Ask an Army Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Considering MDSSP. Unsure about the specifics of when BOLC/DCC is required to be done. It it required to be done three years after MDSSP starts or after you are done with dental school. There is some language in AR saying it must be done 36 months max from MDDSP. However there is another language saying if you take STRAP(stipend program in dental school) the requirement is two (or three) years after residency. Thing is if you did MDSSP D1 how could you get to residency without doing the BOLC/DCC?

so is BOLC/DCC required 36months after acceptance of MDSSP or 36months after graduation of dental school. Same rules for national guard?

Members don't see this ad.

what is the rank when you are a new dentist serving 4 year payback from hpsp? what do you get paid - base pay with specialty pay etc. thanks!

Endo was pretty competitive this year, and perio is moderately competitive historically. They are ALWAYS going to factor in your grades and GPA when they rank you amongst your competitors for the program---but that's just it---it is all about who your competing against. And your chances obviously get harder if more people decide to apply that year (For example, take 2017 vs 2018 Endo then look at the same years for Ortho!)That's not to say the person with the highest grades will always get it. It's a cumulative score when they look at the overall person/application. If you are on an HPSP scholarship and do the Army AEGD right after school, you'll expand your Army network and rapport within the Army education program so your letters of recommendation may be stronger as well. If you are applying right out of school and everyone else has done the AEGD and has a few more years of experience, unless your grades really outshine the competition, you may not have enough other factors to rank higher than them (military experience, assignments, extracurricular involvement, etc.). It looks good to the board when you can say, with experience, I've understood the different specialties and after my AEGD or GPR I really fell in love with this one. But that doesn't necessarily need to happen. Your letters of recommendation and statement of motivation are very important as well. I know this is a vague answer but there are so many variables.

I've attached the historical data for residency acceptances.
Hi, do you by any chance have an updated version of this graphic or know where I can find that info?

Members don't see this ad :)
Endo was pretty competitive this year, and perio is moderately competitive historically. They are ALWAYS going to factor in your grades and GPA when they rank you amongst your competitors for the program---but that's just it---it is all about who your competing against. And your chances obviously get harder if more people decide to apply that year (For example, take 2017 vs 2018 Endo then look at the same years for Ortho!)That's not to say the person with the highest grades will always get it. It's a cumulative score when they look at the overall person/application. If you are on an HPSP scholarship and do the Army AEGD right after school, you'll expand your Army network and rapport within the Army education program so your letters of recommendation may be stronger as well. If you are applying right out of school and everyone else has done the AEGD and has a few more years of experience, unless your grades really outshine the competition, you may not have enough other factors to rank higher than them (military experience, assignments, extracurricular involvement, etc.). It looks good to the board when you can say, with experience, I've understood the different specialties and after my AEGD or GPR I really fell in love with this one. But that doesn't necessarily need to happen. Your letters of recommendation and statement of motivation are very important as well. I know this is a vague answer but there are so many variables.

I've attached the historical data for residency acceptances.
Hi, do you have a more updated version of this graphic or know where I can find that info? Thanks!

Hi, Im going to be joining through direct commission after I graduate this May, does anyone know when we should find out our first duty stations? And before then, I heard we are supposed to be given a list of the dental bases to rank based on our preference. When should I receive this list? Thanks

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, looking for some insight. I was awarded the 4 year HPSP for the Army, but also applied to the Navy. With that said, my hesitation with the Army is being put in the middle of nowhere for four years. The captain I spoke to mentioned the AIM portal in hopes of receiving your preferred location. Has anyone had any success or experience with the AIM portal? IF so, could you please share?!