Asking about research opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JP2740

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be appropriate to email physicians directly in the department I'm interested in asking about research opportunities? I rotated with them in october so I have met them all. I usually go through the residents but not getting much from them right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Email, put some filler stuff about how you are thinking of applying in their field and really enjoyed working with them while on rotation. Ask if they know any researchers who take medical students as you would like to explore the field more.

Offer to meet in person or on the phone if that would be easier.

What field?
Do you have a mentor in that field? If so, you should ask them to direct you as well.

I cold emailed several physicians about research opportunities (including a PD) in a field I'm interested in and it worked out well for me. n=1, but I was told by the PD who I wound up doing research with that he was glad I emailed him directly because it showed initiative.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be appropriate to email physicians directly in the department I'm interested in asking about research opportunities? I rotated with them in october so I have met them all. I usually go through the residents but not getting much from them right now.
I've sent a handful of cold emails and usually gotten at least a meeting; I wouldn't worry about trying to go through the residents first.

Email, put some filler stuff about how you are thinking of applying in their field and really enjoyed working with them while on rotation. Ask if they know any researchers who take medical students as you would like to explore the field more.

Offer to meet in person or on the phone if that would be easier.

What field?
Do you have a mentor in that field? If so, you should ask them to direct you as well.
ENT
Yea I do.

I cold emailed several physicians about research opportunities (including a PD) in a field I'm interested in and it worked out well for me. n=1, but I was told by the PD who I wound up doing research with that he was glad I emailed him directly because it showed initiative.
Thanks I might give this a go

What field?

Tangentially related question - when you use "mentor" in this non-research context, what do you mean? I'm an MS1 and I feel like I hear "mentor" applied to a few different types of professional relationships - curious what the differences are.

Tangentially related question - when you use "mentor" in this non-research context, what do you mean? I'm an MS1 and I feel like I hear "mentor" applied to a few different types of professional relationships - curious what the differences are.
anyone who gives you career advice and helps you along the way. Like an attending in your desired field can help you make a 4th year schedule talored to that field.

A mentor for residency applications is a person who can critically appraise your application and tell you how to navigate the process (specifically, who's ass you need to kiss). They also will ideally know lots of people in the field / residency selection so they can call or make connections for you.

anyone who gives you career advice and helps you along the way. Like an attending in your desired field can help you make a 4th year schedule talored to that field.
I see - how did you establish that relationship during third year? Were you able to rotate through ENT early?

A mentor for residency applications is a person who can critically appraise your application and tell you how to navigate the process (specifically, who's ass you need to kiss). They also will ideally know lots of people in the field / residency selection so they can call or make connections for you.
What's in it for them, out of curiosity? Do you have to ask around a bit before you find someone with time to help you?

At least at my school, you ask people who just matched who their mentors were. If it happened to be someone you didn't know yet, you asked for a warm introduction where they introduced you to their mentor. We also had a specialty open house where people interested in advising students met for the various specialties. This is all very early to be worrying about this, but it will become more apparent as you enter 3rd year.

I looked up docs at nearby hospitals, looked them up on PubMed to see if they publish with relative frequency as attendings, and sent them a cold email. I wait 3 days between emails, so I wouldn't have to turn anyone down (awkward). Took 5 emails before I got a bite. Hopefully submitting by the end of summer.

I know other people at my school who did the same thing so n=many.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes.

Reactions: 1 user