Ask Questions to a Pharma/Biotech Recruiter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrJosephKim

Advisor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you've been interested in getting a non-clinical job in pharma (pharmaceuticals) or biotech (biotechnology), you may not know where to begin, especially if you've only been in clinical practice and/or academia. I have the unique opportunity of interviewing a seasoned pharma/biotech recruiter who has extensive experience working in HR (human resources) at several major pharma/biotech companies.

I'd like to give you the opportunity to ask your questions to this individual. Send your questions via Private Message or post them here. Once I collect a handful of questions, I will post the responses in a Q&A format here and also on: http://www.nonclinicaljobs.com
 
What about questions for a clinical job in pharma (i.e clinical research)? Seems to me that someone in HR would know about both all types of jobs in that company, right?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for providing this opportunity to speak with someone in pharma! I am a P1 student in NY with intentions of becoming a pharmaceutical and/or patent lawyer. My career goals lie solely in industry and I would really like to "get my foot in the door" ASAP. I applied for summer internships a few months ago, with no promising responses. A lot of the issue is that I am in this weird in-between place where I can't be a law intern as I am not yet a law student, but research internships aren't interested in me because they don't see a point in having me intern since I am not planning on being a staff scientist, same for business internships. How can I convince the internship committees that I am a worthy investment? I am currently doing independent research at my school with a professor who is fresh out of being the US Head of Development at Novartis on the pharmaceutical industry, but this clearly is not enough to prove to the internship committees that I have a bright, promising future.

Thank you,
Michelle
 
I am currently doing independent research at my school with a professor who is fresh out of being the US Head of Development at Novartis on the pharmaceutical industry, but this clearly is not enough to prove to the internship committees that I have a bright, promising future.

What uni are you attending? I'll be attending UB in the fall and I know they have a partnership with Novartis. If I were you I'd take any internship in industry b/c that is going to be your foot in the door. Later when you are well established in a company you can get them to pay for your JD or MBA. With the economy as it is you're probably lucky if industry gives you anything as a P1 student.
 
I am at St. John's University. They have rotations at Pfizer, Forest etc. not Novartis, but I have and will apply in the future through their student summer employment program. When are you doing this interview with the industry professional?

I know, the economy is rough, I'm just grateful to be having a hard time getting an internship as opposed to having a hard time getting a job!