Ask Doctor Strange anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Strange

Sorcerer Supreme
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme. Welcome to my Sanctum Sanctorum.

BsVNa.gif

This is a combination of me being bored and liking to give whatever I advice I can to people. As always, take anyone's advice on SDN with a grain of salt, but I like to offer whatever insight I can, because, quite frankly, I like talking about myself.

Married, gay, Asian-American male in the Class of 2017 at an allopathic school in Philadelphia. For more background, check out my MDApps. Internal medicine.

Ask anything and everything. I might not be willing to answer some things, but, hey, give it a shot anyway... I'm also available by PM.

May the Vishanti smile on you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Why don't you look at me when we make love any more?

Reactions: 18 users
How did you prepare for your interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you look at me when we make love any more?

Is that what you're calling it?

How did you prepare for your interviews?

I had a general framework for all the "standard" questions (e.g., Why doctor? Why medicine?) that I allowed to be flexible and vary slightly from school to school depending on the things that each individual institution emphasized. I wasn't making things up, I just chose to emphasize and highlight different aspects of my answers depending on the situation.

You can usually elucidate what the school's about by browsing the website a little. Things to consider that people sometimes overlook are location, safety, cost, etc. These are completely valid reasons to supplement a "why this school?" question.

I consider myself pretty competent at interviewing, so other than looking up school information the night before, my preparation was minimal. Try to keep yourself calm and relaxed, and don't let other nervous students rattle you that day. An interview for medical school is a conversation. From my experience, no interviewer is out to get you or stump you with some grand philosophical question. If you are caught off guard, don't be afraid to pause and think before giving an answer. A simple "that's a good question, let me take a minute to think about that" is completely acceptable.

Lastly, smile. Have a positive demeanor. Have a firm handshake. Treat everyone you meet that day with respect. It goes a long way. Good luck!

Coke or Pepsi?

Rottenecards_27551029_55wct8ct5p.png

Reactions: 5 users
Are you natty?

Reactions: 1 users
Beer of choice? And if you're not a beer man, drink of choice?

If you could only give one piece of advice for someone starting to study for the MCAT, what would it be?

If you could meet any person, alive or dead, who would it be?

What kinds of Ec's did you do as an undergrad?

Who's the character in your avatar?

Do you read manga?

What specialty are you leaning toward? (If any)

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you natty?

I don't even know what that means.

Beer of choice? And if you're not a beer man, drink of choice?

If you could only give one piece of advice for someone starting to study for the MCAT, what would it be?

If you could meet any person, alive or dead, who would it be?

1. Not a huge beer drinker, but I do enjoy a Corona or occasional Yuengling. Whiskey on the rocks is my real drink of choice. I'm a fan of a Canadian brand called Collingwood.

2. Learn when you need to take a break when studying. I usually cannot study for longer than an hour or two before I need to just do something else for fifteen to twenty minutes.

3. Hugh Jackman.

What kinds of Ec's did you do as an undergrad?

You can check my MDApps for more info, but I was on the executive board of our Pre-Medical Society for three years and actively participated. I also took part in a mentoring program, did some clinical research for a summer, volunteered at hospitals and such here and there... You know... The typical sort of stuff.

where do you find all your gifs?

Honestly, I just use Google and Tumblr to find gifs from my favorite movie/TV shows/celebrities that express the feeling I want to convey.

so are you at jefferson now

Indeed.

Who's the character in your avatar?

Do you read manga?

The character in my avatar is the Marvel superhero Doctor Strange. That specific image is taken from Doctor Strange Vol. 2 #79.

I'm not a huge manga reader. I currently follow Gantz and Bleach, which are both coming to an end. I am, however, a HUGE reader of comic books (Marvel). Doctor Strange and X-Men are my favorites. I've actually gone back and followed Doctor Strange from his first appearance in the 60s to his current incarnation in modern times. I'm currently doing the same with the X-Men; I started in the 60s and am reading my way through the 90s currently. Witch Doctor from Image Comics is also an excellent series. I, of course, have also read and loved Watchmen from DC.

why do you consider yourself strange?

In many ways, yes, I do consider myself strange. Not socially awkward or anything but strange nonetheless. I am kind of a big comic book nerd and have somewhat of a different outlook on life than I think most people have. Much of my moral upbringing had to do with things like watching the X-Men and Spider-Man animated cartoons growing up.

What specialty are you leaning toward? (If any)

As of now, cardiology is what I'm leaning towards.

Last edited:
Yes, why Pink Berry in Lower Manhattan?

It's actually not the Pink Berry; there's an apartment building right next to it. 177A Bleecker Street is the fictional address of Doctor Strange in the comic books. One of the creative team members on the Doctor Strange story back in the 60s used to live at the address and suggested it to be the location of Strange's house; obviously is stuck.

See: http://devldesign.blogspot.com/2011/09/by-vishanti-its-dr-stranges-sanctum.html

Storm v. Doctor Strange, what are the outcomes?

It's actually not the Pink Berry; there's an apartment building right next to it. 177A Bleecker Street is the fictional address of Doctor Strange in the comic books. One of the creative team members on the Doctor Strange story back in the 60s used to live at the address and suggested it to be the location of Strange's house; obviously is stuck.

See: http://devldesign.blogspot.com/2011/09/by-vishanti-its-dr-stranges-sanctum.html

Ahh, yeah I see it now. What kind of cardiology are you favoring at the moment?

Ahh, yeah I see it now. What kind of cardiology are you favoring at the moment?

As of now, I'm thinking of just doing a regular cardiovascular disease fellowship after an IM residency. Electrophysiology might be something I'm interested in later down the road...

Who really knows, though? I might change my mind once I start rotations and stuff in the future. I'm keeping an open mind.

Strange curb stomps.

Storm is strong, but the Doc has taken down much stronger in his day. He could easily take advantage of Storm's claustrophobia and shut her down by putting her in a ball using the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak.

What is this madness, Storm would just suck the oxygen away from Dr Strange and render his magic casting abilities useless. You probably haven't gotten there yet, but there is an Avengers Vs X-Men event that happens....

What is this madness, Storm would just suck the oxygen away from Dr Strange and render his magic casting abilities useless. You probably haven't gotten there yet, but there is an Avengers Vs X-Men event that happens....

AvX is Bendis, and Bendis has no idea what he is doing with Doctor Strange and most other characters he decides to toy with. Even in the event that Storm sucks the oxygen away from Strange, he can still go into his astral form and cast spells from there while his Cloak carries his body to safety.

AvX is Bendis, and Bendis has no idea what he is doing with Doctor Strange and most other characters he decides to toy with. Even in the event that Storm sucks the oxygen away from Strange, he can still go into his astral form and cast spells from there while his Cloak carries his body to safety.

Oh snap. This has been thought out well.

Also, glad to see coke is the only real answer.

Also, I like talking about myself too.

Also, ...that is all. Must food then anatomy.

What is the meaning of life?

Don't worry, Stark and T'Challa will definitely pay Strange an unwelcoming visit while he is blissfully enjoying his beauty sleep whilst lucidly recapping in a fist-pump manner of what he did to Storm. :hungover:

What advice could you give to an international student that intends to apply to us med schools that just started his/her undergrad?

What advice could you give to an international student that intends to apply to us med schools that just started his/her undergrad?

I'm not an international student nor do I know any, so I can't really give any advice.

Nevertheless, keep your grades top-notch, do some quality ECs, and score well on the MCAT. Good luck.

why medicine tho?

I am profoundly impressed by how far we have come in terms of being able to treat disease. I am interested in the human body. I like working with people, giving advice, and feeling like I'm making a difference in a person's life.

Medicine also offers job security and decent pay.

Do you even lift?

Not even a little.

Fav comic book story/ event?

Fav comic book story/ event?

Doctor Strange Vol. 2 #55 by Roger Stern and penciled by Michael Golden is my single favorite comic book issue of all time. My favorite story arc is the Dark Phoenix Saga.

"Jean Grey could have lived to become a god, but it was more important to her that she died as a human."

Doctor Strange Vol. 2 #55 by Roger Stern and penciled by Michael Golden is my single favorite comic book issue of all time. My favorite story arc is the Dark Phoenix Saga.

"Jean Grey could have lived to become a god, but it was more important to her that she died as a human."

Dark Phoenix Saga is brilliant. Every other Phoenix story pales in comparison. The tv show's take on the arc is great too.

what's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

1. Not a huge beer drinker, but I do enjoy a Corona or occasional Yuengling. Whiskey on the rocks is my real drink of choice. I'm a fan of a Canadian brand called Collingwood.

2. Learn when you need to take a break when studying. I usually cannot study for longer than an hour or two before I need to just do something else for fifteen to twenty minutes.

3. Hugh Jackman.

You can check my MDApps for more info, but I was on the executive board of our Pre-Medical Society for three years and actively participated. I also took part in a mentoring program, did some clinical research for a summer, volunteered at hospitals and such here and there... You know... The typical sort of stuff.

Honestly, I just use Google and Tumblr to find gifs from my favorite movie/TV shows/celebrities that express the feeling I want to convey.

Indeed.

The character in my avatar is the Marvel superhero Doctor Strange. That specific image is taken from Doctor Strange Vol. 2 #79.

I'm not a huge manga reader. I currently follow Gantz and Bleach, which are both coming to an end. I am, however, a HUGE reader of comic books (Marvel). Doctor Strange and X-Men are my favorites. I've actually gone back and followed Doctor Strange from his first appearance in the 60s to his current incarnation in modern times. I'm currently doing the same with the X-Men; I started in the 60s and am reading my way through the 90s currently. Witch Doctor from Image Comics is also an excellent series. I, of course, have also read and loved Watchmen from DC.

In many ways, yes, I do consider myself strange. Not socially awkward or anything but strange nonetheless. I am kind of a big comic book nerd and have somewhat of a different outlook on life than I think most people have. Much of my moral upbringing had to do with things like watching the X-Men and Spider-Man animated cartoons growing up.

As of now, cardiology is what I'm leaning towards.

I think i take too many of these breaks :(

Please explain....

I think i take too many of these breaks :(

Please explain....

It sounds really silly, but a lot of what I believe in and how I carry myself has to do with comic books. Most people would find this pretty juvenile, but I think that the stories within these comic books (and other forms of fictional literature) carry extremely powerful messages that I was influenced by as a child. I'm very emotionally invested in a lot of these characters, even more so than I am in some real people that I know. A lot of my feelings about morality, good/evil, equality, and the human spirit have to do with the things written about Captain America, the X-Men, and Doctor Strange.

When I was a kid, I wanted to grow up to be a superhero. Hell, I still want to grow up to be a superhero. A little part of me is still hoping that I get bit by a radioactive animal or manifest mutant powers or something else weird like that. Superhero or not, I try to live my life to those standards.

So yeah... Strange.

Strange! I miss you :(

How did you prepare for the MCAT? Also, did you go to lectures in undergrad? And lastly, do you know any combined IM/Cards programs? :naughty:

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

How did you answer "What will you bring to our school?" I struggled with this one because I wasn't sure whether they wanted me to talk about actual skills I have that may benefit the school (I did X, Y, Z), or whether I should talk about my personality. My morals, values, etc. What did you say?

Does it bother you that Doctor Strange isn't top tier in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3?

Strange! I miss you :(

How did you prepare for the MCAT? Also, did you go to lectures in undergrad? And lastly, do you know any combined IM/Cards programs? :naughty:

1. My prep for the MCAT was a little weird. I took the MCAT in May of my junior year, and my prep technically started at the start of the winter break before that. For the month of winter break, I studied pretty consistently for 2-3 hours a day, reading through ExamKrackers. Once winter break was over, I studied less frequently. The schedule turned into maybe an hour or two every other day and then either two hours of study on the weekends or a practice exam. My practice exams went pretty well (32-37s), so throughout the process I felt pretty confident and slacked severely near the end. Ended up with a 32 on the real thing. I'm sure I could have scored higher if I had actually tried studying harder, but I'm pretty content with how it all went down.

2. My undergrad had recorded lectures, and I tried doing the not going to class thing. It worked pretty well, but I eventually ended up going to all lectures by the time junior and senior year came around. Mostly so that the professors knew my faces and so I could see my friends (I commuted).

3. I do not know of any combined IM/cards programs. Admittedly, I haven't done any research on it much yet, because it's so far into the future...

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

The egg. It's only logical.

How did you answer "What will you bring to our school?" I struggled with this one because I wasn't sure whether they wanted me to talk about actual skills I have that may benefit the school (I did X, Y, Z), or whether I should talk about my personality. My morals, values, etc. What did you say?

I went more towards the morals/values route. My parents are immigrants who work blue collar jobs. I grew up in a less-than-affluent environment, though my parents were able to work their asses off to ensure that we ended up in the middle class. I used that as the crux of my "diversity" and "what do you bring" essays.

I think it's more beneficial to go to the morals route, as those are more transferable to patient interactions. Sprinkling in some unique research and other skills gained from jobs/clubs/hobbies and such doesn't hurt. A second or third language is also a good thing to add.

Does it bother you that Doctor Strange isn't top tier in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3?

Not at all. When it comes to fighting games, I usually don't choose characters based on tiers but rather who I like. Likewise, I'm a fan of players that stick with characters they like using rather than switching teams because of who's top tier and such. As of late, a lot of people have picked up Zero, which is a tad bit annoying. On the other end of the spectrum, Justin Wong stuck it out with his Wolvie/Storm/Akuma team for Evo and came very close to snagging the title. That's the kind of player I respect. Coincidentally enough, I've heard that Justin is picking up Strange as an alt, so that should be interesting...

Jean Grey or Emma Frost?

Jean Grey or Emma Frost?

While I do find Emma to be a vastly interesting character (especially since I started reading Generation X), Jean Grey will always be very near and dear to my heart. I actually shed tears at the end of the Dark Phoenix Saga and when Jean reappeared again in X-Factor.

On a side note, Emma is another character that Bendis sucks at writing.