Ask your insightful comments on ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coffeeline

Reaction score
Fortunately, I had residency interviews in some so-called mid or low tier programs that you guys are not very interested in. However, I like them and wish to become an excellent pathologist with the help from the people in these programs.

Now, what I am not sure is, to finalize my ranking list, if the coated information from interviewers or gut feelings based on a short-period visit is very reliable. I understand people are different but could I gather some comments on these programs from you so that I can make more informed decision and avoid malignant ones? You're welcome to send me personal messages if you prefer.

(By alphabet)
Baylor Scott & White Medical Center at Temple, TX
Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Lenox Hill Hospital/Northwell Health, NY
U of Buffalo
U of Cincinnati
U of Minnesota
U of Rochester
U of South Alabama

Thank you for your kindness!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ranking is really up to you based on your interviews. I think Rochester and Minnesota are good solid programs.

Fortunately, I had residency interviews in some so-called mid or low tier programs that you guys are not very interested in. However, I like them and wish to become an excellent pathologist with the help from the people in these programs.

Now, what I am not sure is, to finalize my ranking list, if the coated information from interviewers or gut feelings based on a short-period visit is very reliable. I understand people are different but could I gather some comments on these programs from you so that I can make more informed decision and avoid malignant ones? You're welcome to send me personal messages if you prefer.

(By alphabet)
U of Buffalo
U of Cincinnati
U of Minnesota
U of Rochester
U of South Alabama

Reactions: 1 user

(By alphabet)
U of Buffalo
U of Cincinnati
U of Minnesota
U of Rochester
U of South Alabama

Rank based on where youd want to work. I’d stay in the region where you could see yourself for work and make connections. I don’t think Harbor is good (low volume, always has unfilled surgpath fellowship) from what I’ve vaguely heard but if you want to be in LA then go for it. Rochester is cold af lol. Temple Texas nothing is going on there but Austin is one hour away. I would go where you’d be happy. Training wise I think Minn and Rochester are the best programs on your list. Don’t know much about Lenox Hill but those Nyc programs prob work you hard and living in NYC isn’t for everyone.

I’d rank based on where you’d want to work in the future and make connections.

West coast? Pick Harbor.
East coast? Pick Rochester
Midwest? Pick Minnesota.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all! I agree that Rochester and Minnesota are two with good reputation. The thing is I am not sure if these two will certainly pick me and I consider each of them seriously. So, any opinions on the other 6?

Another big factor is location just as "MetroPath" nicely explained. But every program says they have excellent fellowship placement. For example, South Alabama, Buffalo, BSW and Cincinnati all have graduates going to MSK or Anderson for fellow training; Harbor has Standford or UCLA. If one does not mind living anywhere, how to differentiate them based on location?

Then how to find if one will be happy or if a program is malignant? They are all very nice in interviews but will the feelings in the "real world" after joining the group be any different? In my own life, some people that were cool when first met became very helpful and friendly later.

So, hearing second information/comments to confirm my own final decision is just the reason I post my question here. Thank you for your input!

1. Rochester
2. Univ Minnesota
3-8. Rank based on your feel from the interview and where you think you’d be happiest based on location, residents and faculty.

Its simple.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user