ask for your wise advice for a newbie pharmacy student

May 31, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hello everyone:

I am going to start pharmacy school soon. May you guys give me your advice that other than studying, what a pharmacy student should do in the school to make her prepared for her future job? What things do you think are important to know or to do during the school time?

thanks

Last edited:

drugdoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hello everyone:

I am going to start pharmacy school soon. May you guys give me your advices that other than studying, what a pharmacy student should do in the school to make her prepared for her future job? What things do you think are important to know or to do during the school time?

thanks
Side note: advice is correct, not advices

Apteka

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
ditto what drugdoc said.

Having a good grasp of English is a very, very, good start.

CK8652

PUDDING!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Status
My post was at least cheeky and fun, ya'll are just being jackasses

Aznfarmerboi

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2005
Status
Pharmacist
Hello everyone:

I am going to start pharmacy school soon. May you guys give me your advices that other than studying, what a pharmacy student should do in the school to make her prepared for her future job? What things do you think are important to know or to do during the school time?

thanks
Be humble and outgoing. Get a job in a retail and hospital setting. Attend any company outreach events or community events. Be involve politically in the state and federal level concerning pharmacy. Think of pharmacy school not as a school but the start of your professional career!

Congratulations and welcome to the profession! Best of luck.

fiorio

10+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
find a good mentor, get to more students in p2 p3 p4 years, build connections, you may end up working with them in the future, pharmacy is a small world.
shadow pharmacists in different fields, explore all the options, find out what area interests you the most.
if you want to do clinical job in the future, considering residency. to get a residency u need relatively good grades, leadership roles, volunteer services, and all kinds of activities that make you stand out, research, teaching etc.
and have fun!:)

Quiksilver

Secundum Artem PharmD
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Status
Pharmacist
Be humble and outgoing. Get a job in a retail and hospital setting. Attend any company outreach events or community events. Be involve politically in the state and federal level concerning pharmacy. Think of pharmacy school not as a school but the start of your professional career!

:thumbup:

and don't give up. get good grades.

and most importantly, have fun and spend time relaxing.

May 31, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student

Thank you so much, I appreciate your help.

May 31, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
find a good mentor, get to more students in p2 p3 p4 years, build connections, you may end up working with them in the future, pharmacy is a small world.
shadow pharmacists in different fields, explore all the options, find out what area interests you the most.
if you want to do clinical job in the future, considering residency. to get a residency u need relatively good grades, leadership roles, volunteer services, and all kinds of activities that make you stand out, research, teaching etc.
and have fun!:)
Thank you so much. I appreciate your help.

May 31, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
ditto what drugdoc said.

Having a good grasp of English is a very, very, good start.

Sure, I edited my post. English is my second language, your comments help me to correct my mistakes.

PumpkinSmasher

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
Give me your nice advices!

May 31, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student

Can you explain more about community events? What kind of events are good to take part?

PumpkinSmasher

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
I advise you not to take PumpkinSmasher too seriously. ;)
I agree. All in good fun!

To the OP...seek out unique opportunities with your faculty. Hospital and retail internships are a great way to get experience but do not forget to seek out those unique experiences with faculty.

Now let us smash some pumpkins!

PumpkinSmasher

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
Can you explain more about community events? What kind of events are good to take part?
Most schools will have students participate in outreach events, e.g. blood pressure screenings, brown bags, glucose screenings, asthma awareness, antibiotic education, poison education, osteoporosis awareness, and etc.

These are great ways to get involved and are usually a fun time. Setting up a brown bag once a month may be something you find enjoyable once you are further along in school.

pharmgirl2440

5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Does anyone have any specific advice on how to pass/do well in all of your classes? Specific study or time management tips would be appreciated.

diastole

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Where the sun don't shine
Status
Pharmacist
Does anyone have any specific advice on how to pass/do well in all of your classes? Specific study or time management tips would be appreciated.
Don't cram. If you study everyday, it will stick in your head better and take off some of the pressure before your exams. And go to class. Make friends that don't mind helping you out if you do decide to skip class or you don't understand a concept.

There really is no big secret. Just find the study method that works for you and follow through.