How to factor in location for residency rank list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandemic_medic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, one of my goals after PM&R residency is to re-locate back to my home state to be close to family. I have heard of stats saying the vast majority of residents land their first job within a certain radius of where they trained. For those who moved across the country for training, how difficult was it for you to job search, make connections, and re-locate back home? I interviewed at programs in my home state, but they don't exactly offer what I'm looking for in a residency from an educational standpoint. Not sure if I should be prioritizing location to build up my local connections, or pursue residency programs across the country that are better aligned with my interests within PM&R. Please help, thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, go to the best PM&R program you can that will offer you the best training and best opportunities after training. You can find a way back to your home state after training, if you want, and you will have excellent training to back up what you would be bringing back there. Nobody is going to fault you for living in Minnesota to attend the Mayo Clinic or Massachusetts to attend Harvard rather than sticking around in your home state. I would say that many residents end up finding jobs in the area of their residency program (or fellowship program) after training because (A) they know the area, (B) they might have made connections in the area (or at least within their home residency or fellowship program), and (C) more than likely they moved to the area for training and probably do not want to move again if can be avoided.

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely with you on prioritizing those top programs with a halo effect, but I have a couple situations I'm going back and forth on.
1) Top-tier in-state program isn't a great fit compared to other top-tier out of state programs in terms of fellowships, distribution of in/outpatient rotations, and ultrasound curriculum.
2) Top and mid-tier in-state programs that don't fit well vs. mid-tier out of state programs that better fit my educational preferences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely with you on prioritizing those top programs with a halo effect, but I have a couple situations I'm going back and forth on.
1) Top-tier in-state program isn't a great fit compared to other top-tier out of state programs in terms of fellowships, distribution of in/outpatient rotations, and ultrasound curriculum.
2) Top and mid-tier in-state programs that don't fit well vs. mid-tier out of state programs that better fit my educational preferences.
Go with the better program…better training and better opportunities. I’d only go with the less reputable place if it is clear that it is a poor fit.

1) go with the out of state program that’s the better fit

2) ask why the top in state program is a poor fit.

Reactions: 2 users
Go to the best spot to train. Keep ties to where you want to go back to. Lots of folks go across the country for training and then go “home” to practice. If your well trained, you can be in the driver’s seat regarding where you want to practice.

Reactions: 3 users
Unless the program is in your hometown and you'd have family support and this would improve your emotional well being, I'd go with the best training program. Among the best programs, you can factor in cost of living and ease of getting back to family for long weekends, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Ideally you do your training where you want to work. I would focus on the best training first though.

So, if you are thinking of doing a fellowship, then go to the best place possible and then come back to the city or state. also, if you list the location, it can be helpful. Like getting a jab in NYC is very much about where you trained but like other top programs won't hurt where as Texas and California tend to be very geographic(a bit more networking)