Ask Me Anything!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
King Chris...why the hell do u want people to ask u questions....i just want people to not ask me questions:cool:

Haha, well in all honesty I am truly blessed to be in the position that I'm in. and I feel that its my duty more or less to help other nervous predents since I was once one who got help from so many others.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! King Chris!
First of all, thanks for helping everyone out man.
well, my question is.. I am currently a freshmen..going to be a sophomore soon. well anyways, i applied for this research..and it's about viticulture (wine), since I am currently a viticulture major and love wine.. so i was just wondering if d-schools will appreciate and value any sort of research, or do they value more on research for biology and stuff.

thanks!

Hi! King Chris!
First of all, thanks for helping everyone out man.
well, my question is.. I am currently a freshmen..going to be a sophomore soon. well anyways, i applied for this research..and it's about viticulture (wine), since I am currently a viticulture major and love wine.. so i was just wondering if d-schools will appreciate and value any sort of research, or do they value more on research for biology and stuff.

thanks!

That's very interesting, I don't think I know anyone who is a viticulture major! I think dental schools will value anyone who takes the time to further enhance his/her education through research. They get a lot of applicants who majored in biology and did biology research, it might even be refreshing to see someone with such a different major such as yourself.

Applicants who have done research are not viewed as smarter applicant necessarily,but rather viewed as people who value their education and strive to go above and beyond the curiculum to learn more about their interest, and that's exactly what you're doing! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi KingChris,

I am interested in Harvard as well, with a 3.71 cGPA and a sGPA that's slightly lower. I'm currently doing some research on the circadian rhythms of neurospora crassa, and next year (my 4th year) I'll be doing my honours thesis with a drosophila geneticist. However, I don't know what EXACTLY I will be doing (I'll probably be starting in Sept), so what should I write on the AADSAS application? I know that research experience is a boon, and I want to mention it.

With a DAT of 20/19/21 what are my chances at Harvard?

Hi KingChris,

I am a junior undergrad...thinking whether i should apply this cycle..

I recently decided to be a pre-dental so had no experiences with dentistry (although I have volunteer experience as a social worker and research experiences for two years) and gpa is overall 3.4, science 3.0ish.. and I am an international student..rec letters are not fully ready yet either..

Do you think I still have a chance...to like NYU????

Thanks!

Hi KingChris,

I am interested in Harvard as well, with a 3.71 cGPA and a sGPA that's slightly lower. I'm currently doing some research on the circadian rhythms of neurospora crassa, and next year (my 4th year) I'll be doing my honours thesis with a drosophila geneticist. However, I don't know what EXACTLY I will be doing (I'll probably be starting in Sept), so what should I write on the AADSAS application? I know that research experience is a boon, and I want to mention it.

With a DAT of 20/19/21 what are my chances at Harvard?

Research is definitely a plus, esecially for schools that have combined programs with the medical school such as Harvard, Columbia, and UConn. I think you should make a point to mention that you are BEGINNING research in the fall in your aadsas application (under "research experience") and list as much information as you can, such as the title of your research and the professor whom you will be working with.

Your DAT scores are definitely competetive. While Harvards average this past year was a bit higher (24/23/22), that's not to say that they don't take people below that as well. Harvard looks for very well rounded applicants who excelled academically, but also involved themself in research, volunteer work, and dental experience, and community leadership. Your GPA, however, helps a lot, since it is right around Harvard's average (3.78). But in all honesty, your numbers WILL get you noticed by them, but its a combination of your personal statement, LOR, and extracurrics that will nail you an interview. Once you get an interview your half way in!

My advice: Apply to Harvard! I doubt many people who got accepted to Harvard truly expected it, I sure didn't! They pick people for mny reasons, we have peopel in our class with a 3.4 GPA and a 20 DAT and people with a 4.0 and a 29 DAT. Do your best and then roll the dice. Good luck!

Hi KingChris,

I am a junior undergrad...thinking whether i should apply this cycle..

I recently decided to be a pre-dental so had no experiences with dentistry (although I have volunteer experience as a social worker and research experiences for two years) and gpa is overall 3.4, science 3.0ish.. and I am an international student..rec letters are not fully ready yet either..

Do you think I still have a chance...to like NYU????

Thanks!

Well, I would need to know your DAT score in order to give you a more accurate opinion. But if your DAT is about a 19 or higher and you can get your application out before the end of July (send it ASAP if you want a better chance) then I would say you have a chance at NYU and maybe Temple as well. The science GPA is usually the more important one, so it's good that that happens to be your higher one. But like I've said before, the most overlooked component of this entire process is the time line. You MUST get things out early to be taken seriously (preferably BEFORE July).

Bottum line: If your DATs are descent and you can get everything out by the end of July then you have a shot at some school this cycle.

Good luck!

jujubug,

Also, I would advise you to shadow some dentists before interview season so you can have something dental related to discuss on an interview as I am sure with the lack of dental experience they see in your application they will be sure to ask you dental related questions on the interview.

Well, I would need to know your DAT score in order to give you a more accurate opinion. But if your DAT is about a 19 or higher and you can get your application out before the end of July (send it ASAP if you want a better chance) then I would say you have a chance at NYU and maybe Temple as well. The science GPA is usually the more important one, so it's good that that happens to be your higher one. But like I've said before, the most overlooked component of this entire process is the time line. You MUST get things out early to be taken seriously (preferably BEFORE July).

Bottum line: If your DATs are descent and you can get everything out by the end of July then you have a shot at some school this cycle.

Good luck!

I haven't taken the DAT...
I read that you turned in everything in June except for your score..and you turned in your score later? So, for my case, do you think that's also possible.....like turning the score in at the end of august..along with rec letter?

thank you so much!!

Hello! Did you take Anatomy prior to taking the DAT? If so, how much did it help? I'm trying to decide if I want to take Physics II, Biochem, Anatomy + 1 class for my major (soc) in one semester just so I can graduate in 3.5 years. Thanks!

I haven't taken the DAT...
I read that you turned in everything in June except for your score..and you turned in your score later? So, for my case, do you think that's also possible.....like turning the score in at the end of august..along with rec letter?

thank you so much!!

Well, you can turn your scores in by the end of August and be fine, but you need the recommendation letters out at the same time you submit your application. That being the case, you want those recommendations along with your application sent out before August. Don't get me wrong, sending your application out in August is not the end of the world, but I am just giving you the same advice I was given and the same advice I was told by admission committees. It's a very comepetive world out there for dental school admissions, so anything you can do to give yourself the edge is what you should strive for. But some things, such as recomendation letters, are simply out of your hands. So, I would suggest writing a nice letter to the people who are writing your letters explaining your situation. Perhaps they may be able to get them out sooner?

Hello! Did you take Anatomy prior to taking the DAT? If so, how much did it help? I'm trying to decide if I want to take Physics II, Biochem, Anatomy + 1 class for my major (soc) in one semester just so I can graduate in 3.5 years. Thanks!

Nope, I took all of my anatomy's this past year. Biochem was a very helpful class for the DAT btw! Good luck!

I just want you all to be aware that the advice I am giving on this forum is simply based on what worked for me. I am by no means an expert on dental school admissions, but am speaking from my own experience. Just because I go into Harvard does not mean that what I am saying will work for everyone. I am being asked a lot of vital questions and am doing my best to relay the best possible answers based on my on successful experience with the admission process along with the advice I was given by a several dental school deans and current dental students.

Nevertheless, Please keep the questions coming, as I am more than happy to help everyone out! I just wanted to make sure you were aware that what I am saying is just advice based on my own experience. So, I encourage you all to not simply go on what I am saying, but to seek the advice of others as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is another one of those "do I stand a chance" posts -
I just finished my freshman year at Virginia Commonwealth University. I have a 3.1 science GPA, and a 2.808 overall. :( My college doesn't weight + or - grades, so that's screwed me over a few times. I am currently working an internship/assisting job at a children's hospital here in Philadelphia, and will be able to get a recommendation from the Dental department director, a former instructor for years at Temple dental, where I want to go. I have a few extra curriculars, including dental club, Alpha Epsilon Pi (the Jewish Fraternity), and volunteer work as a firefighter, for over a year so far. What can I do (besides raise my GPA, obviously) to better my chances?

Nope, I took all of my anatomy's this past year. Biochem was a very helpful class for the DAT btw! Good luck!
really? I havent taken Biochem yet! do you think that would hurt my DAT score? i am studying for bio section from Kaplan & destroyer. So far i havent seen any biochem...

hey do you guys know if we can add more schools after e-submitting the application on AADSAS?

really? I havent taken Biochem yet! do you think that would hurt my DAT score? i am studying for bio section from Kaplan & destroyer. So far i havent seen any biochem...

Well, if you haven't taken Biochem yet how do you know you haven't come across it? Biochem is just an indepth look at the pathways and enzymes involved in many systems within the body. I'm sure you have studied glycolysis, insulin secretion, digestive enzymes..etc....That is Biochemistry, and yes it is on the DAT! You don't have to take the class to know a little bit about it, but taking it just assures that you will have an even better understanding of these biological pathways. Good luck!

Dear Kingchris,
i am a dental technician residing at sydney and would like to apply for dentistry here but i am very confused how could i take preparation for the entrance exam,
i would really appreciate if you or any one you know who had done their Bdent from Australia could help me to get through this dificulties.
with thanks
Endless:)

If I were you, I'd go onto facebook and look up some ppl at Aussie Dschools. Good luck!

hey do you guys know if we can add more schools after e-submitting the application on AADSAS?

yes you can. follow the prompts... i'm not exactly sure where it details how to do this in the application.

yes you can. follow the prompts... i'm not exactly sure where it details how to do this in the application.
ok great thanks!... i am sure that you cannot delete schools but i wasnt sure if we are allow to add schools after submitting application.

Hey does any1 know if Meharry is strictly for minorities? I know Howard is but what about Meharry?

thanks!

I'm bothered taking advice from another pre-dent. This guy sounds like a bit of an egomaniac. Makes me shake. Harvard doesn't mean that you are the shiite! Dude, get over yourself.

Shaken ... or stirred?

I'm bothered taking advice from another pre-dent. This guy sounds like a bit of an egomaniac. Makes me shake. Harvard doesn't mean that you are the shiite! Dude, get over yourself.

Aren't you the guy who only wants to do dentistry for the money? I appreciate your honesty, but I can't expect you to understand why I am helping people here for free.

Hi Chris, thanks for taking the time to give us advice. This is kind of a random question, but do you happen to know how dental schools view applicants that are applying to medical school at the same time? I recently decided that I want to be a dentist (a little over a year ago), and although I have so dental shadowing experience, I'm afraid I don't have the clinical/shadowing experience to match other applicants who have been working towards the same goal for years. Also, I haven't taken my DATs yet so I am not sure how that will turn out, especially the PAT section. I guess I want to apply to medical school at the same time just in case I can't get into dental school since I have already completed my MCATs. I would love to be in the healthcare profession and would probably go into oral surgery if I don't get into dental school. However, dental school is my first choice. I'm just afraid that dental schools will think I'm applying as a backup when it's actually sort of the other way around. If you or anyone else have any insight, please share! :)

Aren't you the guy who only wants to do dentistry for the money? I appreciate your honesty, but I can't expect you to understand why I am helping people here for free.

as much as I hate to admit it, I kind of have to agree with DDSBound. there are a handful of sdners who got into harvard, like ihd...however none of them claim to know everything about getting into dental school and in fact, most of these sdners are extremely humble

the phrase "helping people for free" is also a bit silly, since thats what everyone on sdn is doing...we're all providing our insight from whatever experience we have to help one another out.

nevertheless, i'm sure everyone appreciates your insight and advice, and i'm all for your effort to help people...just keep in mind that a bit of humility is always appreciated :)

Exactly. This kingchris kid is a douche.

What is even funnier is that he did NOT get in Dec 1st. The students who got into Harvard on Dec 1st aren't starting "ask me anything" threads or bragging about getting into harvard every chance they get.

Basically, KingChris was a 3rd or 4th choice for Harvard, yet he wants everyone to know he is going to harvard. He somehow manages to sneak it into almost every thread he posts on, regardless if it is relevent or not. Makes me think he is insecure.

Geez, the guy is just trying to be helpful - we all have or have had questions in the past about this process, and he opened up a thread because he wanted people to know that he's willing to help them. No one said he was an expert, nor did he claim to be. Maybe you guys would have preferred to show your willingness to help in a different way, but that doesn't make this guy pompous. Some of you are obviously jealous that he made it into Harvard - what does it matter if he didn't make it in in the first round? He still got accepted! And why does it bother you that he's proud to have been accepted to Harvard? I would be proud too!

Geez, the guy is just trying to be helpful - we all have or have had questions in the past about this process, and he opened up a thread because he wanted people to know that he's willing to help them. No one said he was an expert, nor did he claim to be. Maybe you guys would have preferred to show your willingness to help in a different way, but that doesn't make this guy pompous. Some of you are obviously jealous that he made it into Harvard - what does it matter if he didn't make it in in the first round? He still got accepted! And why does it bother you that he's proud to have been accepted to Harvard? I would be proud too!
I agree with SMCohen, none of you guys showed courage to open up a thread & help others. he is dedicating his time to help others. You guys should appreciate him, not bash him. i am thankful to him.

I didn't apply to Harvard but UPenn is a pretty good school. People open threads with specific questions, we answer them. Just because you are good at taking a test doesn't mean you will make a wonderful dentist. This goes for me as well.

I think the OP should know when to open his mouth, in a forum with a specific question, not a generic "I know everything about dental admissions so ask me all. I am God" mentality. I wonder if the OP was rejected from any schools. I applied to NYU thinking it would be a safety school and I didn't even get an interview.

I did interview at 5 of the 7 schools I applied to still, the other 2?

For those of you who seem skeptical of my reasons for helping others on this forum and who think I am trying to brag or somthing let me again draw your attention to my disclaimer that I posted, which made it very clear that I, by no means think I am an expert, but thought helping people on this forum would be a great thing since I didn't get to dental school on my own. I got help from sdners and I really wanted to make a thread dedicated to helping answer questions about the admissions process. Yes, I do happen to know a thing or two about admissions as I am sure many others do as well. I had a rough start to college and feel that it is tuly a blessing that I got into dental school let aone Harvard. I am not bragging but trying to inspire others to not cut themselves short because I feel that if I can do it, other surey can as well.

Those of you reading this who have also gotten accepted into dntal school could have just as well decided to start a thread where others could ask you questions about what you did that helped you get in. I am not answering questions outside of the realmof dental school admissions., and would really appreciate if you would just respect this thread as I am sure it has been very useful to many other people.

I am reading tons of email from people whom I believed I have been able to really help. If you are already in dental school than you don't need my help, so why the hate?

Jeninny44uote, You're right, 34 other people did get into Harvard, and could very well be doing other things to help people, or not, it doesn't matter. And more than half the class gets in after Dec 1st. Do you really think anyone who gets into Harvard would be "insecure" about getting accepted after the 1st?! lol.. It's a blessing just to get into that school, your looking for trouble. lol...but your post did make me laugh :)

As future dentists we are committing our lives towards helping others. Why is it so hard to understand why a grateful predent wouldn't want to help others by starting a thread dedicated towards helping people through the admissions process?

DDSBOUND, I don't expect you to understand this at all! I am posting a thread dedicated to helping others while you started a thread dedicated to telling others that you are "In it for the Money".

ALSO, other predents who were accepted to dental school are more than welcome to answer peoples' questions on this thread, just because I started it doesn't mean you can't chime in! I am not syaing that I know anymore about admssions than anyone else who got accepted. I just chose to use my experience to answer questions. You guys should get on here and start answering questions too, instead of wasting your posts complaining about ME.

Thank You

I agree with SMCohen, none of you guys showed courage to open up a thread & help others. he is dedicating his time to help others. You guys should appreciate him, not bash him. i am thankful to him.

Thank You

I'm having a hard time deciding what to use to study for the DAT. I heard the Kaplan class is a waste of money, and the DAT destroyer is a good book but you need to know your stuff before going through these questions. I need to review all of the subjects before attempting practice questions but I don't know what books to use. Should I review stuff from my class textbooks? How did you review the material for the different DAT subjects, and what books did you use? Did you use any of the Kaplan material (Kaplan Blue Book or the Kaplan class)? Thanks!

I'm having a hard time deciding what to use to study for the DAT. I heard the Kaplan class is a waste of money, and the DAT destroyer is a good book but you need to know your stuff before going through these questions. I need to review all of the subjects before attempting practice questions but I don't know what books to use. Should I review stuff from my class textbooks? How did you review the material for the different DAT subjects, and what books did you use? Did you use any of the Kaplan material (Kaplan Blue Book or the Kaplan class)? Thanks!

I subscribed to the Kaplan online course - I didn't think the online lectures were all that helpful, but I did use the book that it came with plus all of the pratice exams they provided. For the biology section, I used Schaum's Biology (you can find it on Amazon) - my DAT stats aren't incredible, but they're decent (21/21/21).

For those of you who seem skeptical of my reasons for helping others on this forum and who think I am trying to brag or somthing let me again draw your attention to my disclaimer that I posted, which made it very clear that I, by no means think I am an expert, but thought helping people on this forum would be a great thing since I didn't get to dental school on my own. I got help from sdners and I really wanted to make a thread dedicated to helping answer questions about the admissions process. Yes, I do happen to know a thing or two about admissions as I am sure many others do as well. I had a rough start to college and feel that it is tuly a blessing that I got into dental school let aone Harvard. I am not bragging but trying to inspire others to not cut themselves short because I feel that if I can do it, other surey can as well.

Those of you reading this who have also gotten accepted into dntal school could have just as well decided to start a thread where others could ask you questions about what you did that helped you get in. I am not answering questions outside of the realmof dental school admissions., and would really appreciate if you would just respect this thread as I am sure it has been very useful to many other people.

I am reading tons of email from people whom I believed I have been able to really help. If you are already in dental school than you don't need my help, so why the hate?

Jeninny44uote, You're right, 34 other people did get into Harvard, and could very well be doing other things to help people, or not, it doesn't matter. And more than half the class gets in after Dec 1st. Do you really think anyone who gets into Harvard would be "insecure" about getting accepted after the 1st?! lol.. It's a blessing just to get into that school, your looking for trouble. lol...but your post did make me laugh :)

As future dentists we are committing our lives towards helping others. Why is it so hard to understand why a grateful predent wouldn't want to help others by starting a thread dedicated towards helping people through the admissions process?

DDSBOUND, I don't expect you to understand this at all! I am posting a thread dedicated to helping others while you started a thread dedicated to telling others that you are "In it for the Money".

ALSO, other predents who were accepted to dental school are more than welcome to answer peoples' questions on this thread, just because I started it doesn't mean you can't chime in! I am not syaing that I know anymore about admssions than anyone else who got accepted. I just chose to use my experience to answer questions. You guys should get on here and start answering questions too, instead of wasting your posts complaining about ME.

Kingchris, all your posts make me laugh.

I mean, seriously, who talks like that? :)

"Courageous" is not the correct adjective.

Hey, weren't you at my UConn interview?! How's it going? And yes I like cake very much! Not so much yellow cake...I'm going to go with chocolate mouse cake on this one!
This thread was hilarious up to the posts where users took it too seriously. Chocolate mousse is alright, but I try to avoid sweets as I'm gonna be a dentist. Things are looking up, like you, got into my top choice... and its not UConn (good school but Farmington and me don't go well together). Sorry to read that some users are hating on your acceptance as I know from meeting you that your spot at Harvard was well deserved. I'd love to be one of those tour guides during interviews next year so I can hear applicants talk s**t about other SDN'ers :laugh:... just shows the nature of some of the applicants.

Anyway, best of luck at Harvard! Keep in touch.

I think the OP should know when to open his mouth, in a forum with a specific question, not a generic "I know everything about dental admissions so ask me all. I am God" mentality. I wonder if the OP was rejected from any schools. I applied to NYU thinking it would be a safety school and I didn't even get an interview.

You're the last person who should be lecturing somebody about having a god complex. :laugh:

KingChris! Hey! Thanks for the answer to my first post.
My second question is, whats the difference betwen interning at a clinic hospital and a private office? Which one do you think will be more helpful?
Thanks!

P.S. People should stop posting irrelavant replies. *cough cough jeninny44. Even if Kingchris is bragging or not, he is still trying to help, and has actually helped me. And I am pretty sure many other people have been helped as well.

The biggest mistake KingChris made was assuming you needed to make a thread to answer people questions about dental school. Doing so was an unneccesary redundancy; we're on a forum specifically built for asking questions about dental school.

I'm absolutely sure your intentions weren't to brag about going to Harvard. To all the people trying to say that: lots of people have their school information in their signatures, or talk about the schools they got accepted to. Just because KC's school happens to be Harvard doesn't make him any worse for doing the same.

Given the redundancy however, you should be able to see why people think you're on some kind of quest to show how awesome you are.

P.S. People should stop posting irrelavant replies. *cough cough jeninny44. Even if Kingchris is bragging or not, he is still trying to help, and has actually helped me. And I am pretty sure many other people have been helped as well.

Their replies aren't irrelavant. Many of these questions can be better answered by either searching for past threads or asking the question in a new, threaded topic.

Their replies aren't irrelavant. Many of these questions can be better answered by either searching for past threads or asking the question in a new, threaded topic.
We should make a new subforum... oh wait, we had the offtopic forum before it got bunched in with the other health forums.

I don't know what the whole issue is here. King Chris has something to say,so what does it matter to all of you what he has to say. If you don't like it, don't read it and just keep your opinions to yourself. So what if he was waitlisted. He got in didn't he. More than can be said for quite a few people here.

It sure seems that there are some people who actually want his opinion. If his opinions are wrong, then it will only help the others trying to get in.

Personally, I wouldn't put much weight in his info as he seems like an an egotistical wannabe. But hey, that is just my opinion and knowing I will probably get into all schools I apply for this cycle, King Chris doesn't match up to me.

3.84 overall GPA
3.95 Science SGP

DAT
24 AA
23 PA
24 TS

last 3 years - UCLA football - yeah, I know we stunk and got whipped by FSU in the Emerald Bowl, but hey we had fun!

I don't know what the whole issue is here. King Chris has something to say,so what does it matter to all of you what he has to say. If you don't like it, don't read it and just keep your opinions to yourself. So what if he was waitlisted. He got in didn't he. More than can be said for quite a few people here.

It sure seems that there are some people who actually want his opinion. If his opinions are wrong, then it will only help the others trying to get in.

Personally, I wouldn't put much weight in his info as he seems like an an egotistical wannabe. But hey, that is just my opinion and knowing I will probably get into all schools I apply for this cycle, King Chris doesn't match up to me.

3.84 overall GPA
3.95 Science SGP

DAT
24 AA
23 PA
24 TS

last 3 years - UCLA football - yeah, I know we stunk and got whipped by FSU in the Emerald Bowl, but hey we had fun!

Everyone knows you are supposed to put the person's name in-between coughs. It is often the accepted norm to use an asterix before and after each cough. Here, I will help you out. Let me show you how it is done..: *cough* jjangmes *cough*

Hope this helps your sarcasm be more effective in the future.

Right, but it doesn't take courage to start up a thread like this. An ego veiled by the excuse of wanting to help perhaps... but not courage.

Nope i dont think he is being egoistic at all...its people like you who can't see other people's success!! oh well :rolleyes: ...its sad!! If you want to help other predents please do so....if you don't then its your choice! but please do not post nonsense replies!

p.s. I do think it takes courage to start a thread like this! I don't know if you have noticed or not but kc has answered every single question in this thread.

This is another one of those "do I stand a chance" posts -
I just finished my freshman year at Virginia Commonwealth University. I have a 3.1 science GPA, and a 2.808 overall. :( My college doesn't weight + or - grades, so that's screwed me over a few times. I am currently working an internship/assisting job at a children's hospital here in Philadelphia, and will be able to get a recommendation from the Dental department director, a former instructor for years at Temple dental, where I want to go. I have a few extra curriculars, including dental club, Alpha Epsilon Pi (the Jewish Fraternity), and volunteer work as a firefighter, for over a year so far. What can I do (besides raise my GPA, obviously) to better my chances?

-Get involved in research
-Shadow dentists (try to get over 80 hrs)
-Take a prep course for the DAT's (or atleast invest in some good prep books and take it pretty seriously..try to score above a 20)

Other than that, I think you could have a shot as long as your DAT is high and you bring up your grades to atleast a 3.2 for overall and for science. Good luck!