Ask an OMFS resident anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

$0 since I'm in med school.

The salary when I'm back on service is around $48,000 for a PGY-1. They generally increase that every year (To match inflation), as well as advance your paygrade about $2000 a year for each PGY level you advance. The highest we go at Parkland is PGY-4 though (They don't count our med school years)
 
COunt me in for Cook County. Anything you want to know except for what happens in our call room.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also that UCSF link had me laughing on this one:

"They had to learn quickly to deal with life-and-death scenarios. They reported being held to “unreasonable expectations” in terms of knowledge and preparation (e.g. being expected to know how to perform a CT scan and having to “wing it”), and being afraid to call on their superiors for help"

They have techs for that...maybe to read one? But 'winging' a CT scan read doesn't sound like life and death to me.
 
What is the hardest operation you've had to perform?

Two come to mind

Resection of 4cm section of the body of the mandible that decided to develop ORN 10 years after radiation. It also decided that it wanted to become purulent on top of the ORN.

10 years ago the patient had a resection of the angle on the same side along with a radical neck and resection of the pharynx I think...anyway, the scar tissue didn't help, the infection didn't help.

It was the last case and our hand piece decided to quit. We went to old school mallet and chisel and did the entire resection with out any modern man made marvels.

The second case may come as a shock, but it was actually an impacted third molar that was deep in the ramus. Sometimes those cases make you sweat. The guy spoke no english and the hand piece I was using wasn't of the highest quality. Paresthesia only lasted for four months 😀👍
 
What is the hardest operation you've had to perform?

Again, in med school so most of these will be pretty unimpressive. I had to dig 3rd molar roots out of a patient and was 90% sure I severed the IA with my bur. Immediately afterward the patient had a 4 hour long epic ketamine emergence nightmare. Never came back for followup though, so I guess I didn't cut it after all 👍.

Also, suturing a hug lac on a 2 year old. Not difficult procedurally, but pretty stressful. In our childrens ER they have anesthesiologists on call to deliver anesthesia, and this one was going to give me TWO doses of ketamine. No more, no less. After the kid started rousing from the first one, he just dumped the second dose, said "Good luck" and walked away. Never sutured faster in my life.
 
Last edited:
Also that UCSF link had me laughing on this one:

"They had to learn quickly to deal with life-and-death scenarios. They reported being held to “unreasonable expectations” in terms of knowledge and preparation (e.g. being expected to know how to perform a CT scan and having to “wing it”), and being afraid to call on their superiors for help"

They have techs for that...maybe to read one? But 'winging' a CT scan read doesn't sound like life and death to me.

Yeah there's no way they'd even let a resident touch their multi-million dollar CT scanner. And 'improvising' a CT read? The worst you could do is just reading what the radiologist wrote.
 
do you see omfs becoming simultaneously recognized as a medical and dental specialty by the acgme and coda, respectively? seeing as there are more and more going into omfs whose first degree was an MD?
 
Yeah there's no way they'd even let a resident touch their multi-million dollar CT scanner. And 'improvising' a CT read? The worst you could do is just reading what the radiologist wrote.

Which you should be careful of...sometimes they get it wrong!
 
do you see omfs becoming simultaneously recognized as a medical and dental specialty by the acgme and coda, respectively? seeing as there are more and more going into omfs whose first degree was an MD?

I am not sure which medical organization is the one who officially recognizes specialties, but if it is the AMA, then NO.

With this said, I don't think OMFS should push for dual recognition. We are a dental specialty which makes us unique. Because we are governed by the ADA and it's entities, we don't fall under the scrupulous government oversight that our MD counterparts unfortunately have to.
 
Sometimes is generous, but I did say that's the worst you could do in that situation. Plus it's commonly misunderstood that radiologists are doctors, where in fact they are lawyers who dabble in photography.

This literally made me laugh out loud. It will be the the first thing I tell our Oral Radiologist... after I tell him that he won the silent auction I entered him into for the signed Justin Bieber plaque at the Arizona Dental Convention (fact) 😎
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sometimes is generous, but I did say that's the worst you could do in that situation. Plus it's commonly misunderstood that radiologists are doctors, where in fact they are lawyers who dabble in photography.

Ha! Very true. Sometimes we get reads of fx's that aren't even there.

Do you have time to exercise in residency?

My forearms get a good work out...from pulling teeth. Almost gave away the call room secrets.

If you make time for it, yes. Wake up 1/2 hour early to run a couple miles, or when you are not on call and can get out of the hospital at a decent hour, then yes. There is the occasional weekend off as well. Some hospitals I interviewed at had a gym inside them. I am sure Parkland has one somewhere at the 17 hospitals they cover 🙂 At county...well taxpayers don't want to pay for a gym. I bought a treadmill.
 
Hey armorshell,

I'm wondering--how much do undergrad grades have to do with getting into OMFS (if your stats from undergrad aren't that good)? Does it matter between the 4 and 6 year programs?
 
I am not sure which medical organization is the one who officially recognizes specialties, but if it is the AMA, then NO.

With this said, I don't think OMFS should push for dual recognition. We are a dental specialty which makes us unique. Because we are governed by the ADA and it's entities, we don't fall under the scrupulous government oversight that our MD counterparts unfortunately have to.

So you're saying that you don't think OMFS will push for dual recognition? What makes you have an opinion one way or the other? I'm uninformed and curious. 😀
 
Hey armorshell,

I'm wondering--how much do undergrad grades have to do with getting into OMFS (if your stats from undergrad aren't that good)? Does it matter between the 4 and 6 year programs?

4 year programs I don't think any of them care. 6 year programs, most of them don't care. I didn't have an excellent undergraduate record (but I had a strong dental school record) and it didn't really hold me back from getting interviews, even at places people assumed undergrad record would be very important (Any of several top 20 med school associated programs).
 
4 year programs I don't think any of them care. 6 year programs, most of them don't care. I didn't have an excellent undergraduate record (but I had a strong dental school record) and it didn't really hold me back from getting interviews, even at places people assumed undergrad record would be very important (Any of several top 20 med school associated programs).

Good to know! I feel like I'm working very hard right now, and I don't want my past mistakes to hold me back from anything I may or may not want to do in the future. Thanks!
 
Armorshell,

I'm getting ready to apply to dental school in June and I'm set on OMFS after that. I've shadowed oral surgeons and I have a brother finishing up his last year of OMFS at Parkalnd, so I've done a fair amount of research and love it.

Anyways, I noticed you went to UOP and I was wondering what you thought about the program with regards to OMFS afterwards. Would you do it over again or would you go elsewhere to position yourself better for placing in a residency?

Did you consider the Highland program at UOP at all, or were you set on a 6 year residency program?

Coming out of UOP, is it typically easier for UOP graduates to place at Highland's OMFS than graduates from other programs? are they a little"biased"?
 
Hey Armor Shell,

When they say they'll look for candidates with good extracurriculars what exactly are they looking for? Do they want community service? class leadership positions? or just being active outside of dental school?

Thanks
 
Hey Armor Shell,

When they say they'll look for candidates with good extracurriculars what exactly are they looking for? Do they want community service? class leadership positions? or just being active outside of dental school?

Thanks

Extracurriculars is anything outside of normal class and clinic. Clubs, honor societies, sports teams (was flag football on my OMFS app? YES!), outreach, service, etc. Anything that says you are not a boring dental student and you do things EXTRA - CURRICULUM
 
Extracurriculars is anything outside of normal class and clinic. Clubs, honor societies, sports teams (was flag football on my OMFS app? YES!), outreach, service, etc. Anything that says you are not a boring dental student and you do things EXTRA - CURRICULUM

Yeah, absolutely agree. However, I wouldn't focus on ECs in light of the main things that get you in: GPA, rank and standardized test scores.