Asking for help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maggie_Lee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Chinese Doctor. I 've already got my M.D. and Master of Anesthesiology at Wuhan University in Central China. Then I worked at a big teaching hospital with 1300 beds for three years.

I want to study and work abroad, like US, Canada or other European countries. I am quite interested in Cardiathoracic Anesthesia and Organ transplantation Anesthesia. I want to get advanced knowledge and clinic training abroad. Who can tell me whether foreign doctors can get chances like that?

And what is clinical fellowships provided by some hospital's anesthesia department? Can foreign doctors apply for them?

If anybody knows informations about it, could you tell me? Thanks a lot!I am quite anxiuos now. :confused: darkred

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no expert, but we have had a few foreign doctors do fellowship in our department (Albert Einstein). I believe you need a particular type of visa. You also need a program willing to sponsor that kind of visa. That's about all I know. Hope this helps.

Maggie_Lee said:
I am a Chinese Doctor. I 've already got my M.D. and Master of Anesthesiology at Wuhan University in Central China. Then I worked at a big teaching hospital with 1300 beds for three years.

I want to study and work abroad, like US, Canada or other European countries. I am quite interested in Cardiathoracic Anesthesia and Organ transplantation Anesthesia. I want to get advanced knowledge and clinic training abroad. Who can tell me whether foreign doctors can get chances like that?

And what is clinical fellowships provided by some hospital's anesthesia department? Can foreign doctors apply for them?

If anybody knows informations about it, could you tell me? Thanks a lot!I am quite anxiuos now. :confused: darkred

if you want to work in the US you will have to go through what every FMG has to go through- USMLEs, the new clinical competency exam and Internship/residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Goober said:
if you want to work in the US you will have to go through what every FMG has to go through- USMLEs, the new clinical competency exam and Internship/residency.

Yes, I think that is the case, unless you just want fellowship training in the US. I think there are ways to get that and then return to your country. But the international forums would be a better place to ask this question.

I'm not sure about anesthesia, but I know that in internal medicine if you want to do a fellowship you would have to re-do your entire residency. For cardiac anesthesia that would mean internship + anesthesia residency + cardiac fellowship. A total of five years.

NaeBlis said:
Yes, I think that is the case, unless you just want fellowship training in the US. I think there are ways to get that and then return to your country. But the international forums would be a better place to ask this question.

Well she did say she wants to study AND work abroad. As far as I know all clinical fellowships (ie ones where you have are directly responsible for patients) require you to have a license which means you have to go through the whole licensing process. You can do research fellowships of course but I don't think that is what she is looking for.