Asking for a deferral

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shammyguy3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I'm still on the waitliste at a school, I've contacted them multiple times about the movement and each time there hasn't been any news for me. It's nearly July, so time is of the essence.

Would it be appropriate to contact the school, say that I understand the lengthy process it takes to go through the waitliste, and say that I would be willing to defer for a year if granted he acceptance?

Would offering that up to the school encourage them further to grant me a seat? Or would it be of poor taste since they generally do not offer a deferred acceptance for their class? Would it take me out of the running, or would it make me more appealing to the admissions committee?

Members don't see this ad.

so I'm still on the waitliste at a school, I've contacted them multiple times about the movement and each time there hasn't been any news for me. It's nearly July, so time is of the essence.

Would it be appropriate to contact the school, say that I understand the lengthy process it takes to go through the waitliste, and say that I would be willing to defer for a year if granted he acceptance?

Would offering that up to the school encourage them further to grant me a seat? Or would it be of poor taste since they generally do not offer a deferred acceptance for their class? Would it take me out of the running, or would it make me more appealing to the admissions committee?

Sounds like a bad idea.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are a regular last cycle applicant then no and you should have already started applying elsewhere and maybe again at the site.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
If I don't get off the waitlist then I will be retaking courses and the mcat again and apply next summer

DONT DO THIS.

If the school doesnt do a deferred admissions then do not expect any special treatment. If anything it will come across as a bit "self entitled" and wouldnt go well with some people. If anything to show interest, give them periodic updates (though it may be late for that now). If you have not, send in a LOI and express your interest and how you are preparing to apply again and hope to matriculate in the following cycle, but do NOT ask for this directly. Work towards it through merit.

Reactions: 1 users
If I don't get off the waitlist then I will be retaking courses and the mcat again and apply next summer
Then get registered for classes. Check the specific schools thread and look at the wait list support thread to see if anyone is getting movement. Some schools will tell you what number or tier you are. With wait lists often it's just hoping to get lucky but not expecting to.

Nope. They'll just ignore you.

Then get registered for classes. Check the specific schools thread and look at the wait list support thread to see if anyone is getting movement. Some schools will tell you what number or tier you are. With wait lists often it's just hoping to get lucky but not expecting to.

Registered for classes in April. School has not told me a rank, so I haven't an idea where I stand
DONT DO THIS.

If the school doesnt do a deferred admissions then do not expect any special treatment. If anything it will come across as a bit "self entitled" and wouldnt go well with some people. If anything to show interest, give them periodic updates (though it may be late for that now). If you have not, send in a LOI and express your interest and how you are preparing to apply again and hope to matriculate in the following cycle, but do NOT ask for this directly. Work towards it through merit.
This is pretty much what I thought. I only just had this idea when I read another posters thread s/he made today.

Also have already sent LOI

Registered for classes in April. School has not told me a rank, so I haven't an idea where I stand

This is pretty much what I thought. I only just had this idea when I read another posters thread s/he made today.

Also have already sent LOI

I think at this point you have exercised all your viable options and hope for the best. I know its not what you want but its part of the process. Though you may have already, look at previous years threads to see how folks made out from this point forward on the waitlist.