asking for LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muhali3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to ask for LORs?

Do you e-mail the teacher first for an appointment and then meet them?

Or do you just walk right into their office when they have office hours and ask them?

The former seems more appropriate, but other threads tend to say to do the latter.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the best way to ask for LORs?

Do you e-mail the teacher first for an appointment and then meet them?

Or do you just walk right into their office when they have office hours and ask them?

The former seems more appropriate, but other threads tend to say to do the latter.

Ask in person.

It depends on the prof. Do what you would usually do if you had a question you need to talk to them about. All my letter writers had true open door policies and I walked by their office 5 times a day anyway. With an appointment you know they'll have time - if in doubt make an appointment.

While it is different for everyone, the conversation to ask them never took me more than 30 secs. I had a packet to hand them with all the information they could need to write me a letter so there was nothing to talk about.

Members don't see this ad :)
I even asked a few professors over email simply because I wasn't on campus over the summer that I asked and they were fine with that method as well but if you have the opportunity I would definitely ask in person!

Two of them I saw often and was already planning on going to their office hours so I obviously asked in person. For the other two, one is on sabbatical so I had to do email and the other I haven't had in class for almost a year so I didn't know his office hours so I emailed him and asked if he wanted to meet up. Either way no seemed to be offended so just go with what you're comfortable with.