Asking for LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basketballakev

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what do you guys think of asking a LOR from a professor who taught a class that you got a B+ in compared to another professor who taught a class you got an A in? The reason I ask is because I know the professor who taught a class that I got a B in pretty darn well . Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If they are going to write about your academic performance then there better be a good reason for why you have a B (for example, only 5% of the class receives an A, a bit extreme I know). Just make sure that they can talk about your performance in a manner that would appeal to medical schools.

You can always give them a copy of your personal statement and maybe a copy of a paper you wrote for them (hopefully the best one that you got a good grade on) as well as a short (short!) run down of the ECs you did while at school.

The more you give them to work on besides the grade they have in their grade book the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I created a nice portfolio for all my recommendors that included directions, a cover letter, my cv, gpa/mcat scores and my personal statement. They all seemed to be happy with it.

Go for the professor that's going to give you the better letter of rec. I think the only reason that people might not get a letter from a professor whose class they got a B+ in is because the PROFESSOR might not write it.