGD like? Is it pretty intense compared to shore duty? I heard that about twice a month you are on duty during the weekends, Saturday and Sunday: is this true?

Thanks Jim,

I wonder how old that website is, though, because it has Okinawa as an AEGD program when that program's been gone for a couple of years. I'm thinking that the website dates back to when the AEGD counted as one of the four years of payback, so you only had to be operational for one year, whereas now it doesn't so you probably have to be operational for 2 years, followed by two years of shore duty.

Another question: What is the year of AEGD like? Is it pretty intense compared to shore duty? I heard that about twice a month you are on duty during the weekends, Saturday and Sunday: is this true?

If you want to do an AEGD on a Marine base and you want to talk to someone who knows all about the program, then contact Louis De La Garza. He is the program director for the Camp Pendleton AEGD program. He is a great guy who likes to help out. If you want to ask him questions, PM me and I will give you his e-mail address.

As others have said, the AEGD year does not count as payback so the countdown clock on your Navy commitement doesn't start until after that year.

The intensity of your program can vary based upon where you are and who your program director is, but I do not think you will find the routine too strenuous compared to your dental school experience no matter where you go.

The duty schedule is set by the command so that varies as well. In my time in I have never been asked to cover a whole weekend of duty. As a junior officer you usually cover Sunday or Saturday once or twice a month based on the size of your command (number of docs on the watch bill). You spend the day and early evening actually sitting in the clinic treating patients. Most places allow you to assume a "phone watch" in the evening which means you can leave at an appointed hour as long as you can be reached by phone and can return to the clinic in a reasonable amount of time. Other clinics may have a duty room for officers to sleep in over night until they turn over the watch in the morning (I have never been at a clinic that required you to stay over night though I have heard there are some).

As to whether or not you will stay at the same green side base where you do your AEGD that's a bit of a crap shoot. I know folks who have stayed at the same base and gone operational from there and then others who did two tours (operational/ shore) after the AEGD at different bases. Sorry I can't be more specific on that.

I have spent most of my time overseas:
1 year AEGD San Diego
3 years NDC Yokosuka, Japan
2.5 years JC Lisbon, Portugal
2.5 years NHC Great Lakes
9 months Djibouti, Africa

In that time I have worked in large clinics and numerous one-holers. I love traveling so for me it has been great and a large part of the reason I have stayed in.

Last edited:
The payback for your AEGD is four years.

I am sure that you meant this to come across differently, but the way you stated this info is incorrect. There is not a 4 year payback for doing an AEGD. Doing an AEGD is a neutral year on top of your other committment. So, if you have a 4 yr HPSP and you do a 1 yr AEGD, you will have served a minimun of 5 years on active duty when your committment is up (4 yr committment + 1 yr AEGD). If you have a 3 yr HPSP and do a 1 yr AEGD, you will have served a minimum of 4 years on active duty when your committment is up (3 yr committment + 1 yr AEGD).

Thanks for pointing that out Navy DDS 2010. I didn't state that very clearly did I. I will have to punish my intern for not proof-reading my emails properly......

I have edited that previous post so I think it is more coherent now.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
you have an intern!? i just have rather surly corpsmen...

I know that if you have 4 years of payback, you might do 1 year of AEGD/GPR, followed by 2 years operational, then 2 years shore duty. With 3 years of payback, would a 1 year residency be followed by 3 years of being operational?

Last edited:
The operational tour should only be 2 years regardless. Unless you were having so much fun that you decided to extend you would probably move that 3rd year on a new set of 2-3 year orders (depending on your marital status). They also might leave you at the same base and give you a set of non-operational orders. If you decided you still wanted to get out your release from active duty request could go in early that third year (first year at non-operational duty station). My advice: if you do plan on getting out keep the information close to the vest until you are ready to drop your RAD. I have known people who grumbled and gripped and boasted about getting out and got burned (bad assignments, **** details etc.) in the process.

Hi. I'm a fourth year dental student, and I was looking into joining the Navy immediately after graduation. I thought it would be a good experience, but I'm still apprehensive. I have started my application, and my recruiter has been somewhat vague about my commitment. All he's told me so far is that my commitment would be three years, and would involve loan re-payment. I know we have to have a sit-down and talk through things... but what should I be looking for in a contract?
Thank you for your help!

It sounds like your recruiter is being pretty vague either out of ingnorance or perhaps intentionally. You need to find out the name of the program he is trying to recruit you under and then research the details on the web. Just as a start, loan repayment usually falls under the HLPRP. Here is the link: http://www.med.navy.mil/SITES/NAVMEDMPTE/ACCESSIONS/Pages/LoanRepayment.aspx
As for the commitement there are two components: active and inactive reserves. Your commitement will total a minimum of 8 years. Say you sign up for a 3 year active duty commitement: you will spend 3 years actually wearing the uniform as an officer in the USN you will still have 5 years of inactive (or active) reserves after that. Inactive means that for all intents and purposes you are a civilian and free to pursue whatever career options you choose. Active reservists "drill" or work several times per month (usually a whole weekend ) and then 2 weeks out of the year, they are given an salary and some more limited benefits as a result. In either case you can be "recalled" to active duty at any time during those 5 years if you are needed. I have not personally come across any inactive reservists who have been called up but that does not mean it can't happen so you must take this into consideration.

Last edited:
As for the commitement there are two components: active and inactive reserves. Your commitement will total a minimum of 7 years (may have changed in the past few years so double check on that with the recruiter). Say you sign up for a 3 year active duty commitement: you will spend 3 years actually wearing the uniform as an officer in the USN you will still have 4 years of inactive (or active) reserves after that.

Rufus, I have been associated with the military since 1996, but went active duty in 1998. The committment for every military member - all branches and all ranks - since I have been associated with the military has been and still is a minimum of 8 years total active and inactive time. 3 active and 5 inactive; 4 active and 4 inactive; 5 active and 3 inactive; etc. Exact minimum active committment depends on job and contract signed.

As far as inactive service goes, no Navy dentist has ever been recalled to active duty from the IRR involuntarily.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, 8 years, that's why I said double check with the recruiter and most of all read your contract before you sign it. As for no Navy dentist having ever been recalled from the IRR I don't know how you can make that sort of claim unless you are some sort of Navy Dental Corps historian, but so be it. The point of the IRR is that they can recall you if they need to otherwise why have the IRR as part of the contract?

OK, 8 years, that's why I said double check with the recruiter and most of all read your contract before you sign it. As for no Navy dentist having ever been recalled from the IRR I don't know how you can make that sort of claim unless you are some sort of Navy Dental Corps historian, but so be it. The point of the IRR is that they can recall you if they need to otherwise why have the IRR as part of the contract?

Yes, that is why we have the IRR. But, as far as Navy dentists go and the IRR, there would be a whole heck of a lot more things to worry about should you ever get called up to active duty INVOLUNTARILY. If that were to happen, then there most likely would be a World War happening. Now, dentists have been asked to voluntarily go active for certain time frames, but no one has had to go when they did not want to go!!! Yes, it can happen, but I'd bet my pension that no one get called to IRR involuntarily while I am in the military at least. If they did, life is pretty much going to suck in civilian and military life because of a major war going on! I bet they wold re-isntate the draft before they ever called a dentist off the IRR involuntarily.

And as far as you questioning my claim, just because I am not a Navy dentist yet doesn't mean I don't know the right people to talk to about these things. I have been in the military long enough (since 1998) to know how to get the info I want. I asked this question of someone at BUMED a coupe years ago when I had to take a year off from dental school for medical reasons and I had to work at the local recruiting district. This question was asked of me on multiple occassions. When I don't know an answer to a question, I seek out the answer from the powers above our heads. If they don't know the answer, most times they know who to ask.

Thanks for the information! I'll be sure to take a good look at this before things get too far.

DDS 2010 looking through some of your previous posts you seem to have gotten into several of these back and forth heated discussions with others on various inane topics. I'm not playing that game. I'll do my best to answer the questions folks ask on this message board. If you find mistakes in the statements I or others have written there are certainly more polite ways to correct them.

DDS 2010 looking through some of your previous posts you seem to have gotten into several of these back and forth heated discussions with others on various inane topics. I'm not playing that game. I'll do my best to answer the questions folks ask on this message board. If you find mistakes in the statements I or others have written there are certainly more polite ways to correct them.

I would like to second that. While I have always appreciated NAVY DDS 2010's comments, quick responses, and good information, the over-the-top aggressiveness is a bit too much.

First of all, don't be so sensitive. If my intentions were to be less than polite, you'd know it. I don't worry about someone's feelings on a public foum when pointing out errors. I just tell it as I see it.

Next, it was your comment basicaly questioning my knowledge that unless I am some type of a Navy Dental Corps historian the you don't know how I can make such a claim. I do not just blow wind up people's butts to see myself type. I love the military. I DO NOT want to mislead people to trick them into joining. I tell things as I have experienced them, seen them experienced or via info from people I know or higher ups who I trust. Now, if I am ever wrong with info, I welcome people to correct me as no one is going to be always right, but if you come out and make comments like you did expect a less than friendly reply.

I would like to second that. While I have always appreciated NAVY DDS 2010's comments, quick responses, and good information, the over-the-top aggressiveness is a bit too much.

As far as you go, your first post is this comment - get real! Most likely you are a regular member hiding behind a new identity. A comment like that would be taken more seriously if you would have contributed to this site more, but as your first post - whatever. Plus, the only time I am aggressive is when it is reciprocated in some manner. If you feel otherwise, then maybe you need sensitivity training. And yes, I am being a smart a.. now.

the over-the-top aggressiveness is a bit too much.[/QUOTE]</p>
....as evidenced by his last post. Dear DDS 2010, The rest of us have let it go and are moving on now.....

Last edited:
(a) i know snark when i see and (b) since NavyDDS has been around a good long while, i'll preferentially side with him. nonetheless, let us all get back to the answering of the questions of those who might wish to join this great expedition called Navy dentistry. speaking of which:

Hey, did you know that AIRLANT is trying out a CEREC system on several afloat platforms this spring? That is pretty cool...

really sounds interesting and exciting!!! Are interested in going into to private practice or satisfied with remaining in the military???

As others have said, the AEGD year does not count as payback so the countdown clock on your Navy commitement doesn't start until after that year.

The intensity of your program can vary based upon where you are and who your program director is, but I do not think you will find the routine too strenuous compared to your dental school experience no matter where you go.

The duty schedule is set by the command so that varies as well. In my time in I have never been asked to cover a whole weekend of duty. As a junior officer you usually cover Sunday or Saturday once or twice a month based on the size of your command (number of docs on the watch bill). You spend the day and early evening actually sitting in the clinic treating patients. Most places allow you to assume a "phone watch" in the evening which means you can leave at an appointed hour as long as you can be reached by phone and can return to the clinic in a reasonable amount of time. Other clinics may have a duty room for officers to sleep in over night until they turn over the watch in the morning (I have never been at a clinic that required you to stay over night though I have heard there are some).

As to whether or not you will stay at the same green side base where you do your AEGD that's a bit of a crap shoot. I know folks who have stayed at the same base and gone operational from there and then others who did two tours (operational/ shore) after the AEGD at different bases. Sorry I can't be more specific on that.

I have spent most of my time overseas:
1 year AEGD San Diego
3 years NDC Yokosuka, Japan
2.5 years JC Lisbon, Portugal
2.5 years NHC Great Lakes
9 months Djibouti, Africa

In that time I have worked in large clinics and numerous one-holers. I love traveling so for me it has been great and a large part of the reason I have stayed in.

im currently applying for the navy hsps program and ive been doing as much research as i can to decide if this is what i want to do.
i read that if i do the program, once i graduate i have to work 4 years as a navy dentist and then 4 years on reserve. my first question is, is the pay for these four years 65-70k per year, or how exactly does your salary work out?
in addition, do they allow moonlighting?i would love to work an extra saturday if possible to make a little more money and get some exposure to the business and insurance aspect of dentistry. thank you for your help.

sharksurfer. I would say the average pay is around $65K, but that doesn't include the $10K ASP bonus. You could pocket more money depending on where you are stationed. In Great Lakes my rent was less than the BAH (housing allowance) and I saved about $400 a month. In San Diego, I'm spending more than my BAH for rent. As far as moonlighting goes, the only personnel I have know to moonlight were senior officers and I'm not sure about regulations.

really sounds interesting and exciting!!! Are interested in going into to private practice or satisfied with remaining in the military???

The thing to remember is that at some point we will all be heading into private practice. In my case if I stay in for 20 I will only be 46 when I "retire" from the military. At that point with the average retirement age being what it is I will still have another 20 year career ahead of me before I truly retire.

All that is to say I would like to specialize and if the Navy can get me the specialty I want I will likely stay for 20 if not.........

Hey Toothus Rufus,
I was wondering how much your weight matters upon commissioning. I am scheduled to commission 4.1.2010. At physical I was at 173 and I am 5'6". However, now I am 182 and the limit is 175. I am really worried about my extra weight and am trying hard to eat well and exercise but school and research is just killing me. Anyways, I was wondering if you can give me some feedback about the weight. Is it something that can prevent my commission?

Hey Toothus Rufus,
I was wondering how much your weight matters upon commissioning. I am scheduled to commission 4.1.2010. At physical I was at 173 and I am 5'6". However, now I am 182 and the limit is 175. I am really worried about my extra weight and am trying hard to eat well and exercise but school and research is just killing me. Anyways, I was wondering if you can give me some feedback about the weight. Is it something that can prevent my commission?

The term we use in the military is "out of standards". If you are already in a program and will enter active duty after graduation then the first time it will become an issue is when you take your first PFA (fitness test). If you haven't gone to ODS then you will get weighed there and have to take a PFA (if it is still like it was when I went 10 years ago).

You may be a little over weight but still within standards if your body composition analysis (taped measurement of your abdomen, and neck) is within limits. Ideally if you can loose the weight it will make your life easier. In the weeks before the weigh-ins for the PFA it not uncommon to see folks running around in rubber suits, cutting carbs etc. to loose pounds. If you are truly out of standards you will initially be placed in FEP (fitness enhancement program) or the like i.e. forced excercise at a time of your command's choosing so you can loose weight. Being out of standards can certainly sink your career over the course of time, but once you are out of school you will have plenty of time to workout so hopefully it won't be an issue.

Last edited:
I was wondering how difficult it is to specialize in ortho with the Navy and also how I would go about entering an ortho residency? This will play a big role in my decision between the Army and Navy HPSP.

I was wondering how difficult it is to specialize in ortho with the Navy and also how I would go about entering an ortho residency? This will play a big role in my decision between the Army and Navy HPSP.

In the Navy I would say the two most competitive programs to get into are ortho and endo. I still think your chances of getting accepted in the Navy are better than as a civilian because you are competing against a smaller app pool. Hopefully someone who has applied for ortho will chime in but I believe the ortho program takes 1 in-service and 1-2 out-service residents each year (don't quote me on that). The applications are usually due at the begining of May and included the standard stuff (transcripts, board scores, personal statement, 3 letters of rec.) and the results usually come out in June or July. Out service means once you are accepted by the Navy you still have to match with a civilian program but the common belief is that schools look more favorably on those who have the backing of the USN (especially those with former Navy officers teaching at them) but for ortho especially you still have to have the numbers to back up your app. I can't really speak to the actual acceptance rates for ortho; there are some older threads that touch on that as well as other good info about ortho in the Army and Navy.

Last edited:
Thank you! I did hear something similar to that. And have also heard that they grant the ortho residencies on a need basis. I do know that the Army has 3 each year and about 15 that apply each year which is a very good number compared to civilian residences. At MUSC this year there were 4 spots available and 220 applied! If the Navy even has 1 or 2 then that would still be better. I do like the lifestyle of the Navy better tho!

Just found out by my recruiter that I was selected for the Navy HSPS... I"m very excited about this.. anyone else got the good news ?..??

I think mine was sent out in January after being accepted in Dec. what about yoU?........

I started the process on 1 Dec, with the complete package submitted 16 Feb (MEPS was the big slowdown when they searched through my military medical record). I'm pretty sure all the 4 year scholarships are gone for this fiscal year, though, so I think I will have to wait until the next fiscal year starts.

Toothus,

I want to apply to the Navy OMFS program straight out of school (by the way Im a 4 year HPSP student) and wondering when this process starts. I am in 2nd semester of 3rd year right now. Where do I apply??? Is there a website, paperwork?? I understand I should probably know more than I do about the military but my current contacts (recruiter) are not reliable. I also know I have a slim to none shot of getting in right away but I figured it would be worth the try. Thanks.

Toothus,

I want to apply to the Navy OMFS program straight out of school (by the way Im a 4 year HPSP student) and wondering when this process starts. I am in 2nd semester of 3rd year right now. Where do I apply??? Is there a website, paperwork?? I understand I should probably know more than I do about the military but my current contacts (recruiter) are not reliable. I also know I have a slim to none shot of getting in right away but I figured it would be worth the try. Thanks.

The applications are out now for programs starting summer 2011. They usually come out in January of the year preceding and are due on 1 May. Here is the link: http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/E...%202010%29.pdf . In your case it might be best to contact CAPT Andrew Peters (contact info in the application packet) and ask him some specific questions about applying straight out of school. He can also put you in touch with the OMFS specialty leader. It would be a good idea to contact the specialty leader so he can be on the look out for your package and give you good guidance on whether they will look at your app this early or some things you can do to make your app stand out. I know they used to prefer that OMFS applicants have completed a GPR before applying but the specialty leader will give you the real gouge. Good luck!

Last edited:
Whom ever may know the answer;

I had applied for the Navy HPSP and I was told by my recruiter this past week that I had been approved by the board. :) Although, she did mention that it did not guarantee my being awarded the scholarship. I failed to ask her, but what other hurdles exist? she mentioned it may be as late as July before being finalized.

I know these question are specific to my case....will probably have to get in tough with my recruiter.

Whom ever may know the answer;

I had applied for the Navy HPSP and I was told by my recruiter this past week that I had been approved by the board. :) Although, she did mention that it did not guarantee my being awarded the scholarship. I failed to ask her, but what other hurdles exist? she mentioned it may be as late as July before being finalized.

I know these question are specific to my case....will probably have to get in tough with my recruiter.

what exactly do you mean?. .. i found out by my recruiter that i was also selected for the 4 yr hpsp and i should hve a contract to sign by second week of march.. so are you saying i might not get it?.. dont scare me pleaseee

what exactly do you mean?. .. i found out by my recruiter that i was also selected for the 4 yr hpsp and i should hve a contract to sign by second week of march.. so are you saying i might not get it?.. dont scare me pleaseee

So don't jump to any conclusions....but my recruiter has been very honest with me and simply mentioned that there might be one or more requirements before they can sign off on the offer. Don't get me wrong I think the board was the hardest part, (so congrats to us) but if i am not mistaken by what she said there are some factors left to be decided.

also dentalmon this may be specific to my application and have nothing to do with you or it may be that we are now on a waitlist of sorts and they are making sure they have enough offers to extend. either way congrats and good luck

So don't jump to any conclusions....but my recruiter has been very honest with me and simply mentioned that there might be one or more requirements before they can sign off on the offer. Don't get me wrong I think the board was the hardest part, (so congrats to us) but if i am not mistaken by what she said there are some factors left to be decided.

also dentalmon this may be specific to my application and have nothing to do with you or it may be that we are now on a waitlist of sorts and they are making sure they have enough offers to extend. either way congrats and good luck

so it is not safe to say we are accepted yet?.. I already told the whole world............ greatt....

when you say might be one or more requirements.... what would those be?.. I remember my recruiter mentioned that too.. but she said I would be fine............ .. omg.. now i'm totally freaking out again