You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Asking a Medical School for more $$
Started by keevwu
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted480308
Does anyone have experience asking your preferred medical school to provide you more grant/scholarship money while mentioning that another school is offering you more aid? How successful have you guys been?
there are thousands of people that want your seat, you have no leverage
Go ahead and explain the situation. We're used to it. I have never had a scholarship squeeze from someone holding at a DO school, though... Neither school can even confirm the acceptance without calling. And which way are you squeezing? Interesting.Does anyone have experience asking your preferred medical school to provide you more grant/scholarship money while mentioning that another school is offering you more aid? How successful have you guys been?
Let us know how it goes!
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have experience asking your preferred medical school to provide you more grant/scholarship money while mentioning that another school is offering you more aid? How successful have you guys been?
really? I hope you're not serious.
a medical education is not an entitlement.
you're not special - if you don't take the spot, someone else will.
perhaps you can take out loans like everyone else.
there are thousands of people that want your seat, you have no leverage
So...why is this not true at Ivy League undergrads? There's tons of people willing to take loans and your seat there too, but places will increase aid 10k/yr and more to keep youreally? I hope you're not serious.
a medical education is not an entitlement.
you're not special - if you don't take the spot, someone else will.
perhaps you can take out loans like everyone else.
The worst that can happen is they say no.
They can't take away your acceptance, and they won't pass this on to the deans who will then hate you for 4 years.
May as well ask.
EDIT: Personally, I would phrase this as something like "You are my top school choice, but from a financial stand point this other school is offering me a lot more aid, I was wondering if there is anything you could do to help alleviate some of the difference...."
They can't take away your acceptance, and they won't pass this on to the deans who will then hate you for 4 years.
May as well ask.
EDIT: Personally, I would phrase this as something like "You are my top school choice, but from a financial stand point this other school is offering me a lot more aid, I was wondering if there is anything you could do to help alleviate some of the difference...."
This is not always true. If the school wants you enough you have leverage.there are thousands of people that want your seat, you have no leverage
My best friend in med school did that. She told our school that if they didn't give her scholarship money, she would just go to her state school. She has a scholarship now.
I think it worked because they were actively recruiting her (they made the call to her to see how interested she was in the school near the decision deadline).
I also know someone for whom it did not work - he has a full scholarship to our school but could not convince other schools to give him a scholarship.
So there, n=2. Take it for what it's worth.
I think it worked because they were actively recruiting her (they made the call to her to see how interested she was in the school near the decision deadline).
I also know someone for whom it did not work - he has a full scholarship to our school but could not convince other schools to give him a scholarship.
So there, n=2. Take it for what it's worth.
Asking the DO for more money. Citing the $80k total difference (over four years) between the MD and DO school. I am mentioning that they are my top choice and I would like to reduce this difference. I'll let you guys know how it goes!Go ahead and explain the situation. We're used to it. I have never had a scholarship squeeze from someone holding at a DO school, though... Neither school can even confirm the acceptance without calling. And which way are you squeezing? Interesting.
Let us know how it goes!
really? I hope you're not serious.
a medical education is not an entitlement.
you're not special - if you don't take the spot, someone else will.
perhaps you can take out loans like everyone else.
While I agree that I'm not special, schools give scholarships. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask and maybe end up being in less debt?really? I hope you're not serious.
a medical education is not an entitlement.
you're not special - if you don't take the spot, someone else will.
perhaps you can take out loans like everyone else.
My best friend in med school did that. She told our school that if they didn't give her scholarship money, she would just go to her state school. She has a scholarship now.
I think it worked because they were actively recruiting her (they made the call to her to see how interested she was in the school near the decision deadline).
I also know someone for whom it did not work - he has a full scholarship to our school but could not convince other schools to give him a scholarship.
So there, n=2. Take it for what it's worth.
I just did that same thing your first friend did. It wasn't full tuition but a sizable portion at a school that isn't known for their financial aid.
I asked my top choice school if they could match another offer. They apologized, but said they could not. I'm attending anyway (as they likely thought I would). Everyone was really nice about it/it wasn't a big deal. I knew the odds were incredibly small but didn't see any harm in asking.
It worked for me! PM me for details.
Based on the timing of things, I'm assuming you were accepted off of the waitlist. That in and of itself will decrease your chances. Had you been an extremely desirable candidate - i.e., accepted prior to the AAMC traffic deadline if not earlier on in the cycle - then this maneuver likely would've had a higher chance of being successful. It's still worth a shot even coming off the waitlist, but it's less likely given when you were accepted and the circumstances surrounding your acceptance. Keep in mind that from the school's perspective there are likely plenty of folks they can call or e-mail immediately after you that would likely take the seat.
But, as you saw, there's no harm in asking.
But, as you saw, there's no harm in asking.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
there are thousands of people that want your seat, you have no leverage
really? I hope you're not serious.
a medical education is not an entitlement.
you're not special - if you don't take the spot, someone else will.
perhaps you can take out loans like everyone else.
I don't understand the negativity. While yes, you are probably not that special, several medical schools thought you were special enough for them. Don't underestimate your value. Medical students are a commodity.
Just explain your situation and ask for more aid in a tactful way. There is absolutely no harm in asking.
Quinnipiac. Didn't make sense for me to pay more AND have fewer residency opportunities, despite my liking for Western's location.so where are you going? Quinnipiac or Western?
yes, I was accepted off waitlist.Based on the timing of things, I'm assuming you were accepted off of the waitlist. That in and of itself will decrease your chances. Had you been an extremely desirable candidate - i.e., accepted prior to the AAMC traffic deadline if not earlier on in the cycle - then this maneuver likely would've had a higher chance of being successful. It's still worth a shot even coming off the waitlist, but it's less likely given when you were accepted and the circumstances surrounding your acceptance. Keep in mind that from the school's perspective there are likely plenty of folks they can call or e-mail immediately after you that would likely take the seat.
But, as you saw, there's no harm in asking.
Earlier in the cycle I had a lot of success getting increases in merit money based on the other merit offers I was holding. As long as it is done tactfully, I think it is a smart move. Asking for more can't hurt. And don't listen to people calling you entitled. You deserve the best financial deal you can get.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 911