Asking Boss for a Pharmacist Job?

Started by Oink
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Oink

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am graduating in a few months and I am currently an intern at this one pharmacy. I don't get to talk to my boss much so we haven't talked about what I will be doing after graduation.

This might be a simple question to answer, but should I just simply ask my boss if there is space to hire me on as a pharmacist?
 
Yes, ask your boss. It's that simple. Also remember, hiring you as a pharmacist will be an additional $100k to $135k expense for him or her.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, definitely let your boss know of your interest. I did this with a job 1 year prior to my graduation (~25 years ago.) When I graduated, there weren't any jobs available at that location, but a couple of years later, I was able to get a job at that location. Even if your boss can't hire your on immediately, you want him to be aware of your interest for the future.
 
Are there any tips for looking for jobs in case my boss says there isn't any openings? I've been asking around old pharmacies I've worked/rotated at and they all tell me they will let me know if there is an opening. It's very unlikely they will have openings because I know the staff and I don't see them needing another pharmacist.

I've been applying to jobs everywhere on job listing sites and I am not getting any responses. I sometimes get rejected by their automated system because I am not licensed yet. Should I just apply for pharmacist jobs on the websites of all retail pharmacies?