Technology Ask any computer tech support question here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Munchkin6245 said:
everytime i start my laptop i get a bunch (about 15) different .EXE application errors that somthing has failed to be located. It started happening after I got rid of a lot of programs in my add/remove programs thing. I think i erased something impt but everything i normally use works fine
i just keep getting these errors...what do u think?? send it into Dell service?
Use a registry cleaner. Search for "registry cleaner" on http://www.download.com and find something for your operating system. That should fix most if not all of these errors.

Members don't see this ad.

Yogi Bear said:
hey, i have mandrake 10 now. one thing though....seems like the fonts are a bit too small. how do i get a font that looks like xp on my 1024x768 (or something like that) 15" laptop screen? the font w/in kde looks fuzzy...like xp's Cleartype (which i hate).

also, i tried installing GAIM and find this error:

The following packages have bad signatures:
/home/----/Desktop/gaim-0.79-0mdk10.0.i586.rpm: Invalid signature ((SHA1) DSA sha1 md5 (GPG) (MISSING KEY) GPG#4c292fcc NOT OK)

Should I continue?

also, i didn't install the firewall during intial installation. how do i do it now?

any other good programs i should get? i tried firefox and the "find" option doesn't work as well as the download option. usine konqueror on kde now.

thx.
I havent really used Mandrake man. I've never used Gaim either. I guess your Gaim error could be due to a corrupted package. Try downloading it again and see if it works.

Sorry that I couldnt be of help there :)

TheWingThing said:
It's the same. "My Documents" is just an alias for user's documents, and they both point to the same place. They are not copied twice. So, better be careful when you delete things from one place or the other.

Thank you!!!!

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yogi Bear said:
hey, i have mandrake 10 now. one thing though....seems like the fonts are a bit too small. how do i get a font that looks like xp on my 1024x768 (or something like that) 15" laptop screen? the font w/in kde looks fuzzy...like xp's Cleartype (which i hate).

also, i tried installing GAIM and find this error:

The following packages have bad signatures:
/home/----/Desktop/gaim-0.79-0mdk10.0.i586.rpm: Invalid signature ((SHA1) DSA sha1 md5 (GPG) (MISSING KEY) GPG#4c292fcc NOT OK)

Should I continue?

also, i didn't install the firewall during intial installation. how do i do it now?

any other good programs i should get? i tried firefox and the "find" option doesn't work as well as the download option. usine konqueror on kde now.

thx.
I actually installed Mandrake 10 on my office computer, and it had Gaim installed by default (I selected a lot of packages, so it's not surprising). See what dependencies it asks, and I think you can get them from the Mandrake installation CDs.

I still think your package had a download error, try downloading it again.

I find the option to configure the firewall yesterday while playing with it. I'll check it again and post it Friday. What Window manager do you use? KDE?

Hi.

Are either of these optical drives (for my thin/light notebook) good?:

1. Integrated 10xmin/24max CD ROM drive
2. Integrated 24x/24x/24x CD-RW /8x DVD

If so, which one is better?

hi

everytime i try to open up piics.. all i see is a square with a red x in the top left corner.. whats the deal with that???????? for example, when i open up the top 3 reasons brunettes are great thread I dont see the pics that they post all i see is a square with a red x in the top left corner.. WHat is the problem?? is it with IE or my computer itself.. I have 386 of ram

gioia said:
Hi.

Are either of these optical drives (for my thin/light notebook) good?:

1. Integrated 10xmin/24max CD ROM drive
2. Integrated 24x/24x/24x CD-RW /8x DVD

If so, which one is better?

Depends on what generation you are talking about. First gen. CD-R/RW + DVD drives had some serious mechanical problems that were worked out in future revisions. If you are talking about recent hardware, then it really depends on what you need it for/how much you want to pay. If you want to be able to watch DVD movies on your computer, then the CD-R/RW + DVD drive is a better option, but you will typically pay more. If you don't think you need this functionality, then you can just get the CD-R/RW drive. I don't believe there is any appreciable difference in weight between the two.

Justin4563 said:
hi

everytime i try to open up piics.. all i see is a square with a red x in the top left corner.. whats the deal with that???????? for example, when i open up the top 3 reasons brunettes are great thread I dont see the pics that they post all i see is a square with a red x in the top left corner.. WHat is the problem?? is it with IE or my computer itself.. I have 386 of ram

Sounds like your IE is either misconfigured or damaged. Best thing to do would be to right-click the IE icon on your desktop, go down the list and click "Properties." This will bring up a series of menus. Go to the last tab labeled "Advanced" and click the button at the bottom labeled "Restore Defaults." If this doesn't fix the problem, it is most likely some kind of damage to IE itself and needs a more in-depth diagnosis/more information to solve.

I recently found the wonders of Outlook - was using web-based email before I saw the light. However I just graduated from college which uses an SMTP address for sending and recieving mail. With that I can send and recieve mail via outlook (funny how that works...)

anyways, i got my new information on email from my new school and they are on an IMAP system, leaving email on the web-based server, while at the same time downloading them to my computer.

I set up the IMAP in outlook (2000, by the way) so now i am receiving mail from both accounts.

however, i cannot send mail with the IMAP account - this is the error i get: Error: 250 Help... or something like that... it says to send using smtp so i tried that as my server (smtp.university.edu) and i also tried imap.university.edu but both didnt work... i was wondering why this happened.

also when i try to delete mail from my imap, all that happens in outlook is a line goes through it and it still stays there. i just got confused.

TheWingThing said:
I actually installed Mandrake 10 on my office computer, and it had Gaim installed by default (I selected a lot of packages, so it's not surprising). See what dependencies it asks, and I think you can get them from the Mandrake installation CDs.

I still think your package had a download error, try downloading it again.

I find the option to configure the firewall yesterday while playing with it. I'll check it again and post it Friday. What Window manager do you use? KDE?

i ended up getting it to work. one thing i notice is the fonts in gaim are jagged compared to some of the other fonts on the computer (i.e. compare it to kopete--the other chatting program). i'm using kde. u find the same thing? what do u do at work that requires linux for?

I have a poweful computer that seems to boot-up more slowly than it should. I also know that the number of programs set to run when the computer is starting can slow down the process.

How can I adjust the number of programs that run during start-up? This is not to be confused with the start menu, which is the only thing I can find info on when I do a search.

Thank you so much.........

Members don't see this ad :)
4bf65.ilxt.info

My IE hijack takes me there. Anyone know how to get rid of this? :confused:

1. Get adaware & spybot. Run them. If things aren't fixed, save important data to another location, then use any image restore CD's that came with your PC. This will return it to factory new state.

2. Download Mozilla's Firefox and don't use IE for the time being. It has a gaping hackerhole and simply is not safe.

dtreese said:
1. Get adaware & spybot. Run them. If things aren't fixed, save important data to another location, then use any image restore CD's that came with your PC. This will return it to factory new state.

2. Download Mozilla's Firefox and don't use IE for the time being. It has a gaping hackerhole and simply is not safe.

Spybot wants me to enter in a password to remove stuff. I have adaware and it finds stuff but didn't solve the problem. I also have hijackthis and it comes up with a list, but I don't know what to delete (what are system files vs spy settings).

I'm using Firefox now. It's a pleasure to use. :thumbup:

fruit fly said:
Spybot wants me to enter in a password to remove stuff. I have adaware and it finds stuff but didn't solve the problem. I also have hijackthis and it comes up with a list, but I don't know what to delete (what are system files vs spy settings).

I'm using Firefox now. It's a pleasure to use. :thumbup:
Download Spybot from somewhere else. It should be completely free to use (w/ no passwords) but a lot of people try to make money off it.

gwyn779 said:
Download Spybot from somewhere else. It should be completely free to use (w/ no passwords) but a lot of people try to make money off it.

Wait, I ran it. It worked. It came up with DoubleClick, Advertising.com, Avenue A Inc., DSO Exploit. All fixed it says. But for some reason, as in the past, I think it may still be on my comp. Yep, it is. :(

I ran it again and it still comes up with DSO Exploit, which I believe is a data source exploit.

suck it up and do an image restore. It'll make your computer run better, anyway.

dtreese said:
suck it up and do an image restore. It'll make your computer run better, anyway.

How does one do that?

I want to add more memory to my Dell 8100 dimension.....where can I get memory for cheap..rdram

I want to set up wireless networking at our house... my two roommates and I all have laptops, and we'd like to have a wireless b or b/g router for the house. At the same time, we wanna be able to do wireless printing (i.e. laptop in the bedroom, printer in the study room, no wires but the printer responds to the laptop anyways). So, here's the deal:

1) Which router should I get? (something fast, hopefully is also a print server).

2) I wanted to get an all-in-one printer (copies/scans/prints, leaning towards Epson CX6400). However, I heard that multifunctional printers don't work with print servers? Do you know of one that DOES work?

3) Should I get a router, then connect a separate print server to it?

4) Can I have a bluetooth adapter connected to that particular printer instead? Would that make life much easier?

Thanks!

gioia said:
I have a poweful computer that seems to boot-up more slowly than it should. I also know that the number of programs set to run when the computer is starting can slow down the process.

How can I adjust the number of programs that run during start-up? This is not to be confused with the start menu, which is the only thing I can find info on when I do a search.

Thank you so much.........

http://www.download.com/Startup-Control-Panel/3000-2094-1539340.html?tag=lst-0-1

Here's an annoying problem that I had that is now recurring...

Whenever Outlook checks for mail, it displays the taskbar icon of the envelope with the magnifying glass (like it normally does when it sends/receives an actual email message that's there). The icon disappears and there is no mail.

It does that everytime I check mail. I'm still getting mail, but I'm wondering if (a) I have a worm or (b) I'm missing mail.

I have Norton Internet Security installed, and I never receive the Norton symbol where it is scanning email.

It did this a few weeks ago and then stopped without me doing anything. I first noticed it not doing this anymore when I opened Outlook and found like 50 email messages BEFORE it checked for email (it was like they were piled up in the program -- many of them from weeks ago).

Nevermind, I found what the problem was. One of the websites I maintain seems to be causing the problem. Outlook isn't downloading mail from the server for some reason. It attempts to download it, then locks up. After I read/deleted the email with Webmail, it no longer shows the envelope with the magnifying glass when I send/receive (unless I'm getting a real message). Now how to fix the pop server on the website... hmmm... Oh well, not at 1:30 am!

Hmm, this is new:

When I tell my computer to Shut Down (Win XP Pro), it restarts. All my Windows Power settings and BIOS settings are the same as they were before I reinstalled Windows (last weekend).

I dunno what the deal is.

--------------EDIT-----
I searched the Microsoft Knowlege Base. Turns out Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.0 doesn't like Windows XP, so I uninstalled it. Problem solved.

For Firefox users who want super-ad-blocking capabilities, go to http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=10&vid=215&category=

and install Adblock 0.5.2+

then, go to: http://aasted.org/adblock/viewtopic.php?t=284&sid=ec0ba42ac9629b3a9fed95c2a4670546

and copy the quoted code from the second post and past it into a text file and save on ur desktop

then click Tools-->Adblock-->Preferences-->Adblock options-->Import Filters and select the textfile u just created.

No more ads/popups after this.

gioia said:

You don't even need to download any program.
Just click on START, click on RUN, type in MSCONFIG, press on the startup tab, and click on whatever program you don't want to run the next time you startup.

Not really computer technical question:...but...
I am thinking of purchasing an ipod-mini. I was wondering what ppl in here think of it. Have you had good luck with it? Is it easily windows and mac compatible or just mac? I was told that it is windows compatible, but am not sure how the program would work in windows.

Thanks.

kaikai128 said:
Not really computer technical question:...but...
I am thinking of purchasing an ipod-mini. I was wondering what ppl in here think of it. Have you had good luck with it? Is it easily windows and mac compatible or just mac? I was told that it is windows compatible, but am not sure how the program would work in windows.

Thanks.
No problem - you can download iTunes for Windows.

...however, do make sure that your computer has a Firewire port. If not, then you'll need to buy a special iPod connector (brand new iPods already have them) that connects to your USB port to allow songs to transfer from your computer to your iPod.

HELP! I can't stay signed on to AIM at all. I don't know what it is. I don't see a disturbance in my internet connection ... I odn't know what it is. Its annoying and yes it is stupid, but it resets every hour or so other times I will be on for like 5-6 hrs at time. Previously I was able to go days at a time no problem, but recently ... I have this problem. Any suggestions? I don't know what would have started this!!!

mshheaddoc said:
HELP! I can't stay signed on to AIM at all. I don't know what it is. I don't see a disturbance in my internet connection ... I odn't know what it is. Its annoying and yes it is stupid, but it resets every hour or so other times I will be on for like 5-6 hrs at time. Previously I was able to go days at a time no problem, but recently ... I have this problem. Any suggestions? I don't know what would have started this!!!
I used to get that all the time. There were times when I could stay on for like 10 days and times when it would kick me off every hour.

My solution: Uninstall AIM. That's how I solved my problem. :p

Possible side effects: more free time, better health, better sleep, and higher GPA. :D

Dallenoff said:
I used to get that all the time. There were times when I could stay on for like 10 days and times when it would kick me off every hour.

My solution: Uninstall AIM. That's how I solved my problem. :p

Possible side effects: more free time, better health, better sleep, and higher GPA. :D

Dal - that isn't an option :( ;)

mshheaddoc said:
Dal - that isn't an option :( ;)

try an aim replacement like GAIM. gaim.sourceforge.net.

Dropped my laptop and now sound doesn't work.
Is this something that would be fixable, or will I have to buy a new laptop?
Would it be expensive to fix? Is it possible the fall couldve jarred something loose; should I risk crackin it open to see (note: not tech savvy)?

Thanx for your advice

So I have a calendar file made on MS Word and I want to know how to convert that so that I could upload the calendar into my Palm OS so all the dates and times are on my Palm calendar. I think technically I'm askin for a way to convert MS word to .dba but I might be wrong.

Anybody have any idea!?

i believe palm has software, Documents to GO, that will convert windows formatted files to palm compatible format once you hotsync it.

Leche said:
Dropped my laptop and now sound doesn't work.
Is this something that would be fixable, or will I have to buy a new laptop?
Would it be expensive to fix? Is it possible the fall couldve jarred something loose; should I risk crackin it open to see (note: not tech savvy)?

Thanx for your advice

If the sound is the only thing not working on your laptop, you definitely don't need a new laptop. ;) Laptops are really hard to open up and work with, esp. if you're not tech savvy. Is it still under warranty? Call tech support?

I'm assuming you didn't change any settings and the only thing that caused the sound to stop working was you dropping it.

Good luck!

(Summary: No, you don't need a new laptop! :) )

LifeLongPassion said:
So I have a calendar file made on MS Word and I want to know how to convert that so that I could upload the calendar into my Palm OS so all the dates and times are on my Palm calendar. I think technically I'm askin for a way to convert MS word to .dba but I might be wrong.

Anybody have any idea!?

That's complicated. The only way to sync your stuff with the Palm calendar is to either use:

1) Palm Desktop software (You'd have to go back and manually enter in all the dates)
2) MS Outlook (again, manually enter in all the dates)

I dunno what kind of calendar you made in MS Word, but I don't think it would be easy to convert a Word document to Outlook dates...

This is what I do:

I use Palm Desktop on my computer and enter in all my appointments, meetings, dates, events, etc. I have all my contacts, To Do's, and memos on that. I then simply keep that in sync with my Palm. It may sound like a pain to enter in all your stuff from MS Word to Palm Desktop (on the computer), but you'll only have to do it once.

I don't know if there's an automatic (read: easy and fast) way to do this.

Dallenoff said:
That's complicated. The only way to sync your stuff with the Palm calendar is to either use:

1) Palm Desktop software (You'd have to go back and manually enter in all the dates)
2) MS Outlook (again, manually enter in all the dates)

I dunno what kind of calendar you made in MS Word, but I don't think it would be easy to convert a Word document to Outlook dates...

This is what I do:

I use Palm Desktop on my computer and enter in all my appointments, meetings, dates, events, etc. I have all my contacts, To Do's, and memos on that. I then simply keep that in sync with my Palm. It may sound like a pain to enter in all your stuff from MS Word to Palm Desktop (on the computer), but you'll only have to do it once.

I don't know if there's an automatic (read: easy and fast) way to do this.

Is there a way to get your Outlook 2000 to your Palm? I can't figure it out :(

Yogi Bear said:
try an aim replacement like GAIM. gaim.sourceforge.net.

In reference to GAIM .... security concerns? Seems like GAIM is for advanced users ? Did some research on it and there are alot of "plugins" which I have no idea what they are talking about.

Any plugins anyone refer or protection of security?

Alright.. I have a 200gb western digital that runs through an ultra ATA controller card to overcome the 137gb limitation of windows.. for some reason, it needs to be the master drive.. i don't know how to get around this because I need to use the controller card to use the drive.. this is a problem because the boot sector is messed up so i can't access any of my files.. i have another drive (20gb) that i am using as a master going directly to my motherboard...

any suggestions on how to get the files off the 200gb drive? i have about 140gb that i can't really afford to lose...

thanks in advance..
-u4ia

U4iA said:
Alright.. I have a 200gb western digital that runs through an ultra ATA controller card to overcome the 137gb limitation of windows.. for some reason, it needs to be the master drive.. i don't know how to get around this because I need to use the controller card to use the drive.. this is a problem because the boot sector is messed up so i can't access any of my files.. i have another drive (20gb) that i am using as a master going directly to my motherboard...

any suggestions on how to get the files off the 200gb drive? i have about 140gb that i can't really afford to lose...

thanks in advance..
-u4ia

Which version of windows are you running?

mshheaddoc said:
In reference to GAIM .... security concerns? Seems like GAIM is for advanced users ? Did some research on it and there are alot of "plugins" which I have no idea what they are talking about.

Any plugins anyone refer or protection of security?

it should run fine w/o the plugins. try it out.

U4iA said:

thanks in advance..
-u4ia
Does it have jumpers on the back of the drive? They're tiny plastic "covers" that cover 2 pins to close a circuit. You can set a drive to be Master, Slave, or Cable-Select (I think).

There should definitely be a way to set up your new 200 GB drive as Slave, then transfer all your stuff, then if you need to, you can set it as Master.

I don't know what you have hooked up to your Ultra ATA controller card, but you can actually have both as Master if you want to use 2 cables:

Primary
Master: Old drive
Slave:

Secondary
Master: New drive
Slave: