Ask Me Anything!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi chris, i have a question about the application process...

i don't get how it's applying early when your application isn't complete without everything in including DAT, LORs, etc. they won't look at your app until everything is complete but it's still considered applying "early" just by the virtue of submitting your applications itself online and sending the checks?
if so can't i just submit the application and get my transcript verified and it'll count as submitted early (or normal since it's july now but not that late?) and just have some more time on the LORs and DAT?
i'm just trying to understand the system, i know i should do everything asap.

Members don't see this ad.

First, which dental schools are impossible or difficult to get in without research experience at all? (Only research!!)

Secondly, do you know any e-mail addresses at Harvard, with which I can check if my AADSAS application materials and a few other supplmental items have been recieved?
(Is it too early for that?)

That's a tough question since there is no set rule on that. Every applicant is really looked at on an individual basis based on their own accomplishments. Since I only attend one school I can really only speak for my school on this matter. Overall, I think most people in my class did research of some sort, with a few of us also having been published for our work. However, their are some exceptions where students with extensive life experience and/or other unique accomplishments have also gained acceptance to Harvard without having done research. I don't really know the story behind every school, but some of the schools I am aware of that look favorably on research (not by any means a requirement though) would be Columbia, UPenn, and UConn. Keep in mind I only applied to the east coast so I know very little about the west coast schools.

In regards to your last question, there is no specific email address (atleast that I am aware of) to check on the status of your AADSAS application or supplemental application for Harvard. Just keep in mind that Harvard admissions is largely understaffed and they work really hard to keep up with all the applications and phone-calls they get on a daily basis (you'd be surprised with some of the phone-calls they get). Since it's early in the cycle, and you want Harvard to not think your annoying, I would restrain from contacting them about this stuff until a little later. But there should be contact information on the website in regards to who to call to verify that they have received everything they need. Good luck!

hi chris, i have a question about the application process...

i don't get how it's applying early when your application isn't complete without everything in including DAT, LORs, etc. they won't look at your app until everything is complete but it's still considered applying "early" just by the virtue of submitting your applications itself online and sending the checks?
if so can't i just submit the application and get my transcript verified and it'll count as submitted early (or normal since it's july now but not that late?) and just have some more time on the LORs and DAT?
i'm just trying to understand the system, i know i should do everything asap.

You're exactly right. I had trouble understanding this at first too since it's weird and doesn't make complete sense. But nevertheless, as long as your actual application is in early that is what's technically considered "applying early" since that is when a file is made for you at the admissions office. Technically your application isn't complete until everything is in, but since a file already exists you are counted as an applicant. But I would consider it truly being early if you have everything in before the end of august (i.e. DAT score, LORS, application) with the application being in even earlier (June or July). Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
so if your application itself is in may, but you complete your app by having the LORs and DAT sent in say as late as september. how do you judge that situation?

king chris, can you post some pics of the harvard dental school? clinical floor? pre-clinical lab? etc?

Hi, Chris, I hope you can help me out!
My DAT is not so strong.
AA 18 PA 22
Bio 20 Gchem 22 Orgo chem 16 reading 16 quantitative 18
It's funny because my first DAT was very bad but it had at least Orgo chem 17 and reading 18. My GPA is 3.68 with sGPA might be between 3.48 to 3.5.

I only have about 65 hours of shadowing experience with 3 dentists including one periodontist.

I do have lots of church volunteer / extracurriculum hours. Is 500 hr enough from church?

I am Indiana resident and I am going to apply there but they said that I need at least 17 or above for each section. :( I am thinking I am going to apply 11 schools including:
  • Indiana University
  • Arizona schol of dentistry and oral health
  • University of Louisville
  • University of Kentucky
  • University of Meryland
  • Tufts University
  • Creighton University
  • New York University
  • Virginia commonwealth university
  • West virginia university
  • Marquette university
Do you think I have a chance in any of them?? Please HELP!!!

And if I want to have more chance, do I need to indicate the future DAT date? I don't know if I can report the score after my DAT score in October without indicating that I would retake DAT. Because I don't know if I should take a risk for an interview with this DAT score, or should I let them wait until the future DAT is delivered to them. Because I heard that they do not look at application at all until the future DAT score arrives if the person indicated the future DAT date on the application. I am afraid if that would jeopardize my chance to get an interview if I would let them wait until October which is considerably late. What should I do??

Last edited:
what if i took gen-chem, gen-bio, o-chem at community college?would it look bad?(im planning to take physics at CC also) biochem at my university! would it look bad? i know that dental school is okay with CC credits

so if your application itself is in may, but you complete your app by having the LORs and DAT sent in say as late as september. how do you judge that situation?

Well technically that falls under "applying early", but keep in mind DAT scores take 2 weeks to actually get to the school from the time you take them, and you won't get an interview until everything is in. So even though your application is in, as long as it's incomplete, my understanding is that you won't be receiving an interview.

king chris, can you post some pics of the harvard dental school? clinical floor? pre-clinical lab? etc?

Since I'm only a second year I have not yet spent time in the clinic or pre-clinic and really have no pictures to offer you. If you want pictures of the school you can find them through google images, or if you don't live too far away you are always welcome to come on by and check it out.

Hi, Chris, I hope you can help me out!
My DAT is not so strong.
AA 18 PA 22
Bio 20 Gchem 22 Orgo chem 16 reading 16 quantitative 18
It's funny because my first DAT was very bad but it had at least Orgo chem 17 and reading 18. My GPA is 3.68 with sGPA might be between 3.48 to 3.5.

I only have about 65 hours of shadowing experience with 3 dentists including one periodontist.

I do have lots of church volunteer / extracurriculum hours. Is 500 hr enough from church?

I am Indiana resident and I am going to apply there but they said that I need at least 17 or above for each section. :( I am thinking I am going to apply 11 schools including:
  • Indiana University
  • Arizona schol of dentistry and oral health
  • University of Louisville
  • University of Kentucky
  • University of Meryland
  • Tufts University
  • Creighton University
  • New York University
  • Virginia commonwealth university
  • West virginia university
  • Marquette university
Do you think I have a chance in any of them?? Please HELP!!!

And if I want to have more chance, do I need to indicate the future DAT date? I don't know if I can report the score after my DAT score in October without indicating that I would retake DAT. Because I don't know if I should take a risk for an interview with this DAT score, or should I let them wait until the future DAT is delivered to them. Because I heard that they do not look at application at all until the future DAT score arrives if the person indicated the future DAT date on the application. I am afraid if that would jeopardize my chance to get an interview if I would let them wait until October which is considerably late. What should I do??

Well I think you should try to take the DAT earlier, say mid september. If you can find time to study about 6 hours everyday from now until the end of August, you should most certainly be ready to take it in September. But you know your situation better than I do, so please do whatever works best for you. Yes October is pushing it a little, but if your DAT goes well the second time I would say you have a descent shot at NYU and possibly Tufts. I can't comment on the other ones since I know little about them, as I only applied to the east coast. But I think you should also apply to Temple, as I think you may have a good shot getting in there. You have a very good amount of volunteer work, and a descent number of shadowing hours. Your gpa is right on par with what most dental schools will look at, so I 'd say just try to take the DAT in September if you can and then get everything in asap. Good luck!

Hi Chris, could you tell us how your Harvard application process went?

When you heard from them for the first time, what they asked you for supplements, when they invited you for an interview, when your interview was, how long it took them to get back to you after the interview, etc.

I know it's been a while, but anything would be helpful.

Thanks!

KingChris- Will i get into dental school?

Hi Chris, could you tell us how your Harvard application process went?

When you heard from them for the first time, what they asked you for supplements, when they invited you for an interview, when your interview was, how long it took them to get back to you after the interview, etc.

I know it's been a while, but anything would be helpful.

Thanks!

I submitted my application by the end of June and took my DAT in early August. I received a phone call from Harvard in the first week of September inviting me for an interview. The following week they sent me several pages of questions to answer as a supplemental application. The questions ranged from questions about my personal goals in dentistry, life changing experiences, and how I view the profession philosophically, to what I believe the future holds and what challenges I expect to face, as well as how I will prepare to meet the needs of my patients etc...They also asked that my high school transcript be sent to them. I interviewed in the first week of October. This was my first interview, and by far the most relaxed one. I was nervous thinking about it, but they made it such a low stress experience. They really treat you like gold and praise you for your accomplishments when they meet you, because they know how hard it is to get an interview there, and they tend to only interview the people who truly fascinate them in some way, and it shows in how they treat you. They act amazed with your record and what you have done and act as if it's an honor to finally meet you. By the way, I am not bragging, nor am I exaggerating here, this is really how it felt. I mean, hec, not all the professors that teach at Harvard and interview students even necessarily got in there when they were applying to dental school. Anyway, December 1st rolled around and I received a letter from them stating that I had been put on a waiting list, then a little over a month later, in late January, I received a phone call from the head of admissions at Harvard telling me that they had decided to accept me and they told me to think it over and get back to them with whether or not I would like to join the class. They wanted an answer by March I believe. I knew this was the place for me so I didn't take too long at all. And I advise anyone considering Harvard to try their very best to look past the name, because I'm not going to lie, the name is blinding, and there's a tremendous amount of prestige that the Harvard name holds, but it's your life and you have to be happy living with your decision day in and day out. But I truly felt that I belonged there since there philosophy on dentistry was right on par with how I view it, and their teaching style and curriculum really excited me, as did the general atmosphere and impression I got from them. So I did my very best to use factors other than the name to help make my decision. And I am so glad to be a student there, I don't feel that I could have possibly picked a better school for myself. Of course my experience at Harvard has been challenging, but at the same time it has also been very low stress. The professors and students have such camaraderie and they are absolutely fantastic people who really think things through and genuinely care for one another. Let me know if you have any more specific questions about my school, as I just really can't say enough about it, yet, at the same time I don't want to overdue it unless someone is really interested. Good luck!

Thank you for the reply. I will pm you if I have any further question, but first let's see if I can get some love from the school. ;)
Enjoy your summer! :D

Hi
I was just wondering when Harvard starts classes?