asked to write my own LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tensunit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started off with "bestest estest most awesomest resident ever. I wish he were my son"
but it didn't pass the scrutiny of spell check . :rolleyes:

any advice?

What elements are people looking for in a LOR?

should specific examples be included?

It will obviously be edited for accuracy... Just an awkward situation for me to be in.

Members don't see this ad.

I would consider that as a red flag and would kindly ask the attending to write the letter for you. If you spent the time to get to know your attending he/she should spend some time writing the letter. The letter should be thoughtful and highlight your qualities. The type of things an attending should include in the letter might not seem important to you and hence you will miss them. For example team player, leadership qualities, excellent communicator, willing to seek expert advice when needed etc.

It is not that uncommon to be asked to write your own letter--been there. Unless you are a narcissist, it is difficult at first, but try not to be humble and really lay it on thick. Be frank with your reference, tell him/her it was difficult and you are a humble person--they understand and will edit the letter if needed.
The perk of writing your own letter is you know what is in it. You would be surprised how crappy some of the letters are....
Letters of recommendation matter if they are negative or if the interviewer knows the reference. Otherwise no one cares...

Members don't see this ad :)
It may be common but it is not ethical in my opinion. *shrug* Maybe I am oldfashioned but I want a letter writer who is going to be honest to the program, and if they say write it yourself it kinda tells me they don't care much for you.

I had to do it once for my medical school app because a guy who 'mentored' me and I was too naive and young to realize didn'tc are said write your own letter.

I think unless you are a good writer, a lot of times it just comes off as not genuine.

Sorry, but I wouldn't take up this offer.

The difficulty here is that you haven't "played the game" enough to know what Program Directors are looking for in a letter.

My analogy would be: Imagine being in fourth grade and are out sick for a week with the flu. You have to bring a note to your teacher explaining why you were sick. Your mom says, "why don't you write it and I'll sign it." No matter how well you write, it'll always look like a fourth-grader wrote it.

Detention.

If you choose to write it, be careful.

That's garbage. LORs need to be from someone in the same field and positive--that's it. Extra points if the program director/interviewer knows the reference... 4th grader analogy is a stretch

Last edited: