Asking for LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geh926

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asking two separate professors for a LOR in 45 minutes. Freaking out a little bit because I haven't seen them in a while and really need these! Any last words on ways to ask, how to sell myself? :eek::)

Members don't see this ad.

Asking two separate professors for a LOR in 45 minutes. Freaking out a little bit because I haven't seen them in a while and really need these! Any last words on ways to ask, how to sell myself? :eek::)

Just make sure you take a resume, transcript, and PS with you to leave with them!

Should I ask for the LOR and then give them it all if they say yes. Or ask them if they would like to take a look and then decide?

Members don't see this ad :)
I brought in a packet of all my documents and with it in hand said, "Hey Dr. X, I really enjoyed my experiences in your class and was wondering if you would mind helping me get into medical school. I've compiled together several documents of info for you to look over. Would you mind writing me a letter of recommendation?". Every professor I've asked seemed excited to help out. Just be confident. Professors want their students to get into professional schools. It's a good reflection of your alma mater.

Once they've agreed, ask them what info they would need from you (you can suggest CV, transcript, draft of letter, etc.) They will have lots of experience writing letters so they'll probably know exactly what they documents they need from you. Remember, professors are people too -- busy people -- so make the job as easy as possible for them.