Ask for advices (New here...)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

singsing0n99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear old/new members,

Hi, I am a new member in the forum, I don't know if those questions are asked , but please bear with me. I am an international student from Mt Sac who wants to be a vet. Actually I am confused about how to be a vet. Here are my questions:

How long does it take to be a vet? Is it true that everyone requires 7-9 years to be a vet(in average)? And if it is true that I need to take 7-9 years to be a vet, what other ways can I shorten the years?

And where can I get animal experience ? (I had ask an animal clinic but the doctor refused my request for being a volunteer.)

So what other vet schools will you guys prefer except UC Davis?

And then.. here is the last question :

May I ask the salary of a vet nurse? How much will it start per month? I had hear lots of news that being a vet nurse/vet tech having a low salary, which stops me from being a vet nurse. (It is not because I don't like animals but as an international student, the tax and the extra high cost of courses aren't worth for working this out.)

I am sorry for asking too many questions, but thanks for reading, hope to see your replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, welcome to SDN. :)

I'd recommend the search function on this forum for many of your questions. There are a lot of threads about how to gain experience and how best to approach clinics to ask for shadowing opportunities. If I were you, I would get some shadowing under your belt before you decide to pursue this career. It's certainly not for everyone, so I would make sure this is what you want before you move forward.

Members don't see this ad :)
TooLove,

I did search on the forum but I thought asking people directly is better(okay just my wired thought) anyway thanks for your reply

Bernsters83,

That's what I am worried about, and because I am an international student, the clinic rejected my request. The vet told me to join the human Society or join some programme that allow me to have the animal experience in the clinic. So I guess that's what I left to do now.

While I would still recommend going to more than one clinic and asking for volunteer opportunities with them, it also wouldn't hurt (it would actually help a lot) to volunteer in other animal-related places like animal shelters, animal rescue organizations, research labs, animal sanctuaries, etc. Even trying to get a position as a kennel staff in an animal hospital may be easier once they see you have some prior animal experience under your belt.

And about your veterinary technician question, I believe I've seen a forum or two somewhere on this site that could do a good job answering that for you. I want to say I saw a number out there that certified veterinary technicians make on average $25,000-$30,000 per year in the U.S.? But don't hold me to that figure... haha.

hpequalslove,

:) Thanks for the reply. Actually I do not know why vet tech has low salary even though they study many subjects and pay high costs for the courses.The less outcome of the position makes less people join the programme, which a cause why the programme is vansihed in Hong Kong.(just my opinion)