I want to stay as a deferred A?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ExplodingLlama

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys, I currently have a provisional acceptance to a medical school for 2027 start. After reflecting on things more, I think I’d prefer to remain provisionally accepted and potentially start the following year instead. I’m getting married this June, and I’d like to use this time to reapply and see if I could get accepted to other DO schools closer to my spouse/home. (though I would happily start in 2027 at the provisional A school, if I don't get anywhere else)

My question is: if I’m eventually offered a full acceptance for this year’s class, would it look bad if I turned it down? And say I would prefer to start in 2027? I definitely don’t want to burn bridges or come across as ungrateful to the school.

Has anyone been in a similar situation or know how admissions committees usually view this?
 
When you agree to a deferred acceptance for 2027 at the school which made you this offer, you will also be signing a binding agreement that you will not use that deferral year to reapply elsewhere.
Do that, and you will likely lose the 2027 slot.
The way most schools work this, is to ask you to submit a 2027 AMCAS or AACOMAS app with only their school listed, which they will promptly approve.

It may well work out for you better to start in 2027, to give you a chance to get accustomed to married life and maybe work/save up some money for med school expenses. Decisions like where to settle down, making sure your new spouse knows that it is common to move for med school and/or residency are some big conversations to have soon.
 
Last edited: