asking for a better financial aid package

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stay.hydrated

Reaction score
Hello!

I was incredibly grateful a surprised to have received 4 acceptances thus far from Yale, UCLA, UCSD, and UVA. Yale is definitely my top choice, but I recently received a full tuition merit scholarship to UCLA. My financial aid package from Yale had a surprisingly high "parent contribution," which leaves me with a total of 50K in loans per year after need-based scholarships. Both of my parent's income is significantly below the national poverty line; therefore, my actual parent contribution is 0. Yale has an amazing financial aid program that will match almost 100% of need-based loans with scholarships (like Columbia) after a $10k base loan (which is what I thought I would qualify for).

Does anyone have experience asking for a reassessment of their "parent contributions" to qualify for greater need-based loans/scholarships?

Also, yesterday I was in disbelief to have gotten a full-tuition merit scholarship for UCLA. With that scholarship and my need-based scholarship, I will be left with about $26k in loans per year. Can I use this scholarship to ask Yale for Merit Scholarships? How should I even word an email asking for more money?

Short rant: I wish I could just suck it up and take out the loans, but I truly believe medical school should be free. With an estimated 40,000-124,000 national physician shortage and 7+ years of training, we should not be financially drowning to dedicate our life to healthcare!

Any advice or idea on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Tell Yale they’re your #1 choice but you got full tuition at another school. List your reasons for wanting to take on less debt and ask if they’re able to make their aid offer more competitive compared to UCLA

Reactions: 3 users
hello! congrats! i’d let them know that you have a competitive offer at a similar level school but are interested in their program and was wondering if a similar offer could be matched or any form of financial assistance could be offered to help your decision. i’d also potentially reach out to the M1s on the yale instagram and see if they have any insight.

also i’d love to hear more about why you’re leaning yale over ucla!! i’m grateful to have been accepted into both, but i’m having a hard time deciding between these two schools. i’d appreciate any insight 🥲

Members don't see this ad :)
hello! congrats! i’d let them know that you have a competitive offer at a similar level school but are interested in their program and was wondering if a similar offer could be matched or any form of financial assistance could be offered to help your decision. i’d also potentially reach out to the M1s on the yale instagram and see if they have any insight.

also i’d love to hear more about why you’re leaning yale over ucla!! i’m grateful to have been accepted into both, but i’m having a hard time deciding between these two schools. i’d appreciate any insight 🥲
I love the flexibility in the Yale System and how they have so many research opportunities. Besides the name, I've been attracted to Yale because I thought it would be more financially suitable, but that is no longer true. The YSM admitted Instagram page had been an excellent marketing tactic because I look forward to hearing the perspective of a different student every day. I feel like I don't really know how to compare the curriculums and research opportunities because they are both amazing. UCLA is a lot closer to home, with better weather. I'm honestly torn and still need to take the time to make a throughout pros and cons list. I truly have no idea how to make this decision and would love to hear your insight as well!!!

You will probably enjoy being near family and avoiding snow much more during your 4 years than paying more to be at Yale.

Tell Yale they’re your #1 choice but you got full tuition at another school. List your reasons for wanting to take on less debt and ask if they’re able to make their aid offer more competitive compared to UCLA
Congrats on the great offers! Agreed, if Yale can provide a better financial offer (even if it just a little bit more than UCLA in the end) I would go there. If not, probably UCLA.