Confused about Sub I timing and research year

Started by Gothpanic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gothpanic

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone
I have a quick question about how you time away rotations when you are also taking a research year. Let's say im done with third year on late April, and my research year starts on August until next July. I want to apply plastics and I have heard 3 away rotations is standard. Should I just squeeze in all 3 aways on July-September after research year, or is it possible to take an away rotation a year early? Thank you.
 
The answer probably depends upon your school policies and your circumstances. If you're taking an "LOA" for the research year, you may not be considred a medical student during that time, which would make rotating elsewhere impossible. Or, your school may keep you enrolled the whole time. Also depends on whether your research work can handle an interruption like that. Bottom line I think your answer is all local, and you'll need to talk to your school officials.