Asking for Letters of Rec Pre-AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronnicus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused on how the process works- I'm doing research in a lab outside the country over the summer and I was planning on getting a letter of rec from the PI. Firstly, do medical schools accept foreign letters of recommendation? And should I ask the letter writer to give me a hard copy that I then mail to AMCAS the following year or should I use a service like interfolio to save the letter (which costs money). Any help would be very appreciated thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure about foreign letters of recommendation, but a professional in medicine who knows you well is still someone who can write good things about you, and that still should mean a lot.

I would honestly use a service to keep electronic copies and send it. I know my school has a Letter of Reference Service that most of us use, for a small fee, but it makes the process much, much easier.

If you think about it, (correct me if I'm wrong please!) if you request hard copies, you will personally have to mail each and every one of those letters to each school that you apply to. I actually hope I'm wrong about this =P

I'm a bit confused on how the process works- I'm doing research in a lab outside the country over the summer and I was planning on getting a letter of rec from the PI. Firstly, do medical schools accept foreign letters of recommendation? And should I ask the letter writer to give me a hard copy that I then mail to AMCAS the following year or should I use a service like interfolio to save the letter (which costs money). Any help would be very appreciated thanks!
1. Yes
2. Interfolio, with your rights to see the letter waived

1. Yes
2. Interfolio, with your rights to see the letter waived

Is interfolio the only way to go about this? If he gave me a hard copy of the letter could I save it until the following year and then mail it AMCAS directly?