Ask Doctor Strange anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
While I do find Emma to be a vastly interesting character (especially since I started reading Generation X), Jean Grey will always be very near and dear to my heart. I actually shed tears at the end of the Dark Phoenix Saga and when Jean reappeared again in X-Factor.

On a side note, Emma is another character that Bendis sucks at writing.

You have to read the Joss Whedon run of Astonishing X-Men. It's brilliant and does some good with Miss Frost.

Bendis' stuff from the Ultimate line was pretty good. Well his Spiderman stuff at least.

Members don't see this ad.

You have to read the Joss Whedon run of Astonishing X-Men. It's brilliant and does some good with Miss Frost.

Bendis' stuff from the Ultimate line was pretty good. Well his Spiderman stuff at least.

His Ultimate Spider-Man is his best and only good work, imo. I have heard good things about Whedon's run on Astonishing, so I'm looking forward to getting there.

How did you develop your great writing skills?

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you develop your great writing skills?

I think my particular writing style evolved from a love of RPG video games. Growing up, I was a fan of Final Fantasy, Pokemon, The Legend of Zelda, and several other games that exposed me to some higher level narration and writing styles. These games are also rich in vocabulary that I tried to incorporate into my writing assignments in elementary school. Through middle and high school, games like Final Fantasy X and the Xenosaga trilogy really got me into fantasy and sci-fi-type novels, which are also inherently filled with some very unique writing styles. I think most of my writing is quite dramatic and vivid, which is an imitation of the literature I grew up with.

Creative writing has always been a hobby that I enjoy doing. Nowadays, I don't really have the time to sit down and write poetry and short stories like I used to, but I do have a blog (in my signature if you're interested), that I like to update weekly.

Is there a Doctor Up? Down? Top? Bottom? Charm?

Descriptively, how did you personally feel when Disney acquired Marvel?

Descriptively, how did you personally feel when Disney acquired Marvel?

x-men-rogue-o.gif

Whoa, explains a bunch. I remember watching that cartoon along with Animaniacs. sigh.... Childhood memories.

Although, tbh, I do like the movies that Marvel Studios has released lately. It seems like Disney has sort of a hands off approach so far.

EDIT: All hell will break loose, though, if they muck up the Doctor Strange movie. Strongly worded letters will be written.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although, tbh, I do like the movies that Marvel Studios has released lately. It seems like Disney has sort of a hands off approach so far.

EDIT: All hell will break loose, though, if they muck up the Doctor Strange movie. Strongly worded letters will be written.
For the most part.

Any preferred actors and actresses in mind so far?

I think my particular writing style evolved from a love of RPG video games. Growing up, I was a fan of Final Fantasy, Pokemon, The Legend of Zelda, and several other games that exposed me to some higher level narration and writing styles.

This is really great practice for getting writing off the ground! Back in the day when I played Morrowind, I wrote character journals and POVs for some of the NPCs for practice. Down the road I ended up doing the same for a few other games; finding what I liked and didn't like helped shape a narrative voice that carries over into original stuff nowadays when I find time to write.

RPGs are a great cure for writer's block, partly because they provide a visual medium to help proliferate ideas. It's like a composer putting out work through a ballet rather than an orchestra alone. I mean, it's not as 'sophisticated' as that, but I think the principle's there. So while not everyone can put ideas into visual media like that, it's fun to play off of it. Heck, that's why I played Dungeons & Doofuses in high school! Incidentally, some of Final Fantasy was written by people essentially writing characters in the same fashion as they would for a tabletop game like that.

Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle?

For the most part.

Any preferred actors and actresses in mind so far?

I think my ideal casting for Stephen Strange would be Joseph Fiennes. Not only does he have the look, but he's also a trained stage actor, which would be a nice fit for how Strange is portrayed in the comics.

As far as other casting choices that Marvel has made, here are a few of my thoughts...

- Halle Berry as Storm was the single worst decision that was ever made in Marvel movie history.
- Scarlet Johansson wasn't horrible for Black Widow, but my preferred casting choice would have been Olivia Wilde
- Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye was a mistake. Ryan Reynolds more closely matches the Hawkeye I envision from the comics.
- January Jones as Emma Frost... Ugh...

This makes no sense to me, and I'm ok with that. Original 151 4 lyfe.

:p

Basically, some of the old Pokemon are getting "upgraded" versions of themselves that can be used optionally.

Silent, that just made it all the more sweeter when you beat them. Especially with the 1st gym, where nothing was effective. At least with the 2nd gym, I had Pikachu and Charmeleon :D

This may be too early to tell, but how well do you believe your major has helped you so far in med school?

What's the most significant piece of advice do you have for current medschool applicants?

Can you give me a brief summary of what you study in your major? It sounds interesting.

Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

You just lost your #1 fan, doc.

I BELIEVED IN YOU!!!

@knux,
lololololol

Yeah, I never really got into Star Wars or Star Trek or any of the space-related franchises...

With the first gym being a rock type and second being a water type? Lol. Squirtle all day errday.

Where's your sense of challenge and adventure?

This may be too early to tell, but how well do you believe your major has helped you so far in med school?

Well, I think. Insofar as the fact that I've at least seen a lot of the material we're covering now in anatomy is helpful. One of the lectures we had very briefly dealt with some very basic principles of toxicology and pharmacology, and I got very excited because it was stuff that I actually knew very well.

Talking to upper years, it would appear to me that the pharmacology and some of the pathophysiology I covered in undergrad is up to par with what they teach in medical school. It's just a matter of me seeing the material again, freshening up on it, and expanding on it further. Needless to say, I cannot wait to get to physiology, pathology, and pharmacology. Those are the things I've been studying for the past four years in undergrad anyway.

One final note to make is that I think I have a better perspective on what we're learning because of my major. I've already gotten to the point where I understand some disease etiology and drugs treatments, and that helps me see the bigger picture in "why" we're learning what we're learning. It also comes in handy when doctors start throwing out drug names or diseases during lecture or shadowing; I'm not completely clueless.

What's the most significant piece of advice do you have for current medschool applicants?

It's hard, but try not to stress out too much about the process; you'll end up burning out very quickly. It's best to enter this process (and especially interviews) with a calm and focused mind. During the periods of waiting, don't check your inbox every five minutes. Live your life, focus on school, and have some fun. Applying to med school doesn't mean you have to be a hermit for a year.

Can you give me a brief summary of what you study in your major? It sounds interesting.

Pharmacology and Toxicology is a program that very schools in the US have. I would say that the end-game of the major is to produce competent bench/clinical researchers for pharmaceutical companies and other labs. The program runs parallel to the PharmD program at my school, so I took all my major classes with pharmacy students (e.g., prereqs, anatomy, physiology, immunology, pharmacology, etc.). In some classes, half of the class was also composed of grad students.

The difference in the programs starts at around third year where the PharmDs begin focusing more on clinical things (e.g., dosing, in-depth drug interactions) while my major switched into more of a research-oriented program. We had labs where we were exposed to all kinds of standard lab techniques like working with mice/rats, cell culture, blots, ELISA, you-name-it and we probably did it. We also had upper level science courses that dealt with a more in-depth look at target organ pathophysiology and toxicology.

Here's a list of some of the upper-level courses I took:
- Biochemistry
- Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Principles and Applications of Immunology
- Physiology I, II
- Techniques in Pharmacology/Toxicology
- Biochemical Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Toxicology I and II
- Principles of Medicinal Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology
- Biomethods in Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Pharmacology

tl;dr, I learned about drugs and how they can kill you.

How do you feel about DC comics?

How do you feel about DC comics?

I don't have anything against DC comics, I just haven't found any characters that draw me into DC as much as Marvel. I've read the Watchmen series along with the more recent Before Watchmen books and, for the most part, loved them. I've also dabbled in some Teen Titans and Deathstroke solo books, but there wasn't anything that really interested me profoundly.

That being said, I did very much enjoy the recent Batman and Man of Steel movies.

Your MDapp looks amazing. What kept you from applying to more top schools?

Your MDapp looks amazing. What kept you from applying to more top schools?

My MCAT. To be quite honest, my content review for the MCAT was not what it should have been, hence by BS and PS scores. Sometimes I regret not taking MCAT studying more seriously, but eh... I can't complain.

For congress to approve launching an attack on Syria or not? :whistle:

I think it's the right thing to do. Standing up for what's right and not turning our backs on people that are being attacked with biochemical weapons seems like a good thing. Whether it's the practical thing to do is a whole other issue, and I'm conflicted on that front.

How good is your ground game?

Taking chem next semester, hard teacher (from what I hear), huge class size of 300+. Any tips? Must use websites/books?

Taking chem next semester, hard teacher (from what I hear), huge class size of 300+. Any tips? Must use websites/books?

Do practice problems. Find back tests if they exist. Don't be afraid to get a tutor.

I'm kind of horrible at giving advice about doing well in prereqs... They were kind of a joke for me.

Do practice problems. Find back tests if they exist. Don't be afraid to get a tutor.

I'm kind of horrible at giving advice about doing well in prereqs... They were kind of a joke for me.

Thanks, a lot of my pre-reqs are kind of coming off to me as "yes, this is obvious" too, but I am not getting cocky. Chemistry just kind of irks me due to it being the science I have the least experience with. Thanks for the advice.